Is no remote for Yamaha RX-Vxxxx series a big deal?

Anyone selling anything without the original remote says to me that's someone who doesn't and didn't take care of the "whatever".

Or they lived in a world where batteries leak, kids/dogs do stuff they shouldn't, and objects occasionally find the tile floor the hard way. The other 99.99% of how the remote was cared for no longer matters.

I bought a yamaha rx-v2500 for 15 dollars at a thrift store. I had an older yammy remote that controlled basic functions as power on / off and volume control. it would also switch functions from radio,dvd, tape ..etc. However it would not let me get to most of the functions for basic setup like speaker size, distance, level and so on.....
So I bought a almost new remote control for it for almost $60. It was still worth it to get the original remote to get the best out of your receiver for your home experience.

The app doesn't work well when trying to do stuff like calibration. But you can get the auto calibration to work with the buttons on the unit itself. Also, there was a windows app that allowed you to change settings on a networked attached receiver. The app is much more user friendly than using a remote anyway. But I'm not sure if it works for all Yamaha AVR.

if not already stated, the yamaha musiccast and av app can do most everything...except calibration

I should also note as a fyi, i recently upgraded my phone and ipad to ios 12. And downloaded the new AVR firmware...and now by musiccast is very buggy. I would warn those not to upgrade as it work flawlessly before.

This is also my first AVR, and first yamaha. Im very pleased with the sound....falls on the incise side of the sound spectrum in a good way. At least for my sspeakers.

Last edited:
I recently picked up a Yamaha rx-v375 for $20, no remote. This unit has no networking, so no app turned out to be really limiting. Fortunately the remotes were going for much less than the remotes for my RX-z7

The app doesn't work well when trying to do stuff like calibration. But you can get the auto calibration to work with the buttons on the unit itself. Also, there was a windows app that allowed you to change settings on a networked attached receiver. The app is much more user friendly than using a remote anyway. But I'm not sure if it works for all Yamaha AVR.

There is no Windows app. The Yamaha Android/iOS app IME does everything better than the remote except for the YPAO calibration. I use it with a RX-V479 and an Amazon Fire tablet. AFAIK all Yamaha RX-V series that have Wi-Fi work with the app.

There is no Windows app. The Yamaha Android/iOS app IME does everything better than the remote except for the YPAO calibration. I use it with a RX-V479 and an Amazon Fire tablet. AFAIK all Yamaha RX-V series that have Wi-Fi work with the app.

The RX-Z7 definitely has a windows app (Other TOTL models probably have it too), it's called receiver manager. I think it might only be for installers, but I was able to find it on a french forum I believe.

There is no Windows app.

You can access the networked receivers via "Web Control" on your home network. Just enter the IP address and go. Not nearly as spiffy as the android or iOS apps but functional. Adding /setup/ to the address (http://192.168.1.17/setup/ in my case) gets you access to all the menu settings and some I can't figure out how to access from the remote (7 band parametric EQ for each channel). And much easier to navigate on the PC screen...extremely powerful and virtually unknown.

Not sure if this works on all of them but worth trying...

Here's a link to a screen shot and more info...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...3060-aventage-avr-thread-19.html#post46106145

My older RX-V1800 has no ethernet jack, nor can I find any mention of wifi capability in the manual.

Hey guys new here. I bought a Yamaha RX-V757 with a replacement remote (RAV315) but this remote is only good for power on/off input and volume controls. I can't get into the manual set-up with the remote or even with the front panel controls. Does anyone know how i can get into the manual set-up with the RAV315 remote or any other remote that can do the job?

Hey guys new here. I bought a Yamaha RX-V757 with a replacement remote (RAV315) but this remote is only good for power on/off input and volume controls. I can't get into the manual set-up with the remote or even with the front panel controls. Does anyone know how i can get into the manual set-up with the RAV315 remote or any other remote that can do the job?

This probably should be a separate thread asking this question. However, just to make sure, the monitor outs of the receiver are connected to a TV, and the TV is set to the correct input, yes?

This probably should be a separate thread asking this question. However, just to make sure, the monitor outs of the receiver are connected to a TV, and the TV is set to the correct input, yes?

Yes that is correct. I'm able to bring up the menu screen on the TV screen using the remote but can't navigate around using neither the remote or the front panel controls. I'm guessing I'm going to need the original remote for this, but i can't believe i couldn't access the system settings using the front panel controls on the receiver.

Some of the most used buttons on my RX-Z9 just wore out from use, or are possibly dirty requiring spray. I was lucky to find one on the bay that was missing the battery door in new condition, so got it for under $100. The RX-Z9 remote is a one of a kind so one buys a new remote before screwing up the old one further with spray. :idea:

Some of the most used buttons on my RX-Z9 just wore out from use, or are possibly dirty requiring spray. I was lucky to find one on the bay that was missing the battery door in new condition, so got it for under $100. The RX-Z9 remote is a one of a kind so one buys a new remote before screwing up the old one further with spray. :idea:

That's pricey, a new rx-z7 remote only cost me $40 shipped.

One nice thing about the Harmony 650 is that it can control multiple devices, and can be programmed for many other devices that may come your way. I currently have two AVRs that I got for cheap sans remotes, and the Harmony gets me by on both of them. So, I look at the Harmony as sort of a general accessory investment not one specific to one component.

Back
Top Bottom