Is McIntosh worth it?

I'd say yes, just for the fact that you can send them any piece of equipment they've ever made & they'll restore it. I doubt Sony will restore anything from their 1974 Tapecorder line.

On audigon, I found a new 402 amp for $3750, it may have been less, I can't remember, from a dealer who was trying to close out his fiscal year. I have had dealers offer me substantial discounts on trade-ins that were much more than the value of my used equipment. I had an email contact from a guy who promised me any mac gear at a substantial discount, but honestly I never did take him up on the offer. Was it last summer McIntosh had an amp trade-in deal? I paid $1700 for a pristine MC300, used, and I think my local dealer offered me $3000 for it against a new amp.

Thanks. I do check AudioGon for Mac deals. I would prefer to buy new. I don't know if the warranty is transferable, or, what the warranty period is, for that matter...

Not too up on Mac because of the high prices. :sigh:

Mac warranties are not transferable (unlike Bryston, whose 20 year warranties are transferable). But with most Mac gear you're unlikely to need service for many years.

If you want good value Mac gear try Audio Classics in Vestal NY (near Mac HQ). They're undobutedly the #1 dealer for used Mac gear. I bought my C41 preamp and MC352 amp from them - neither could be told from brand new. They're not cheap, but they're extremely reliable. In audio gear like in cars, it's cheaper to buy used in excellent condition, than to buy a fixer upper and then spend the $ to fix it.

I have never had any McIntosh gear. It does appear to command some very high prices. My question is, does McIntosh gear sound that much better or is it a name thing. I am sure it is excellent gear but why such high prices. Is it a nostalga(sp) thing. I am seeking understanding here.:scratch2:

I’ve owned very expensive Denon equipment that failed after only 2 years. I’ve currently got a Pioneer SC37 that I am careful with not to overdrive it because it blew the pre-amp in the first year. I just purchased a McIntosh MAC7200 after considerable research to use just for audio with an Avid turntable and driving Martin Logan Source speakers with a Dynamo sub. I plan on swapping out the Source and Dynamo for a pair of Theos and a more powerful sub later (maybe a Dynamo but looking at Rel too). However my research led me to the conclusion that the company behind your equipment (as is the case with Martin Logan) is why McIntosh is a clear choice for my audio room. The specs on the MAC7200 are simply brilliant and the price for a piece of equipment at this caliber is competitive if not a clear winner.

Last edited:
Would you rather have a Dodge Demon or a Volvo sedan? The Dodge will give you more of a thrill, will burn more fuel, and get you there faster in the short run. The Volvo has a proven reputation of getting you there with, style, grace, beauty and safety. And twenty or 30 years from now the style and performance of the Volvo will be something for you still enjoy. The Dodge will most likely either be in a junk yard or being driven by some kid to impress his girl.

Davie Obrien use to say back in the 70's there was no reason other manufacturers couldn't match Mcintosh's performance and dependability if they wanted to do so by other means. He still felt Mcintoshs superiority in producing transformers and autoformers was the extra Ace in their pocket. My oldiest piece of Mac is 49 years old and has been rebuilt once 5 years ago. The second oldest which will be 47 or 48 this Spring has never been touched except replacing a few light bulbs. (MC2505). It doesn't perform near as well as their current stuff and a lot of Marantz early SS owners felt it did not sound as good. And for some folks I guess it didn't. But hind sight has proven to be 20/20 and the little 2505 with its supposed colored sound is still in demand. Now I admit I didn't pay full retail for it. But if I had it still would have only cost me $10.00 a year for great sound and freedom from repairs.

Having been in the broadcast, Communication, and Sound industries for over 40years, the last thing I ever wanted was to have my system in the shop. Having owned, Crown, Ampex, Fisher, Scott, Nakamichi, Revox, Sony, Mitsubishi, Marantz, DBX, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite, Dolby, Ortofon, Shure, Stanton, London, SME, Thorens, Technics, Miracord, Dual, Neumann, AKG, Sennheiser, Koss, Signet, Rabco, Bozak, Altec, Klipsch, UREI, etc. Only three names have provided equal as satisfying service with freedom from maintenance issues. Thorens, Bozak, and Klipsch. In this case none of them were electronics. My current Dynavector is very satisfying, but it will wear out by its very nature. A lot of people slam Mcintosh, because of seemingly short comings. The big one being cost.

