Is Mc good "inside"?

jay

Hi guys,

(Although my question might not sound like it, I'm looking for honest opinions, not trolling)

I ran across an old thread where a well-known vintage repair guy was quoted as saying something to the effect that McIntosh is built stoutly and so on, but inside, electrically is just so-so, really nothing special at all.

Is this a fair statement? It wouldn't bother me if it is, as I think good looks and solid construction are virtues of their own.

So what do you tech-oriented guys say about it?

Jay

Oh, I dunno. I've worked on my fair share of Mc stuff in the past. They aren't known to use esoteric caps or resistors, but then again, they don't use cheap asian sourced stuff either. From what I've seen, they try to use as much American sourced components as they possibly can. I really never had a problem with their build quality other than a few cases where they used plastic around the meters that would deteriorate from heat. But, as I mentioned in another thread, McIntosh is very good about customer support and keeping replacement parts on hand. I give them a BIG :thmbsp:

In a word, consistency

I, too, have worked on a number of Mac models, mostly tubed stuff, which was always the most eye-pleasing inside. I use consistency because Mac does not tend to go into fad-type circuit topologies. Like any industry, there are passing fads where the industry's marketing community attempts to create mindshare by promoting some esoteric aspect of amplification as some new-and-improved doohickey. Mac has, instead, stayed close to a few self-developed technologies using well-known circuits. Things like autoformers and Power Guard are examples. They provide clear benefit and provide direct added value to the ownership of Mac gear.

On the quality of build, let's take a look at the MC-225. Here we have a pretty standard push-pull 25W/chl amp with a pretty common voltage amp/phase splitter stage and the finals with a self-biasing circuit to minimize user involvement in maintenance. Inside, we find the power supply components well-separated with metal shielding from the audio amp components on the other side of the chassis.

Inside the audio side, we find a thick phenolic board with the capacitory mounted on one side and all the resistors mounted to the other - a nice touch. All the original wiring runs in parallel, where possible and they always make 90 degree turns when needed. Excellent dress-out details that says alot for the personell Mac used on their production lines.

The fact that most of the components remain operational after 40 years (with the usual cap replacements discussed here - do a search) just tells me that the consistency continues. For me, that's value.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

It is trash, garbage, over-hyped; design and build quality far below that standard of the the industry - Yorx. Environmentla hazards such as chrome, dangers to children with those glass front panels, too many bulbs behinf the panel and meters buring up precious fossil fuels, heavy wood enclsures destroying trees., when it is proven they are not needed. Sound that causes amnesia since it make you forget you are really into equipment rolliong and not appreciating the music.

To save all you poor fools with delusions, I have the ability to safely store of or dispose of these accursed units and free you from their harmful effects and delusions of quality.

My service records speak for themselves. I don't have any. I have not had to touch my C22. Had to replace a couple of tubes in my MR67. Not bad for 40 years of use. One of my MC2500s is virgin and the other had a meter opamp replaced. Had to replace light bulbs in both amps but not the preamp or the tuner. Mc generally uses standard parts, not custom stuff so they remain servicable for decades. I may have to clean the pots and switches in the C22 soon. AFAIK, it will be the first time the unit has been touched.

Here's the acid test IMO.

Visit a hi-fi store that carries Mac (on dispaly). Compare Mac gear to any of the other hi-end electronics there in terms of construction and quality - mano a mano - in real life - not pictures. Take off the covers.

I can almost guarantee you will be favourably impressed and would not hesitate for a second that you are getting your money's worth. Can't be said with a lot of other high priced hi-fi gear you see.

Yeah there are a some hobbyists out there who second guess designs of 40-year old Mac gear ...pointless. Forty years later ... the stuff still sounds good and is well constructed ...have you ever seen the rat's nest under a Scott or Sherwood tube chassis?

Mac is like buying a Rolex watch ... you buy it once, and should last you a fife-time with good care. No exotic electronic circuits, but classically engineered to sound good and last a very long time.

Last edited:
Originally posted by CELT
Oh, I dunno. I've worked on my fair share of Mc stuff in the past. They aren't known to use esoteric caps or resistors, but then again, they don't use cheap asian sourced stuff either. From what I've seen, they try to use as much American sourced components as they possibly can. I really never had a problem with their build quality other than a few cases where they used plastic around the meters that would deteriorate from heat. But, as I mentioned in another thread, McIntosh is very good about customer support and keeping replacement parts on hand. I give them a BIG :thmbsp:

This is true I had no problem getting a knew face plate for one of my vintage Mac units.

Having said all that, Mc does have its limits on keeping certain decorative spares around. You can't exactly go down to the Chevy dealer and get a rear view mirror for a 1963 Impala, sort of the same applies with Mc.

Last edited:
Rich wrote: "Having said all that, Mc does have its limits on keeping certain decorative spares around. You can't exactly go down to the Chevy dealer and get a rear view mirror for a 1963 Impala, sort of the same applies with Mc"

True...nor should we expect them to. However, I was impressed that they were able to supply me with a new glass panel for my nearly ten year old MCD7008 this past year as well as a set of belts for its Nak sourced transport. (Especially since Nakamichi doesn't care if anything they manufacture makes it past their warranty period.)

My MX112 needed a new faceplate a few(?) years ago. I called
the McIntosh parts dept. and they told me there were none in
stock. But if I wanted to put my name on a list they would contact
me when they had enough requests to do a run, so I did. It was about 10 months later I received an email telling me there was a fresh one with my name on it. I found it totally amazing the fact they would even do this sort of thing for a 30 year old MX. :thmbsp:

Carl

Back
Top Bottom