Is it worth selling?

JrsGirl84

Hi,
I stumbled across this website while I was looking for information on Sansui radios. I have a T-9 tuner, A-9 amplifier, D-95m cassette deck, FR-D45 turntable, and an AT-15S program timer. I also have the SP-X6900 speakers. Any information anyone could give me on what I have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Amber
:)

Last edited:
Greetings and salutations! Welcome to AK

As for the gear, why not hook it up and give it a listen? Sansui made some outstanding amps and tuners but their other gear wasn't too bad (despite what some say)

Oh, some here say its bad form to make your first post a "How much is all this crap worth and do you want to buy it?". Possible flames ahead...

I'm sorry if some people think my first post was bad form. I didn't realize anyone would be bothered by it and also I didn't mean for it to come off as "how much is this crap worth?" I thought that someone here might be able to give me some kind of information on the items I have since I haven't had much luck.
Sorry if I annoyed anyone. I just don't really know much about these kind of things.

Originally posted by JrsGirl84
Hi,
I stumbled across this website while I was looking for information on Sansui radios.

<<snip>> {{{ to avoid possible urinary problems from some sensitive AK'ers}}}

Any information anyone could give me on what I have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Amber

You might try the Sansui database here which has nearly 1 year's worth of eBay sales data for Sansui products.

I hope that it helps.

Paul

Welcome to AK, Amber. Yeah, I'd hook all this stuff up & see how it sounds-you may not want to sell it then. Sansui was/is pretty good stuff-I think this might have been a pretty good system back when new, & not too shabby today. Just me, but I'd be hesitant to get rid of my dad's stuff-might mean something special to you or your kids (if you have any) down the road. Just a thought, & again, Welcome to AK ! -Sandy G.

JrsGirl84, welcome to AK! :yippy:
I'd check out the database that Modern2004 posted, and also check eBay's completed items for the models you have.
And, if you haven't already, hook it all up and give it a listen as the others are suggesting. We've got many customers who can't believe how good Sansui sounds even compared to new stuff that sells for three times as much. We have a 5050 receiver and 222 turntable set-up, and it sounds great.

I PMed her and she isn't really interested in vintage stereos. She wants to find out what fair market value is for these so if/when she decides to sell them, she won't get ripped off. She was smart enough not to run out to a pawn shop and sell everything for $50.

She sounds like a very sincere young lady who (unlike some post & run visitors) was just looking for info on her dad's old gear.

If she decides to sell, maybe somebody could help her with the ebay description and pics.

I ran an ad in the paper and a man called to ask about it today, he told me that the FR-D45 turntable couldn't possibly go with this set as it is a 4 channel turntable and the T-9 tuner is 2 channel. What does that mean exactly and is it true? Also, would there have to be a reciever with this unit? Maybe there are more pieces I have in storage and didn't know.
I do plan to hook it all up and give it a listen, but mainly just because I don't want to sell it to someone and it not work.
I am really sorry if I am bothering anyone with my posts. I feel a bit out of place because I'm not Sansui savvy or anything. But I do so much appreciate everyones help.

This guy is snowing you, and had no idea what he is talking about. Either that, or he knows exactly what you have and has dollar signs in his eyes.
A receiver is a tuner and amplifier in one box. You have a separate tuner and amplifier, essentially a receiver split into 2. Performance of separates are almost always better.
If you're intention is to sell it, post on the "for sale" board, at least you'll a knowledgable buyer among the membership. ;)

Hi Amber:

Most of the components you have are models that Sansui made in the 1980's that were designed to be used together in a "modest" stereo system (see photo below taken from their 1981 catalog).

Of course, you can mix & match the various components, and it wouldnt make much of a difference- in your case, for example, you have the D95M cassette deck, instead of the D-150M shown in the combo-rack system picture. Sansui made quite alot of other all-in-one, matching systems, such as another system comprised of the smaller A-7 amplfier & T-7 tuner, which the D-95M deck goes together with (which I see in the catalog I have), but really, the actual order of components doesnt mater that much. Ditto the speakers, in the pic shown below, the speakers are the S-57's, whereas you have the slightly older design SP-X6900.

As for the selling the stuff, well..... all the components are decent, but as I mentioned before, its geared more toward a 'modest' system, they're really not in the class of the more expensive & better built products that Sansui made. And I dont mean to say that in a way that sounds like I am belittling what you have, I'm just stating the general facts, hopefully you understand.

Well, one advantage you have is that the A-9, at 65 watts of power, is the largest model of the three in the A-9, A-7, and A-5 models, so with that in mind, you can generally get more $$ with the larger size amps (as opposed to the smaller, lower wattage models in the product Line). And somewhat to the same degree, ditto the corresponding Tuners ("radios") T-9, T-7, & T-5.

Quite honestly, if you can get $100 for it all, its about what its worth. I suppose if you had the actual GX-95 rack to put all the componenets in, you could sell for more $. There are some people out there who seem to like Sansui speakers, so perhaps selling the speakers separately might bring in some more $$ for you. You can check Ebay to see what the interest is in Sansui speakers and what the avg prices are - you can do a search on 'Sansui Speakers' for the auctions that are currently running, and also the 'Completed Auctions' of the last month. Another option is to check a similar model to yours such as the this one, the next model above:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5709321893&rd=1

Keep in mind, when it comes to speakers, its preferable to sell them to someone who can pick them up from you in person, as shipping them is a delicate procedure - speakers need to be packed with the utmost care in order to avoid damage in the shipping process, and the effort in doing that is quite time-consuming.

B/F

Back
Top Bottom