Is the home theater craze over or what?

Cooking bacon is a must on a Sunday morning with some eggs on the BBQ. Seeing that bacon bouncing around in its own fat...... mmmmm yum.

I have two home theater setups and they only get use if I want to watch live sports or live concerts and the odd movie on the big screen. Apart from that, it doesn't get used as it once did. To listen to music, a 2 channel setup any day.

20170225_184440-1.jpg

Last edited:
Cooking bacon is a must on a Sunday morning with some eggs on the BBQ. Seeing that bacon bouncing around in its own fat...... mmmmm yum.

I have two home theater setups and they only get use if I want to watch live sports or live concerts and the odd movie on the big screen. Apart from that, it doesn't get used as it once did. To listen to music, a 2 channel setup any day.

View attachment 914905

The bacon fat needs to flow away from the primary meat that wants to release its heavy burden of fat and questionable substances.

IMO, it's tough to find a better way of cooking bacon than this.

IMG_3039.JPG

Ever try olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, jam, honey? Maybe add a dried meat, sucuk or pastırma?

So? Talking down about people is pretty shitty. "How DARE the lowly peasants like something that I consider a gimmick." Wow, just wow.

Hendrix would have done wild things mixing a 5.1 recording......

I am not much for the surround thing but I respect those that are.

Reading in the thread that someone called 5.1 gimmicky?

I think that way of thinking is misguided and wholly inaccurate.

Last edited:
Move on, move on ...
Its all about Home Theater crazy fun, right!

besides, Anthony Bourdain warned us of the dangers of frying bacon naked in his last book, right?

Last edited:
I will admit when Dolby pro logic came out my eyes were as big as saucers. I had to have it. I ran the best reciever I could afford at the time a Jvc. The wars were on again from the manufacturers again. Fast forward to Dolby digital and I bought a really nice Denon reciever in 2002. Then it was Dolby true hd and now atmos. I simply couldn't afford to keep up. 3 years ago I decided to put a decent 2 channels system together. I went a little crazy and put 3 more 2 channel systems together also. I do listen to the 2 channel systems more but am surprised how well the surround system sounds in 2 channel mode. I will run it time to time with movies and sometimes music. They don't have the soundstage or realistic tones as my K9s but they have a great midrange with 2 6.5 inch mid ranges. They have to be run with a subwoofer though. image.jpeg

Good projecters cost major bucks. There are 4K ones out now and the Sony version runs around 20K.
The absolute best projectors cost major bucks.. But you can get a fantastic 1080p LED projector which has no bulb issues for about $800. The LG stuff you can get now is awesome, really small too. I'm surprised this tech hasn't majorly taken off TBH.

Had a friend over last night and on a whim, I put on The Beatles-Love DVD-A on the HT system.
This is the 5.1 mashup that the late George Martin and his son did for the Cirque du Soleil Las Vegas show ...
Its been a while since I played it, and I'd forgotten what a lot of fun it is!
Highly recommended surround recording ... and just doesn't work the same when reduced to stereo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_(Beatles_album)
[The wiki article discusses the various tracks and elements mashed in to the 24 tracks of the album]
That really is a good one. I don't have many 5.1 mixes but that's my favorite. Great music great mix.

We've gone on about bacon. But let's face it a TV with a soundbar is like drinking corona. It's not bad. Not bad at all it can be very satisfying.. But a 5.1 or more setup with a projector.. That's like a good Belgian beer. Those Trappist's knew what they were doing, maybe they weren't allowed to speak but they made some pretty damn good beer. Why settle when the best is really only a few dollars more?

I will admit when Dolby pro logic came out my eyes were as big as saucers. I had to have it. I ran the best reciever I could afford at the time a Jvc. The wars were on again from the manufacturers again. Fast forward to Dolby digital and I bought a really nice Denon reciever in 2002. Then it was Dolby true hd and now atmos. I simply couldn't afford to keep up. 3 years ago I decided to put a decent 2 channels system together. I went a little crazy and put 3 more 2 channel systems together also. I do listen to the 2 channel systems more but am surprised how well the surround system sounds in 2 channel mode. I will run it time to time with movies and sometimes music. They don't have the soundstage or realistic tones as my K9s but they have a great midrange with 2 6.5 inch mid ranges. They have to be run with a subwoofer though. View attachment 922912

Nice!
What's not to like about that!?

We've gone on about bacon. But let's face it a TV with a soundbar is like drinking corona. It's not bad. Not bad at all it can be very satisfying.. But a 5.1 or more setup with a projector.. That's like a good Belgian beer. Those Trappist's knew what they were doing, maybe they weren't allowed to speak but they made some pretty damn good beer. Why settle when the best is really only a few dollars more?

I think you just hit the nail on the head right there.

Yeah, I am spoiled with Stout - and when that gets boring, there is Imperial Stout ...
or the crazy blended stuff like Bitches Brew! (with mead)

:beerchug:

View attachment 914905
If I had a dedicated room, I would use it at least once a week....more during "playoff" time for basketball and football. As it is now, I have a 100 inch 16:9 screen that is on one of those tripod mounts that you see in businesses more often than in homes. It stays in the closet most of the time. I pull the projector out of our storage ottoman and put it on a little tripod table. It takes about 10 minutes to get everything up and running (including the time to get the picture placement done properly). That being said, it is so much more engulfing than watching movies/sports on my 65 inch TV. Every time I get it out, I wish I could leave it out, but it would not look very good in our living room (especially the huge Epson projector I own).

I use my receiver for music. It has preouts that feed 2 emotive monoblocks. I am happy with its 2 channel sound quality.

Back
Top Bottom