Is the SX 424 and Bose 401 speakers a good match?

Dan Ween

Hey mangs, have two different questions here. I was wondering if a pair of Bose 401’s would be a good match for the SX 424 ,and I also use a pair of Sony SS-U520’s as well which give off decent enough lows for me. Is it too much for that receiver? I had a fisher studio standard and a power surge killed a channel, so before I buy I thought I’d ask. Question 2. It’s a doosey, I have a Denon turntable and it has a digital coaxial output, so I’m wondering how big of a difference in sound it would be to buy a newer receiver and run the Denon through digital. Mainly, would it cut down on the loud volume hum I can never seem to shake? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 3CC38FA6-7BB5-4D56-A807-C4DA40B99EA8.jpeg
    3CC38FA6-7BB5-4D56-A807-C4DA40B99EA8.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 9
Hey mangs, have two different questions here. I was wondering if a pair of Bose 401’s would be a good match for the SX 424 ,and I also use a pair of Sony SS-U520’s as well which give off decent enough lows for me. Is it too much for that receiver? I had a fisher studio standard and a power surge killed a channel, so before I buy I thought I’d ask. Question 2. It’s a doosey, I have a Denon turntable and it has a digital coaxial output, so I’m wondering how big of a difference in sound it would be to buy a newer receiver and run the Denon through digital. Mainly, would it cut down on the loud volume hum I can never seem to shake? Thanks in advance.
1: I personally cannot stand Bose 401's, and you probably want a pair of speakers with a high sensitivity as the 424 really doesn't have much wattage.
2: A new receiver is going to have a much different sound than an unrestored 40+ year old receiver.....
Check your grounding and narrow down where the hum is coming from.

AFAIC Bose spkrs are notoriously inefficient. I agree with Ivandezande that it's not a good match. The SX-424 is rated for 12W per @ 8ohms. Not a lot of grunt. Don't get me wrong, I like the SX424 it's a very good little unit, but it's not a room filler, more of a small bedroom unit.
As for the Denon, again I agree with Ivan about grounding. Go thru it from the cartridge all the way to the far end of the RCA's and whatever grounding wire it has.

Hey mangs, have two different questions here. I was wondering if a pair of Bose 401’s would be a good match for the SX 424

I don't know about either of those two speakers, but I would stick to a speaker sensitifity of at least 90dB.

I say that because I have an SX-424 and pair it with Klipsch R-14M speakers (sensitivity 90dB), and it sounds perfect.

I also have the larger Klipsch R-15M (sensitivity 94dB), paired to a Sansui 210, which is another small-watt receiver
like the Pioneer SX-424, and they also sound fantastic.

I hv the 424 and a 301 mark I.

I will never even try to pair them in use. 12 wpc from the 424 is not gonna make a 301 sing. But with tv and radio programmes, yea maybe.

Terence

Back
Top Bottom