Is piano better than guitar?

You're getting a lot of snarky responses to this.

This post is an editorial aside, Celt. Please regard it as such and not as an attack on this particular post.

The term "snarky", if I am to understand it accurately, implies observations, commentary, etc., that is of a sharply critical and even snide nature. I.E. derogatory.

I do not agree that the comments directed back to the OP have been of a derogatory, critical nature. In fact the majority, including my own and yours above, have been (IMO) rather thoughtfully expressed.

Matter closed to further discussion on my part, now it's back to the OP's question/concern re: concentrating on piano or geetar.

This post is an editorial aside, Celt. Please regard it as such and not as an attack on this particular post.

The term "snarky", if I am to understand it accurately, implies observations, commentary, etc., that is of a sharply critical and even snide nature. I.E. derogatory.

I do not agree that the comments directed back to the OP have been of a derogatory, critical nature. In fact the majority, including my own and yours above, have been (IMO) rather thoughtfully expressed.

Matter closed to further discussion on my part, now it's back to the OP's question/concern re: concentrating on piano or geetar.

I was reacting to a few of the posts in the beginning. The OP seemed to be in earnest and there were a couple of replies that, how can we put it, seemed a little playful. Someone even commented they wanted to get in "before the lock". However, no harm was done. The responses were all in fun, which is one of the things I love about AK.

In truth however, I did miss your posts for some reason, which if I had taken the time to read them, I wouldn't have written what I wrote. I apparently skimmed the thread. Again, there was nothing wrong with the playful responses. It was just that with the OP, I noticed that he only had a few hundred messages and joined AK a relatively short time ago, and as AK members with a little more time here, I thought we might be missing an opportunity.

I was reacting to a few of the posts in the beginning. The OP seemed to be in earnest and there were a couple of replies that, how can we put it, seemed a little playful. Someone even commented they wanted to get in "before the lock". However, no harm was done. The responses were all in fun, which is one of the things I love about AK.

In truth however, I did miss your posts for some reason, which if I had taken the time to read them, I wouldn't have written what I wrote. I apparently skimmed the thread. Again, there was nothing wrong with the playful responses. It was just that with the OP, I noticed that he only had a few hundred messages and joined AK a relatively short time ago, and as AK members with a little more time here, I thought we might be missing an opportunity.

It's all cool w/ us, jg.

Most of us here are of "a certain age" where we grew up with guitar heroes. Don't overlook how important MIDI and sequencing are in today's music. The "coolness factor" of guitar vs keys is much closer these days if you factor in the ability to build tracks with sampling.

Starting with Chopins 4th ballad is indeed far more ambitious than was my inspiration (Exodus) many years ago. I listened to it again, for the first time in a while, and can see how a broken heart could relate to it. Beautiful, but bittersweet.

Although I only took lessons for a few years in my youth, and haven't read any sheet music in decades, I still like to sit down and "piddle". Over the years (beginning shortly before I divorced) I've composed several pieces as a means of an emotional outlet. Some intense, some melancholy, but most for ladies I have known. ;)

Emotions can be expressed with any instrument. It's a matter of what works, and feels right, for you.

Have fun with it.

I've learned guitar, cello, bass & some keyboard. They all take a certain amount of dexterity and they all have their specific progressions/finger positions that require study and practice. We can all be our harshest critic when it comes to improvement, progress and competency.

None of them were easy for me and I am no pro but the sense of accomplishment & joy I take from playing an instrument is why I do it. I threw out the concerns over being perfect and being a pro a long time ago.

In answer to your question, NO. Piano is not better than guitar. Guitar is not better than piano. Those are an apple to orange comparison. Just find one you enjoy and stick with it.

Answer to the original question:

Yes and no. Sometimes kazoo is better than both put together.
Made my day! LOL the tin 'kazoo's' were so frigging cheap I'd buy whatever .. and start a marching band as a kid. I graduated to 'Boy Scout' bugle.. Uncle had a piano I screwed with when we visited. He loved harmonica and bought me two new. Umm My mom played violin but not in later years. Had many friends who played something like trumpet trombone, drums, etc.

I'm 66' y/o and a 1/4in short index finger but I can still enjoy playing. Also have made pvc irish flutes, too!

Too much fun 'Valvenator' .. lol.. the 'comb' was notorious for 'severe lip vibration' syndrome if you blew the comb wrong way? The resulting irritation could last for a couple minutes! like sucking on a lemon or lime fk'er pucker face contortions! Thus the kazoo was more forgiving. I also played the flutophone and it drew more condemning looks from adults on the irritation scale.

I’ve played stringed instruments almost all my life, and can really only plunk around on a piano. The range and potential of a piano are amazing, but with my primitive skill level it feels and sounds like I’m pushing buttons.

Either is great in the hands of a great player.

marqueemoon.. You lost your love or a crap piano? 'pushing buttons'.. Do you want to improve skill which is practice.. but memory is the other half. IMO ... (I won't bore you than you already are? :D)
-----------
Tempo... and IMO... most players who lost it? the lack of practice? Also forget tempo 'practice'. thus also forget changes and timing all off. You can pretend to play,.,, in your mind. drums, bass what ever part of a composition. Your memory will come back.

Both.:) Neither is "better". You can get a decent used guitar for a couple C-notes (like a used Ovation) and play around with it.

I assume you already have a piano. Finding room for one, even an upright, can be difficult. A guitar can hang on the wall and not take up any floor space.
Take some lessons on either (probably piano) and learn to read music and some music theory.

I played the organ for quite a few years, lessons for around five years, and was just OK. The neighbors had a parlor grand (a Steinway, even) so I got to bang around on it. It takes a little more strength to play the piano than an electric organ.

I picked up the guitar, took some lessons and have stopped and started several times. Currently in the "not playing much" phase.

The hardest part of playing the guitar, other than conditioning your fingers and hands, is figuring out where to play a note or passage. On a piano middle C is only one key. On a guitar you can play a note in several positions on the fret board.

Well, you can play guitar on a piano, but you can't play piano on a guitar ...

re: statement by @jgannon earlier in this thread, i.e., "You're getting a lot of snarky responses to this." I think what we have here is a good example of "snarky", jg.

Maybe not snarky...perhaps trying to point out the open endness of the orig question, but doing it with parallel comparisons without explanation.

The topic is highly subjective, as already pointed out by some, as it comes down to the tactile ability of the person in dealing with two vastly different instruments.

If I can also compare this to sports. I think some do better in team contests whereas some are better at individual events. The sport itself often determines how well the different athletes perform, with the few the are able to cross over to a different area of physical endeavour. The same can be said in the music field.

Q

Back
Top Bottom