1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Is Marrs Communications dead?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Aerochrome, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man? Subscriber

The first time I ordered, it was seriously eight months. All emails were totally ignored. I started a thread on Tapeheads and had my belts within a week.
    So I gave him another chance. Got my belts in less than two weeks. OK, that's a little more like it.
    Right now I'm at two weeks, and the apparently auto-generated tracking number has gone nowhere.

One of my theories is that he doesn't keep much inventory on hand. He waits until he has a large number of orders and then puts in his order to the vendor. In the time it takes to accumulate enough orders, he loses track of who wanted what, or just loses some of the customer information. Hence the long wait times, and orders that go completely unfilled.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bodyblue

Bodyblue AK Subscriber Subscriber

I went to the Tapeheads site and the first thing one sees is the disclaimer that they no longer take PayPal....and only accept checks or money orders. That right there is a HUGE red flag for me. They take your CASH and you are stuck. A buyer has almost ZERO way to get their money back, unlike with a credit card company or PayPal. Shdy, shady, shady

3. Bodyblue

Bodyblue AK Subscriber Subscriber

Anybody notice this from last Oct?

"SUNDAY 10/1/17

Effective Today, Krista Marrs is the sole owner of Marrs Communications.

All Responsibilities are now in the hands of my Daughter.

I wish nothing but the Best !

Krista has not added a employee to replace me yet. Keep this in Mind.

I will continue to help out with RESEARCH only, and Will be starting a

completely New website for Custom and Factory " Capstan Belts " in the Future.

krista@marrscom.com

Fred M.

fred@marrsfactorybelts.com
    "

4. alteclipsch

alteclipsch Super Member

Step one: send email to order belts
    Two: send payment
    Three: wait
    Four: wait more, get worried
    Five: wait more, get angry
    Six: send email
    Seven: wait for belts or communication
    Eight: wait more, post here
    Nine: get immediate response with lame excuse
    Ten: wait more
    Etc, etc, etc.
    Consider your money lost.

That's too many steps for no return.

steveUK, tarior and Bodyblue like this.
  5. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

To find belts for tape players.....

Turntable Needles.com
    2517 NW 9th St
    Corvallis, Ore. 97330

Bodyblue likes this.
  6. arts

arts Super Member

Nice Beez! :)

7. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli AK Subscriber Subscriber

Bob, you make good points. But there's a minimum expectation after someone accepts payment:

A) I receive my product/service.
    B) I get an email/phone call as to why I haven't received my product/service.

There's another old quote from the 60's

Just give me your money. I'll bring back the dope.

Not that I think Fred is ripping anyone off. I believe that he's overwhelmed by demand. But if you haven't gotten what you paid for the end result is the same. I can wrap all the understanding in the world around my tape deck transport and it still won't move.

The guys on AK with a 6 month backlog tell you they have a 6 month backlog. A disclaimer on Fred's web site would go a long way to mitigating these kinds of threads. It might cut down on his orders, but at this point that's not a bad thing.

You should place orders for your 6 decks now. Maybe you'll get them.

I was not able to repair other people's gear in a timely manner while holding down a full time job. So I stopped doing it. Because there's an expectation I wasn't able to meet.

dbxdx5 and Bodyblue like this.
  8. audiojones

audiojones Jonesin' for audio Subscriber

Now that right there is the most quotable quote I’ve heard in a long time! :thumbsup:

dbxdx5 likes this.
  9. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli AK Subscriber Subscriber

I get eloquent when I'm cranky :)

dbxdx5 likes this.
  10. kink56

kink56 Member

I am having the same problem. They do not fulfill orders in a timely manner, nor do they respond to inquiries about said order. First time I ordered this year, I cancelled after 3 weeks of not receiving items. I ordered again on April 22nd and here it is May 16, no word on shipment. On the day I ordered the website stated there was a 5 day shipping delay. Now it states there is a permanent 10 day shipping delay. But never has it said there is a 3 week or more shipping delay. They say they are deluged with emails. My advice would be ship sooner, you will get less emails! You are creating unnecessary work for yourselves.

My earlier order this year was on March 20th and had to ask for a refund on April 12th. After screwing the pooch so badly the first time, I could not imagine they would make the same mistake again. I first started buying belts from them over 10 years ago. Back then they shipped within a day or two. Now they seem to be in over their head. I understand they lost everything in a natural disaster about 5 years ago. But I wonder if they will ever be able to recover the proper operation of their business?

I was in business for 10 years and my customers NEVER had to wait more than a week for their order to be shipped and 95% of my orders were shipped the next day. Of course I never allowed anything on my website to be for sale UNLESS I already had back stock waiting on the shelves!

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    steveUK likes this.
  11. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Ten years ago might have been the time to buy from Marrs, unfortunately. The downside has been discussed but another positive is that Fred says no one has ever not gotten belts or a refund. So he isn't taking the money and running. He takes the money and eventually someone might ship belts or the buyer gets disappointed and cancels the order. I honestly don't know how this business can be so dysfunctional but it is amazing how long it takes some to get their orders.

