Is the home theater craze over or what?

Books and music.

The cartoon movies and the female superhero movies don't trigger my deliberate suspension of disbelief. Too much SJW propaganda in everything.

Even the Star Wars franchise irritates.

Too much politics and culture war in movies so I'll take my money and mindshare elsewhere.

So it's more subject matter and repetitive theme, not quality, you now find not worthy of your time.

Fair enough.

I cannot speak to SJW as I don't watch movies.

As to Star Wars, the original, back in 76, that was the chief catalyst that repelled me, pretty much for good, from watching movies.

Didn't take me 40 years to become irritated. lol

As to your original statement, the quality of movies declining, I think that would be a very tough case to make, although, I have little subjective exposure to base an opinion on.

My 15inch Rythmik sub is not boomy at all it provides subtle but powerful bass.

I can't figure the difference.

I have one inexpensive sub ($500) in one system and two better subs($1,600 each) in another and the cheap one is preferable to my ears.

I would not know it was "boomy" except for the price difference coupled with it's prominence in comparison.

I can't figure the difference.

I have one inexpensive sub ($500) in one system and two better subs($1,600 each) in another and the cheap one is preferable to my ears.

I would not know it was "boomy" except for the price difference coupled with it's prominence in comparison.
Huge difference from my Cambridge Soundworks sub feels like my house is moving

I love that new sub and I think I'll stick with one

To answer the OPs question, yes HT is dead. They outsmarted themselves. Constantly changing the format from 5.1 to 11.1 in slow painful increments with all different kinds of preferred inputs and outputs. It was nearly impossible to keep up with the "Format of the year club", not to mention the financial burden. Happily back to 2 channel with a sub. Wont even refer to it as 2.1

I agree that the constant changes became annoying. HDMI being the big one that (IMO) pissed serious hobbyists off because it came (seemingly) less than a YEAR after receivers and processors moved to component and then DVI. It went composite/S-Video/DVI/HDMI from 1999 to 2003 (even though some of those standards like S-VHS (S-Video) had been around for a long time) imagine spending 2500 beans on a preamp and then just one year later not only are there more channels, but ALL your connectors are obsolete. Because now DVI has become HDMI and most annoyingly...it's not really an upgrade. So you have a $3000 paperweight.

Of course, that's if you're a slave to marketing.

I happily upgraded from my own $2800 boat anchor processor (the B&K Reference 30) to a $300 (ebay price) B&K Reference 50 Series 2 because of the HDMI debacle. I was giddy that people were literally throwing these wonderful sounding processors away (practically) that featured 7.1 balanced outputs, the best (again IMO) stereo performance of an A/V processor and for the tweakers, a comprehensive (but admittedly pro-level in complexity) setup that to this day sounds fantastic. Ditto my 1995 vintage Definitive Technology speakers that still rock the house (BP2002 powered towers, CLR 2000 center channel, and BPX rears). About the only thing I look forward to finally replacing is the Panasonic projector which will represent a real quantitative upgrade being only 720p but even that allows me to get lost in the story. A well set up home theater does the same thing as a well set up stereo system, it gets out of the way. It doesn't matter if there are 2, 5, 7 or 75 speakers.

In fact, if you look closely, this is the golden age of thrift HT just like the 90's/early 2000s were the golden age of thrift 2-channel. You can "sound bar" all you like, but nothing (yet) beats a pair of powerful subs and big speakers that are properly calibrated to bring you an immersive experience. Those that are saying a stereo pair is enough are either "script central" so they want a great story and watch movies like "The Notebook" which would be just as effective and wonderful on a stage OR obstinate. The obstinate ones will insist that two speakers or a sound bar is enough, rotary phones were the peak of communication tech and there's no need for any other beer than Miller Lite.

And those of you insisting that there are no more good movies... you need to get out more and try something else besides Miller Lite.

1. Spotlight
2, Son of Saul
3. Moonlight
4. The Revenant

Watch those 4 movies and tell me "there are no more good movies. That's just a ridiculous thing to say. There are 200 more where that came from from in just the last 10 years. EDIT: Phantom Meanace and the other two are NOT on the list of 200) :)

Is HT dead? I don't think so, and hope not. Always changing, and unless you have bottomless pockets, a huge room and a contractor on speed dial, you will never keep up. I tried many years ago, drove the wife crazy. Her system is an old Harman AVR320 and 2 PSB Imagine 7PT's, and despite my current movie setup in my room, we usually fall back to hers. I seem to always have to pause the movie and tweek something in my room, that's the fun of it for me, drives her nuts. But admittingly, sometimes it's nice to pop a movie in a two channel rig and enjoy. So, we maintain both. My system...8.1 Yamaha RX-V2600 (no center channel) and love it.

