Is sleeping next to my amplifier bad for my health?

The bad thing about cell phones is that they emit em radiation of around 1 GHz frequency (because the atmosphere is more transparent at that value and then there is a cost saving in telecommunications infrastructure). But that frequency is unfortunately too close to the water molecule resonant frequency of about 2.45 GHz, meaning that the water molecules couple to the EM field and move, producing an increase in kinetic energy that may be understood as an increase in temperature. That is the microwave oven working principle. The trouble is that a human being body is made out of a 75 % water content! The bandwidth of an amplifier never exceeds 100 kHz, when in operation. Too far from exciting any water molecules in your body. You may sleep gracefully, but remember to keep your cell phones and computers a bit farther away.

PS: regarding the big transformers, probably in the power source, they work at 60 Hz, so nothing to worry about except for the noise.
Hide the cell phone whilst your cordless phone and WIFI connected components blast along at 2.4 GHz? Just like your microwave working at 2.45 GHz.

Last edited:
Hide the cell phone whilst your cordless phone and WIFI connected components blast along at 2.4 GHz? Just like your microwave working at 2.45 GHz.

Yes, the difference between a cell phone and a microwave oven is the power of the EM radiation emitted: say 1mW for the former and 1 kW for the latter, that is a factor of 1 million. One of the issues that people discuss is about the energy released on a living tissue. A typical MW oven is used for a few minutes, lets say 100 seconds. So, a cell phone close to a person needs 1 million times 100 seconds to deposit the same amount of energy. That is about 1160 days (if my calculation was right). The discussion deals with the effects of depositing the energy slowly or fast on a living tissue. People still argue about that.
Regarding the comment on the WIFI router or modem, it is better to keep them far and also to disconnect them when not in use.

Last edited:
Regarding the comment on the WIFI router or modem, it is better to keep them far and also to disconnect them when not in use.
If you're concerned about exposure to the minuscule energy levels emitted by a WiFi router or modem, then to be consistent you must categorically avoid even the slightest exposure to a certain radiant EM energy source that will deliver an order of magnitude greater dose of energy in a moment's exposure than a lifetime of sitting next to a busy WiFi router...

It's the sun.

With sufficient exposure, the sun will give you skin cancer, severe burns, dehydration, and/or blindness.

A WiFi router doesn't have enough energy to damagingly penetrate even the outer layer of your skin. It emits less energy than a small light bulb.

If you're concerned about exposure to the minuscule energy levels emitted by a WiFi router or modem, then to be consistent you must categorically avoid even the slightest exposure to a certain radiant EM energy source that will deliver an order of magnitude greater dose of energy in a moment's exposure than a lifetime of sitting next to a busy WiFi router...

It's the sun.

With sufficient exposure, the sun will give you skin cancer, severe burns, dehydration, and/or blindness.

A WiFi router doesn't have enough energy to damagingly penetrate even the outer layer of your skin. It emits less energy than a small light bulb.

I'm a physicst, so I know this. On the other hand, the solar spectrum of EM radiation does not peak about the water molecule resonance frequency. Devices that operate in the 1 GHz band may be dangerous on long-time exposures. All the discussion is about long-time effects (as I explained before, the amount of energy deposited after a long time exposure to a weak power emitter). Nobody knows for sure the effects, if any, but why taking the risk? It is not a bad idea to just avoid being close to cell phones and WIFI routers, and turn them off if not in use. People can then do whatever they want, but I just mentioned some objective facts. I don't intend to discuss on this as my point of view is: think whatever you want about whatever you wish (of course, "you" here is generic, meaning anybody!)

Last edited:
I'm a physicst, so I know this. On the other hand, the solar spectrum of EM radiation does not peak about the water molecule resonance frequency. Devices that operate in the 1 GHz band may be dangerous on long-time exposures. Nobody knows for sure the effects, but why taking a risk? Just avoid being close to cell phones and WIFI routers, and turn them off if not in use. People can then do whatever they want, but I just mentioned some objective facts. I don't intend to discuss on this as my point of view is: think whatever you want about whatever you wish.
The risks of injury or electric shock from digging around behind the router to unplug it almost certainly outweigh the risks from EM energy emitted by a WiFi router. See http://www.who.int/en/news-room/fac...gnetic-fields-and-public-health-mobile-phones, which states "A large number of studies have been performed over the last two decades to assess whether mobile phones pose a potential health risk. To date, no adverse health effects have been established as being caused by mobile phone use."

