Is MQA in your Future?

I became curious about MP3 (lossy) once ... so I read about the format and it's creator. This led me to Psychoacoustics.
Long story short ... lossy and lossless became meaningless to me IMHO since the ear/brain combinations is not acting like a microphone (picking up everything) anyway.

Is there a not like button?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...-encoded-flac-vs-normal-optimized-hires-flac/

QOBUZ is coming to the US and will stream actual hi-res lossless when it does. No MQA.

The whole key to that link you posted was summed up in the words
“ without MQA capability look like?”

They did comparisons and couldn’t be troubled to actually aquire a dac that had MQA capable for the evaluations? If you want to evaluate a codec do everyone a favor and actually have the proper equipment to preform a thorough examination.

As far as Qubuz is concerned, please by all means come to America, I’ll definitely subscribe. As of right now however Quboz is vaporware on this side of the pond.

Hopefully Qobuz has the financial backing to pull off the expansion and continue to still operate for the future because their survival was seriously in doubt a while back. It’s my hope that one of these lossless streaming outfits can survive long enough to attract a company with hugh money reserves to absorb them without depending on them to actually make money. That will probably be only way that any streaming,lossy or not can make it long term.

Actually I’m paying for Tidal lossless with MQA content as a bonus. Plus I get a military discount so I’m all good!

And damn, it sounds good!
Those were files that were PLAYED through an MQA DAC and recoded from the analog output. Same with the FLAC files. So yes, they DID USE AN MQA DAC. The graphs in that link were the RESULT OF THAT DECODING and what came out of the DAC from those files - what you are hearing.

Paying for a 192/24 file and really getting an 88.2/17 file
m

And after 424 (excluding my own, this) replies, I still don't have any better sense of MQA than it is a sound file format (codec?) of some stripe. Guess I gotta venture out to the interwebs to gain (any?) insight re: this MQA thing.
Good luck! It's like asking about Area 51 or Scalar Energy. ;)

The whole key to that link you posted was summed up in the words
“ without MQA capability look like?”

The whole point of that link was about MQA size for streaming distribution and how it isn't a plus for MQA as they claim. No MQA DAC was required to do that analysis, it's purely on a data level.

The whole point of that link was about MQA size for streaming distribution and how it isn't a plus for MQA as they claim. No MQA DAC was required to do that analysis, it's purely on a data level.

Thankfully we listen to music, at least some of us do.:rockon:

These golden eared audio gods probably couldn’t detect an actual watermark without a scope to show them it’s there. Smart money says they would be guessing at best.

I’ve had many friends admiring my system from both the audio and visual perspective and not once could anyone detect the source of the material as I switched seamlessly between rips, digital downloads and the stream controlling Audirvana from my iPad,

Last edited:
Thankfully we listen to music, at least some of us do.:rockon:
Sure, but the raison d'être for MQA -- at least from a consumer's point of view -- is that it supposedly requires less bandwidth than transmitting lossless content, but at the expense of being lossy. If it turns out that you can transmit lossless content of equivalent resolution with less or the same bandwidth consumption, what is the justification for MQA?

Why is an inferior option desirable?

It's like having a choice between two different bottles for a craft ale: the existing bottle that keeps the beer fresh and tasty, and a new bottle that leaks but the bottle manufacturer claims it improves the flavour.

Vaporware is the only other option to MQA streaming presently, full bodied MQA ale with a wonderful head on top vs an empty bottle potentially full of Qobuz on a date yet to be determined

Wow! News flash! Hi-res downloads are available?!?!

Good thing I know that already! I’ve got a load of dsd, flac hi Rez downloads...

Wow! News flash! Hi-res downloads are available?!?!

Good thing I know that already! I’ve got a load of dsd, flac hi Rez downloads...
Cool. Which would you rather have -- high-resolution FLAC & DSD downloads, or MQA downloads?

Why?

Last edited:
These golden eared audio gods probably couldn’t detect an actual watermark without a scope to show them it’s there. Smart money says they would be guessing at best.

You would appear to be "guessing at best" by this statement since you have no idea what others hear or don't.

Back
Top Bottom