A friend of mine uses a soundbar for his video entertainment, and it sounds fine. I use a Bose table radio for watching DVD's and streamed video entertainment, and it actually sounds rather good to me. Koss Pro4AA headphones are what I use when I want to watch something while riding the noisy exercise bicycle (older Schwinn Airdyne), and they also sound very good. Most of what I watch are movies from the late '20's through the 1950's (mysteries plus a few "creature features") and television programs (mostly detective shows and situation comedies) from the 50's to the mid-'70's. Most of the newer stuff I find off-putting or simply uninteresting.

Ouch - grumpy old man thread. Cloverfield was fun and the sequel with John Goodman was also fun and I'm a huge Double Indemnity Chinatown fan. I love a great HT setup that 2 channel simply can't come close to.

My 15inch Rythmik sub is not boomy at all it provides subtle but powerful bass. a different tool for a very different job.

This old man likes movies, just don't feel the need for surround to enjoy them and their sound. Not particularly grumpy about it, I don't think. As far as good movies go, they still make some - as always - not every old movie is a classic and neither is every new one. Nothing new in that. At least, that is my take. I think everyone should be happy with whichever direction they choose as far as movie sound in the home, and I do get the allure. Just because I'm over it, as far as HT goes doesn't mean I think everyone else should be, too.

About once a year I attend a local Parade of Homes ... custom built homes by local builders ... it's a show you pay to attend. That's the time I get to see the very cool home theater builds (mostly in basements).
The professionals who construct these are really good at what they do ... admire their work ... I've never seen better in my life time.

Thing is ...most of the emphasis seems to be on the visual vice how they sound. The audio set-ups were not that impressive (on a relative basis) as I recall.

Last edited:
Of course, that's if you're a slave to marketing.

Last time I was at a pawn shop there were plenty of sources on the shelf that have outputs commensurate with AV receiver/processor inputs of the same era.

Heck, most receivers/processors and TVs still incorporate composite video connections for those still wishing to use their VCRs.

Ouch - grumpy old man thread. I love a great HT setup that 2 channel simply can't come close to.

Why grumpy old man if someone doesn't like the sound, and media messing with one senses. I also don't like head phones as I don't know whats going on around me. Head phones have been around before I was born so it's not an aversion to new technology. And the fact is there is nothing new about "Surround Sound" other than the name.

Now you want some grumpy old man thought, Movies suck today, they cant even come up with their own artistry. Recycled the same thing over and over, using way way too much CGI that it's totally stupid and unbelievable. Hate to tell you Cars don't fly, and people don't run on walls, just because a computer can flip and manipulate doesn't make it art.

It's grumpy old man because I mentioned Cloverfield and I'm told how terrible it is and the list of better movies suggested were "what do I say?" Old

Double Indemnity is awesome and I have the special edition DVD which is fantastic but Cloverfield is simply fun and a joy ride something completely different.

The furthest I ever got into HT was 5.1 and that was years ago. I don't watch much TV and it seems my place was strategically designed to NOT be able to have any place to put a TV in the living room so I don't have one set up at the moment.
I also don't know anyone else with an HT setup but quite a few with sound bars. I'm sure it's not dead but it's also not as popular these days.

Not all new movies suck but I do agree that the big corporations have certainly ruined the industry with their cost cutting and emphasis in profit

Not all new movies suck but I do agree that the big corporations have certainly ruined the industry with their cost cutting and emphasis in profit
LOL
Corporations have ruined it? LOL they are not the ones buying it so they have something compatible with their over tech home speaker systems.

It's grumpy old man because I mentioned Cloverfield and I'm told how terrible it is and the list of better movies suggested were "what do I say?" Old

Double Indemnity is awesome and I have the special edition DVD which is fantastic but Cloverfield is simply fun and a joy ride something completely different.

Lots of people did not like Cloverfield ... check the Amazon reviews. I liked it ... though it was something different and innovative ... and didn't star Mat Damon or Mark Wahlberg :banana:

mark-wahlberg-matt-damon.jpg

Double Indemnity was awesome ... Barbara Stanwyck was one hell of an actress.

Back
Top Bottom