My reply to that is if it weren't for Mcintosh prices other top tier products would a lot higher, because its Mcintosh with its sound engineering, long service life, reputation for making the customer happy, and being priced fairly keeps the other guys honest. Look at ARC prices, or Boulder, Accuphase, etc. Look at Klipsch, people are always critsizing their sound. But if you want full concert level in the home, with out having to pay big bucks for power Klipsch is the value leader. There're better TT out there than Thorens, but for the dollars spent and the performance given in return can you really can't criticize Thorens. If Technics had stayed the coarse and built their SL TT with a little more stamina I might include them as a valued product. I would like to include Marantz and Citation, but they are here in name only. There products from the 60's aren't supported today.

I'm some times an instant gratification guy, but you learn over the years when you find a selection of anything that makes you happy you keep it. If it fails you all to often then you replace it with something better. I owned almost every piece Mac, Marantz, and a lot of Scott and Fisher in the 60's and early 70's. And I learned the hard way that Mcintosh is the value leader giving the best and most consistent performance over the long hall. So now being retired and not being able to buy the latest from Mac on a whim, I haven't needed to do so in over 38 years. My 207's, 206, MX 151, MR-80, MPI-4 MC 2505, MP100, C-34, RFD2, MR 7084, MR 78, MX 120, MVP-861 AND MVP 891 are all great pieces. So were all my MC 60's, 275's, 240's, MC 754, MC 2125, MA 230, C-20,C-22, C-28, C-29, MR71, MR-67, MR-74, MR-77, MC 2100, MC2200, MC 2250, and I should have waited for MC 7200's but I didn't. If I had bought 4 MC-3500's I guarantee I would still have them. Of course I would have to have a C500 T to go with them.

When I had to be involved with consumer electronics I hated seeing customers who became friends throw their money away on product I knew would fail them all to soon. I always wanted them to buy Mcintosh. Those that did still thank me if I happen to see them at gatherings or on the street. No other brand that originated that long ago has given satisfying, consistent, high quality sound reproduction, while standing behind every piece whether under warranty or not. If it hadn't, the company would have disappeared long ago and demand would've disappeared. Mcintosh is not just about the stylish sound being produced at a current moment in time. Its like owning A Stradivarius, A Steinway, A Duisenberg, an Aston Martin or a Rolls.

Its obvious the guy has never ridden in a Bentley. I have. The CEO of the company that built my motor home took me and others to lunch in his one day. I have also ridden in customers Rolls Royce, There is a level of sophistication that surrounds you in an experience not even Mercedes can approach. The old 600 with the air systems maybe be the exception. Its like the fit and finish on a JBL Paragon or the Big Tannoy's. Sure an Altec 604 competes with a Tannoy. But if you had the coin I guarantee you would have a Westminster Tannoy in living room rather than Altec in some grey Utility box. I'm also sure you would rather have a Lexus rather than a Toyota.

I had a very difficult choice back in the 60's. Mac or Marantz. Mac amps easily won that contest, but pre-amps. The controls on the 7C were so smooth and felt great. But other wise the build quality of a Marantz was no better than my Fishers, So I bought a C-22 Mcintosh. There a lot owners that love their updated and restored Fisher, Dyna, Scott, Citation. But when it comes down to brass knuckles Mcintosh always takes the win. Now if you want to talk about Mac versus ARC or Accuphase. I can see some folks buying either at two to three times the price of the Mac for that special feeling, presentation, sound, what ever.

Look at my photo to the left, you will see two Mac pieces approaching 50 years old with a piece just introduced in the last year. Their are pieces 10, 15, 25, 35+years old. The SAE piece which was supposed to be the down fall of Mac looks second class and performs like one. The Crown is waiting for a repair appointment again. The look and feel aren't so great either. And you wonder why people love Mcintosh?

Back
Top Bottom