Is OLED worth the extra money??

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by slow_jazz, Feb 27, 2017.

1. PianotunerNJ

PianotunerNJ Active Member

Last year we got a Sony X930D, 65". It was a bit pricey but at the time still 2/3 the price of similar Oled. We started with the lower end Sony and the light bleed (I'm guessing that's being referred to as dirty screen?) was unmanageable. The upgrade to the 930D was great for 2D but it moved us to active 3D which absolutely sucks compared to the passive 3D on the lower end TV. Since I'm the only person in my house who likes 3D, I took the hit. Having said that, the general overall performance of the TV is astounding. Netflix and Amazon streaming in 4K HDR is basically the pinnacle of television viewing. And, even though standard broadcasts are only in HD, this thing upscales and smooths out all motion so well that the picture looks 4K unless you're dealing with a really low grade SD signal, pretty much everything looks great. This is one significant advantage to not buying a bottom end panel. Sure, it's 4K, but without all the high end processing you really don't get the maximum benefit. Of course, every year the hardware improves so I imaging the processing on lower end units will be improving steadily.

My understanding is that oled, like plasma, creates its own light, so no backlight. With the super thin panels and task of processing backlight so that its brightness coincides with the image, you sometimes get light bleed. My Sony X930D has nearly 0 light bleed but we paid extra for that. I'm guessing that those issues will be corrected over the next year or two but buying a 2015 or 2016 model may expose you to that problem.

I am very happy with the new 4K experience, but only because we could afford to do it right. As good as it is, there is still a risk of getting let down by a low end 4K tv so shop carefully. If you can go oled, you probably can't go wrong. Also they have passive 3D (when they have 3D) and passive 3D on a 4K tv is the ultimate 3D experience. Full resolution for each eye and no flicker or battery issues. For 3D I still prefer my old 49" LG with passive (despite the resolution hit) over the active on my $3000 Sony. Shame, but overall, the Sony is amazing and 99% of the time 3D is no issue in my house. The LG is in my cave now so I just excuse myself for 3D viewing.

2. mhedges

mhedges AK Subscriber Subscriber

Good info. But honestly I didn't realize they were even still making 3D TVs.

3. PianotunerNJ

Ouch. Considering how much fun I find it, I struggle to understand how it never took off. I think the coolest audio visual experiences are surround sound and 3D. I can think of no movie or music experience that isn't improved by 3D and surround sound. My opinion I know, but still, the resistance to that stuff I find puzzling. Especially coming from a collection of audiophiles, aka audio gear heads. I would think the high octane experience would be the goal, but it seems there's a purist attitude about the stuff I just don't get.

Funny, as a pro piano tuner, I compete against many guys who tune entirely by ear. I switched to a specialized tuning device (software) that is capable of much better and more consistent results than any strictly aural tuner I know many years ago. Yet, despite the obvious advantages for both me and my customers, there are still some purist holdouts that insist on an old school approach.

i can understand the appeal of nostalgia based listening like to vinyl, or stereo CD, and I enjoy that stuff quite a bit, but I don't get the rejection of progress like high-res and surround formats. I guess the marketplace is speaking, but that sucks for me cause I'm way into my surround and my 3D.

4. mhedges

Sorry didn't mean to throw shade at you.

I'm not sure you can lump 3DTV with surround sound and hi-Rez. To me Surround at least has been very sucessful, and isn't going anywhere. Hi-Rez seems to have developed a somewhat stable niche. 3D TV just never caught on. It just seemed like all the buzz on it was negative - it was fatiguing to watch, glasses were clunky, very limited software, etc. There was just nobody out there pushing it as being amazing or failing that just plain OK.

5. PianotunerNJ

I didn't mean to make a false equivalence, I'm just saying I sometimes perceive a similar reluctance to surround music as I get about 3D. I'm not taking any of this personally, no problem there. I guess I'm just a little bummed out that my preferences don't take off. I hate to see 3D disappear altogether, and surround music has had ups and downs too. True enough that high resolution music is garnering more popularity lately now that computer memory has come down in price and compression is no longer needed, but surround still has some ground to make up. If it helps, I'll be buying surround music and 3D movies as long as I can!

