Is Marrs Communications dead?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Aerochrome, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerochrome

Aerochrome New Member

About two months ago I ordered belts for a few items, and although I received them but about half of the belts were the wrong size. I have sent several emails to Marrs communications at the addresses listed for krista and hope over the past 2 months, but I have received no response. Has anyone had recent dealings with Marrs?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. drumbum

drumbum Super Member

Yesssssssssssssssssss. Care to hear my experience?
    Maybe through PM? I was sent to band camp for a week on another forum for telling the TRUTH!

jimbo2k and kmulkey like this.
  3. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man? Subscriber

They have been hit or miss for years. About every other order, you would have to start a thread over on tapeheads so that you would get your order.
    Though I had never previously heard anything bad about the quality, or getting the wrong belts.

4. Vinylcafe

Vinylcafe Linvin' the Dream

Just ordered a belt kit from them a week ago.
    A few days later got a note from Krista; they were on the way.
    Fred's got help, things seem better.
    Plus, while not the cheapest - his belts are very high quality.

5. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am having issues with them right now actually. Will follow up here if and when they come through, but thus far I am concerned.

6. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man? Subscriber

Thanks for posting, Fred.
    Hopefully we'll be seeing more of you here.

7. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

Communication is vital! Thanks for checking in. :thumbsup:

8. kmulkey

kmulkey AK Subscriber Subscriber

LOL

jimbo2k likes this.
  9. alteclipsch

alteclipsch Super Member

Wow, what a way to run a business in the 21st century. Family or not, customer service is everything today. Why would I or anyone else buy something and wait months for it to maybe show up? No thanks...

10. Marine0811

Marine0811 I love it loud! Subscriber

I personally believe there is quality in dealing with a small family owned business. Belts are a hard thing to replace, so why wouldn’t you want the best product you can buy. I think it was big of Fred to explain their situation and reason for delay

Furiousedge and John James like this.
  11. Dazaa

Dazaa Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I saw a number of similar complaints on here a few years back.

What a fantastic way to run a business...

drumbum likes this.

12. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Respectfully disagree with your assessment.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of a much bigger problem, and that problem is the unwillingness to meet your customers' needs in a timely manner. I sincerely hope you don't look back regretting that decision of not hiring an additional employee or two.

Sam Cogley likes this.
  13. mgosdin

mgosdin Well-Known Member

To Be Honest, I doubt that Fred can afford to hire any additional employees. His is a very small business and I seriously doubt that it is a big money maker, more likely it is a labor of love.

Mark Gosdin

John James likes this.
  14. alteclipsch

alteclipsch Super Member

IMO, if it was a labor of love, he would communicate delays and other issues to explain why customers aren't being served.

15. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

For what it's worth, and if anyone cares, I've used this place quite successfully for turntable belts. It ain't cheap but they do deliver.

http://www.elexatelier.com/index.htm

16. w1jim

w1jim I can fix it but good... Subscriber

If your business can’t provide adequate service with your current team and you can’t afford to hire additional people then your business model and pricing are ill-conceived.
    If the market won’t support higher prices and your customers expect better service then you are ultimately doomed to fail.

jimbo2k likes this.

17. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Dang another bashing thread. As a TH member, I see a good bit of discussion and Fred's participation there to explain things better. There are things wrong with his business practices like creating the shipping label that provides a tracking number and this makes the customer feel like the belts are on the way when he may have to research what belts and then retrieve them, package them and ship them...at the Post Office. Folks want info on delays...how about the over 100 emails a day he receives, how long can one spend on each one before the day is spent and no work gets done. What about the fact that he was flooded out of his house in TX not too long ago, don't know which flood and he has relocated, no slack for acts of God and nature?

We are in an instant gratification phase of consumerism and if one doesn't abide they get the rocks thrown. Maybe do as Fred suggests and if you gotta right now don't use his belts. He has better belts, the techs know it and order from him as needed but they also order from other sources. Some machines just don't require the quality of belt that Fred supplies.

You folks are saying that if he can't come up to today's expectations he should close up shop...where will you be then, needing a specific belt for that high buck machine with no suppliers, just the generic crap that is 'supposed' to work. We know about those cheap belts on the Thorens turntables. There is only one belt that will keep a non-speed adjustable Thorens running at the correct speed and it is the Thorens belt. Since that is one belt for many turntables, the sellers only stock one belt and sell it all day long to those that want the right belt. I believe the machines Fred has belts for used different belts for every machine, every function and even every year of manufacture, like ink cartridges for a printer it isn't universal. Keep up the bashing and maybe you won't be able to get belts for you machine and you will have a serious speed problem with generic or a doorstop.

But I still think that Fred could do a much better job, but I don't know the inner workings of the operation and I'm pretty sure as mentioned it won't support more employees. I wish him luck in keeping the business going as I may need some belts some day. My Thorens tables have Thorens belts and I'd like to think I can put Marrs Communications belts on my tape machines.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  18. just dave

just dave vintage rules!

Glad your keepin it small and in the family.Too bad you didn't have more kids. :) Do you have belts for cassette boomboxes as well?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  19. just dave

just dave vintage rules!

Who's Keith?

20. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

There are some that have replied to this thread but I'm not naming names. He probably meant Dave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.