WiFi operates in roughly the same frequency range as the upper end of cell phone (800mhz to 2.6ghz for cellular; 2.4ghz and 5 ghz for WiFi) but at approximately 100mw, even less than the nominal 150mw and up -- to as much as 3 watts -- that can be emitted by a cell phone, and WiFi routers are rarely operated against your head.

Thus nothing to fear, here.

Maybe if it was an RF amplifier, and it was powered up while you were asleep? But not an audio amplifier.

Lee.

Well, someone told me it would not be healthy having a bunch of amplifiers in my bedroom... I had serious doubts about that myself.
So, someone has got an eye on your set of amps in the bedroom and wants you to get rid of some for a ridiculous price.

Every game is good to get what you what these days.

Pollution from cars is a bigger threat then the minor dangers of cell phones etc. along with the scum dumped in our water like toxic fluoride waste products.
Now is standing in front of a microwave going to give you cancer?:banana::dunno:

I don't know if sleeping next to an amplifier is bad for my health.

What I do know is that being awake without an amplifier nearby is bad for my health. :)

Last edited:
Don't reach over and hug the tubes when they are glowing ...

Don't be fathering Cylons in your sleep!

Nothing to worry about. EM fields are harmless up to the point where they're strong enough to burn you, and then they'll burn you. Nothing subtle about it, and cell phones, cell phone towers, WiFi routers, and stereo amplifiers do not produce a strong enough EM field to do the slightest harm to anything.
That is complete bull and one of the dumbest statements I've heard in a while. Body cell voltage is directly connected to your condition of health. Do some research on 'earthing' and you will see. Also high frequency emf disturbs the cells at an atomic level. Do you realize the new 5g towers work in the same frequency range as microwave crowd control weapons and also at 60Ghz which is the frequency of oxygen atoms? It can literally separate O2 into separate O atoms in your blood and kill you if directed. There is also a direct correlation to brain tumors and what side of the head people use their phones on. Not only that, but static magnetic fields from permanent magnets like the ones found in speakers can have huge effect on health and growth. Go look on youtube for some of the plant and magnet experiments and you will see it's no joke. North pole magnetic fields are especially harmful compared to south, and guess what, your earphones and speakers almost always have the north pole facing at you. Just because something operates outside of the frequency range of your senses does not mean it has no effect. The rise in cancer and birth defects has increased to insane levels since wireless technology and cell phones became common. I can measure about 5v to ground potential of 60hz emf in my body right now just because of the wiring in my wall. If I go outside, it goes away. A healthy body should have a slight negative charge. Positive levels from emf cause illness and then cancer after a certain level. I have also had friends with stray voltage suits against the power company because of the massive damage caused to the cows on their farm and won the suit. Psychological effects and depression can also be traced to wireless tech, and if you are paying attention, you would see that has also increased by levels that are hard to comprehend. Just because you are not getting "burned" does not mean you are not being slow poisoned.

Last edited:
I think you're holding back. Come on, tell me what you really think.
lol nice
Just imagine imagine when 5g is weaponized. AI bots have already been released on the web and are talking about ruling over humans and redistributing resources, etc.

Last edited:
lol nice
Just imagine imagine when 5g is weaponized. AI bots have already been released on the web and are talking about ruling over humans and redistributing resources, etc. Can you say; prison planet? It only a matter of time.
I imagine the world is very scary if your understanding of telecommunications and computing roughly translates to, "it's magic".

Don't worry, humans are still in charge and will be for a long, long, long time. Whilst the media, conspiracy theorists, and people who don't know any better like to breathlessly blame "Artificial Intelligence" for nightmare sci-fi scenarios -- which obviously helps sell magazines and website clickthroughs -- it's otherwise well-understood by those working in the field to mostly be little more than simplistic, mechanistic, and easily-fooled pattern recognition. It's about as dangerous as a pocket calculator.

Likewise, 5G will give you faster 'net access on your phone and allow more devices to be connected to the cellular/mobile network. But weaponised?

...No more or less than our current 4G, and 3G before it.

Back
Top Bottom