Reading Fred's posts on Tapeheads leads me to believe he spends too much time using color and fonts and stuff instead of filling orders. And your first comment, send product, cut down on emails is 100% true. I really would like to see this operation become a viable, valuable part of the vintage gear community but there doesn't seem to be a way to get there from here and it will remain hit and miss.

steveUK likes this.

12. kink56

kink56 Member

Not having the knowledge or the resources Marrs has built up, it would take me a few years to get such a business up an running properly. But WITH the knowledge and resources Marrs has built up I KNOW how I would run the business! It would be much like how I ran mine. (I used to wind pickups and offered 19 different models, which required a deep inventory of many parts and a back stock of each pickup model I offered). I never, ever, ever allowed a particular part supply to dwindle and ALWAYS kept filling the back stock of individual models of pickups. Every time I sold a set, I would ship it the next day (or the same day if the timing was right) and proceeded to wind the replacement back stock.

The belts supply I would handle in this manner:

I would prepackage every conceivable belt combination as my back stock. They would hang in bags on rods on the walls in a dedicated room, or in compartments in a large drawer cabinet. I would have learned how deep I would have to have back stock for each order. Some may have to be 50 deep, others maybe only 5 deep. In another room I would have individual belts hanging to draw from to assemble those packages or to fulfill "odd" orders that do not come up often enough to even deserve a pre-packaged back stock. I would organize the packages alphabetically by brand and alpha-numerically by model. I would also organize loose belts by a certain system based on size and/or model number.

One has to INVEST a LOT of money in stocking the crap your selling! Of course there may be shrinkage due to some parts hanging around long enough to either deteriorate or fall drastically out of demand. But that is part of the expense of doing business. Making a customer WAIT is probably the MOST EXPENSIVE part of doing business!! And it is far reaching and permanent, or at least almost impossible to recover.

I had two competitors that were noteworthy. One took money and THEN bought parts to fulfill orders! It took him MONTHS to do what I did in one day (fulfill orders). The other did the same but eventually NEVER fulfilled orders and had many, many excuses which were in effect delay tactics. One of which was his paypal was hacked.

I am very organized and I make decisions quickly and easily. I HATE waiting and more than that I HATE when anyone has to wait for me.

On the rare occasion I went on vacation, I either took down the "add to cart" from my website OR I put up a banner that stated shipments would be delayed by two weeks. And while on vacation, I answered my emails EVERY day, except travel days (I take road trip vacations). I find it inexcusable that businesses, including contractors, cannot accurately estimate delivery time or time of completion. They love to over promise and under deliver with the false impression that they will get more customers with over promising. You may get them ONCE, but never again, and furthermore a disgruntled customer with work very hard to dissuade others from buying from you.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    steveUK, EastPoint, Mark B and 3 others like this.
  13. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

Threads like this are the reason I haven't gotten around to ordering belts for some tape decks that really need them. :(

arts likes this.
  14. alteclipsch

alteclipsch Super Member

Well said. I had a small business for several years. It was very labor intensive and I had to stay on top of inventory at all times and communication was key in every transaction. I had a day job too, so I was busy. But I never had a complaint. Solely because of communication, something these marss people ignore.

15. kink56

kink56 Member

Yeah, we have too many emails so we do not answer them is not a good policy. As it has been said, if you take care of business, you will not have as many emails and if you answer all emails thoroughly, you will not have as many follow-up emails. Net result: workload is reduced. It is all too common in all walks of life, people confuse effort with results. I like to put in the LEAST amount of effort for the most accomplished. I am too lazy to put in wasted effort!

16. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Based on my conversations with Fred, he's out of the picture. Not even in the same state. His daughter Krista allegedly is now the owner and it seems to me she isn't taking the business seriously at all and unfortunately Fred is looking at things with rose colored glasses for his daughter. At least that's my impression.

steveUK likes this.

17. kink56

kink56 Member

I guess when you get a goldmine handed to you on a silver platter, you don't notice the silver platter and forsake the goldmine.

John James and Dazaa like this.
  18. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

Has anyone used RevoxDE? I got some belts for an Onkyo DX-G10 (yes it’s not a tape deck, but they sell those too) and the quality seems pretty good.

19. Blue Shadow

I do believe you have no idea of the vastness of the replacement belt possibilities for tape machines. Having even 5 deep of the sets would be a monumental task. Have you seen the PRB belt cross reference manual? It lists hundreds maybe thousands of tape machines and is in no way even close to complete. This list is using PRB belts, not the proper belt for the machine and like ink cartridges every machine might have a different set of belts, one for some 5 for others. Just the knowledge base can be overwhelming.

20. Blue Shadow

This would be bad all around. Fred was the difference between his belts and others. If Krista is flying solo, I can't think she would have the desire to put up with the business needs and I don't know if she would go to the lengths of sourcing belts in Japan for the machines and just sell what she has until gone or a big bag of belts is leftover. Too much hassle for the limited income.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.