Just got a chance to hear the new release of Sgt. Peppers in surround. Not bad but not mind blowing. Problem is, much like Pet Sounds, the masters are mix down tracks, best case to 4 track recordings, so there's not a lot of room to separate sounds for rear channels. Still, the higher resolution and advanced processing are a general improvement, just not really a new listening experience like many later albums with better recording tech seem to offer. Nonetheless, a fun listening experience.

6. mhedges

Well you just brought up my problem with surround music - you can't get any recent releases. It's all remasters of... errr... "vintage" rock which I have no interest in. Or classical/Jazz which I have no interest in. That's why I gave up on SACD.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  7. PianotunerNJ

I get it, I do. If there was more of it out there that suited my tastes I'd buy more and I have about 50 surround albums now I think.

8. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wait and most of all avoid Samsung. Across their entire spectrum of durable good they suck with Q/C. With exploding washers to broken fridges, exploding phones and TV's sets. It's like their in hyperdrive to get stuff out the factory.

I love my plasma and will wait for OLED to mature.

9. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

Thats what we said about plasma TV's many years ago and for off axis viewing they still provide the best picture.

10. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

As Twiiii said, Plasma never really matured. it was too expensive and could not be built beyond a certain size since the glass had to be flawless.

11. robert_kc

robert_kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

I love my Panasonic plasma. It has a beautiful picture.

Without doing much research I bought a 2-year-old used Samsung plasma for my basement, assuming that because it is a plasma 1080 HDTV it would have quality comparable to my Panasonic. Unfortunately the Samsung that I bought is far inferior to my Panasonic. Maybe the Samsung plasma that I bought is a cheap model, and perhaps it's not a fair comparison. The Samsung's screen is extremely shiny, rendering it unwatchable except in a dark room. Lesson learned. I'll use the Samsung as a stop-gap. I'm guessing that in a few years $1k UHD TVs will be significantly improved.

12. mhedges

Panasonic's were always the tops for plasma TV's. The others were also-rans.

13. nyhifihead

nyhifihead Well-Known Member

I saw my friends panasonic 60" 1080p plasma TX series for the first time in a while, it was beautiful, such a clean image

The picture was so refreshing coming from a korean 4k TV, plasmas truly will be missed.

what won't be missed is the annual power supply replacement if you run the TV 24/7! Plasmas cook PSUs

14. HiFiJeff

HiFiJeff Active Member

Yep. Owned a few different versions of Panasonic plasma's over the years and a VT30 65inch is in my main living room right now and in my bedroom is a VT50 55 inch. LOVE THEM! Best picture I have ever owned. I will watch those two TV's until they die. I did the LCD tour a few different times and hated them! Will see how OLED plays out and might take that route once prices drop over the next few years. But not too worried about it right now.

15. eiraved

eiraved AK Subscriber Subscriber

This thread has been open for several months, and I'm sure the OP has purchased his TV by now...

16. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Actually the best were Pioneer because Panasonic BOUGHT their glass from other manufacturers - there were only 3 that made glass for plasmas: Hitachi, Pioneer, and Samsung - that is it.

17. slow_jazz

slow_jazz Lunatic Member

Wound up buying the LG - Oled 65".

Had it calibrated and wall mounted. It looks great.

davidb1 and eiraved like this.
  18. eiraved

eiraved AK Subscriber Subscriber

How long ago was that?

19. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

Can we see it? Love pics :)
    Oh & congrats!

20. PianotunerNJ

Update! I just got a software update for Sony X930D 65" and the 3D is now somewhat improved ( noticeably better, not 100% perfect ) and they say 2D is supposed to be better but that was already great.

Congrats on the Oled, beautiful TV.