Is my CD player killing my receiver? Is that even possible?

Looking4help

I have a Panasonic DVD-CD 37 player (Manual: http://www.dvdplayer-manual.com/manuals/panasonic/Panasonic_DVD-CV37.pdf).

It is plugged into an Optimus STAV3370 receiver. (Manual: http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/doc62/62589.pdf)

The receiver runs a pair of Infinity Quantum-3 speakers. I recapped them recently. They are 4-Ohm speakers. I never turn them up very loud.

I purchased the receiver new a long time ago to run the speakers, which were a gift from a friend. I got the CD player 15 or 16 years ago, also new.

About 5 years ago, something went wrong. The radio would work on the receiver, but when I pushed the button for the CD player, nothing came out. I moved the CD input to the DVD terminals, pushed that button, and it worked. So I left it like that.

A year or two ago, the DVD terminals stopped working, so I moved the inputs back to the CD terminals and it worked again.

Recently, after recapping the speakers, I took some time to enjoy some Rush, "Spirit of the Radio" at a volume that justified the expense of recapping the speakers. Afterwards, it stopped working.

The radio still sounds fine.

So I moved the CD input wires to the turntable terminals. That worked at first, but now it sounds terrible.

But the radio still sounds fine.

What might be going wrong with my system?

If I open up the stereo receiver, is there anything I should be looking for as a likely symptom for my problem?

Is there something I should be testing in the CD player?

Thanks,

Chris

First thing I would suspect is the cables. Either an intermittent connection in them, or the outer ground connectors fit too loose. Replace them, it's a cheap and easy solution.

After that it may be an intermittent connection on the input jacks of the receiver or the output jacks of the CD player.

Using the CD player on a turntable input is a bad move as its designed for a lower level signal and more than likely has equalization built in for vinyl playback. It's possible to damage speakers or receiver this way if played loud and for long time periods. Especially the speakers.

If you think the CD player is abusing the receiver, you are going to need video evidence to prove that to the authorities. Perhaps even a written statement from the receiver also.

Regards
Mister Pig

I would first clean all the switches an buttons with Deoxit/ contact cleaner first. Blow all the dust an dirt out of the reciever. Second, AND the MOST IMPORTANT do not ever, never ever hook anything in to the turntable inputs other than a turntable. That's probably why it sounds like crap because a turntable input on any reciever is specifically designed an calibrated for only a turntable. You may want to double check all connections an solder joints as well. Overtime with heat, etc they can break or come loose. There's a great link in the solid state forum describing a " how to Deoxit for beginners" that you certainly need to check out.

If you think the CD player is abusing the receiver, you are going to need video evidence to prove that to the authorities. Perhaps even a written statement from the receiver also.

:D

If I read the manuals correctly, the audio output voltage of the DVD/CD player says it is 2v RMS but the input sensitivity of the receiver is 200mV. Not sure if by sensitivity they mean the lowest signal that the input will detect or more of an average guideline. It might be over driving the input enough that the receiver stops working on that input then when disconnected, it resets itself. Highly unlikely given the amount of time frame it takes before it acts up on you.

I would start with cables as Mister Pig mentioned...

2V is normal for most any DVD/CD player. I like using my DVD player to play CD's as my regular Kenwood CD player is only 1.5 V output.

I really don't believe that any DVD/CD player can damage any equipment unless it develops a critical short somehow. Never seen it happen.................yet!

In my experience, its usually cables or..........possibly a bad solder connection from the jacks to the circuit board. Cleaning helps too!

(...) Not sure if by sensitivity they mean the lowest signal that the input will detect or more of an average guideline. (...)

Neither. Input sensitivity tells you the minimum input voltage that is required to drive the amp to its rated output with the volume control (and/or respectively the input level control(s)) turned up to the maximum. In case of receivers, integrated amps and power-amps the rated output usually is the maximum output power, in case of pre-amps the rated output voltage.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Okay, I feel dumb.

To listen with headphones (not supplied), insert the headphones’1/4-inch plug into the receiver’s front panel PHONES jack. To silence the speakers and listen with headphones without disturbing others, press SPEAKER so only SP appears on the display.​

http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/doc62/62597.pdf, page 17.

I always wondered what that button did. I pushed it while I was experimenting today and out came the music.

On the nice side, I learned that it has Pioneer labels on the inside.

Thanks again and have a good day,

Chris

Yep at that time optimus was made by Pioneer. I had a friend that had an optimus and it controlled exactly like a Pioneer I had. Also I had an Rca receiver from radio shack and the inside was all Pioneer. There must have been quite a long string of equipment for rs made by Pioneer. I wonder if the Sherwood stuff they sell now is pioneer.

The Rca I had got broke but I held on to the remote I had for it for a long time. Eventually I ended up with a Pioneer receiver without a remote and low and behold the Rca remote worked perfect for it. Controlled all functions great.

Back
Top Bottom