Is The YAMAHA MX1000 The Best AMP From YAMAHA?

How do you guys think an Onkyo M-510 would fare against the Yamaha MX-10000? I think they were built around same time-not sure.

oh yeah, and RUSH ROCKS!!!

(HUGE fan here. I'm a musician myself, always hoping to form a rush-like band with me on either bass or guitar... but now that I'm 40 with kids and a wife (who's not a rush fan) things are tougher ;-)

You, sir, have GREAT taste in music AND amplifiers! :D

I can fry eggs on my M-65 when it's running in class A. That's a bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea. I owned an HCA amp once (MX-630) but had to let it go to raise money for other upgrades. I wish that I still had it. I don't get the impression that HCA gets a lot of respect but Yamaha seems to be solidly behind the technology.

I had one once too (yamaha HCA amplifier). I agree about it. What's always funny to me is that when one manufacturer actually develops something new and improved which really does perform better than anything else, other manufacturers are quick to dismiss it.

Why? because they don't have it and can't make money by licensing it from the true inventor of the technology who did all of the R&D in the first place (in this case Yamaha).

I actually thought that HCA sounded at least as good as a pure class A amp I had once. Maybe slightly better. This was decades ago though and is only just a vague memory now...

cheers!

I had one once too (yamaha HCA amplifier). I agree about it. What's always funny to me is that when one manufacturer actually develops something new and improved which really does perform better than anything else, other manufacturers are quick to dismiss it.

Why? because they don't have it and can't make money by licensing it from the true inventor of the technology who did all of the R&D in the first place (in this case Yamaha).

I actually thought that HCA sounded at least as good as a pure class A amp I had once. Maybe slightly better. This was decades ago though and is only just a vague memory now...

cheers!

I'll put my Yamaha MX-2000 130WPC HCA amp up against any other similarly powered amp in terms of sonics and driver control. Incredible piece, I can only imagine what the MX-10000 sounds like. Maybe someday there will be one in the stable.

Was the Yamaha MX-830 the model just below the MX-1000 ? How does it rank with Yamaha's best?

Was the Yamaha MX-830 the model just below the MX-1000 ? How does it rank with Yamaha's best?

In some of my old literature, Yamaha (USA) offered the following power amps simultaneously:

MX-2000 (audiophile quality/design, 61.7lbs.)
MX-1000U (very powerful 260wpc, excellent power supply, cool meters, 45.2lbs.)
MX-830 (170wpc, 29.8lbs.)
MX-630 (135wpc, 28.7lbs.)
MX-460 (80wpc, 21.4lbs.)
MX-35 (40wpc @ 2 channel mode, 11lbs.)

Generally speaking, in the old days (Class A & A/B, pre-Class D & H operation), weight was a general indicator of the power supply quality, so higher weights might generally infer a quality of chassis and power supply design that might be generally used to gauge the power amps ease of quality sound production. The MX-830 was the top of the mid-level amps in the mid/late 1990s, but not really comparable to the many high-level amps from the past and present (B-series, M-series, etc.).

A more fair comparison (sound wise) might be to other mid-level Yamaha amps of different eras. The MX-830 was the replacement for the MX-800U (170wpc, 32lbs.), and these have similar specs except that the 800 has front panel meters like the 1000 unit, and the 830 unit has no meters.

Last edited:
CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY INFO ON THE YAMAHA DSPE 1000 AMP.I HAVE A CHANCE TO PICK ONE UP WITH A SET OF POLK AUDIO FLOOR MONITORS WITH AN AMPLFIED TWEETER ON TOP.IVE NEVER SEEN THAT SET UP ON A SPEAKER.I BELIEVE THE POLKS ARE R12s.THANKS IN ADVANCE.

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY INFO ON THE YAMAHA DSPE 1000 AMP.I HAVE A CHANCE TO PICK ONE UP WITH A SET OF POLK AUDIO FLOOR MONITORS WITH AN AMPLFIED TWEETER ON TOP.IVE NEVER SEEN THAT SET UP ON A SPEAKER.I BELIEVE THE POLKS ARE R12s.THANKS IN ADVANCE.

mrhoneymine:
SORRY I CAN'T HELP YOU.

START A NEW THREAD

And please, please stop yelling. :nono: (Turn your caps lock off...)

It's common courtesy in any internet forum to read the TOS (look to the top of the forum) to learn the rules, where you're also frequently encouraged to write a brief introduction to ease into the community instead of yelling in an unrelated thread (threadcrapping). You'll find plenty of help and expertise if you approach with the right attitude, this is not a hit and run type of crew here.

Cheers!

Yamaha MX-1000 vs Yamaha CA-2010

Hi Folks,

Curious as to wether any one has heard these two units and able to compare the actual sound qaulity emitted.
Obviously they're both beasts but i would be interested to know what the "educated Yammy aficondo" would prefer as ownership choice and why.

Thanking you all in advance

Take the MX-1000. The CA-2010 is not bad but sounds light in comparison. I've owned a couple of CA-2010's and I've heard the MX-1000 on several occasions.

I am personally hooked on the MX-1000's, thats why I own three. Also have M-80,P-2200 and a P2002. The 1000's run much hotter than the others. IMPO and friends who like my obsesion to interchange components/speakers on a dime for entrertainment agree the MX-1000u's I own beat out the others in many different comparison tests. Now I like all my amps and will double up on them all when chance prevails, but I'll take my 1000u any day. Hopefully one day I will own or at least hear, hell even see an MX-2000 or MX-10000

I am personally hooked on the MX-1000's, thats why I own three. Also have M-80,P-2200 and a P2002. The 1000's run much hotter than the others. IMPO and friends who like my obsesion to interchange components/speakers on a dime for entrertainment agree the MX-1000u's I own beat out the others in many different comparison tests. Now I like all my amps and will double up on them all when chance prevails, but I'll take my 1000u any day. Hopefully one day I will own or at least hear, hell even see an MX-2000 or MX-10000

The MX-1000 runs hotter than a M-80? I've had the P-2200 and PC2002M in the house and they run like corpses in the morgue, they are so cold.

Now I like all my amps and will double up on them all when chance prevails, but I'll take my 1000u any day. Hopefully one day I will own or at least hear, hell even see an MX-2000 or MX-10000

Well, if you've got $7000 in pocket change, you can own an MX-10000. :scratch2: There's one on that auction site right now.

I have been watching that one. Second listing for it that I have seen

And yes, my MX-1000u's run much hotter Then my M-80. My PC2002 and P-2200 run nice and cool too.

I vote best bar none is the 101M
a.jpg

I second that! Absolutely the BEST! :yes: Of course, I am totally unbiased and cool-headed in this scientific determination, with the fact that I have one coming very soon to live with me here at Casa Arkay (:)banana:) ) having nothing to do with my opinion -absolutely nothing. :no:
:D

Actually, I do think it is the best, except for the MX-10,000, which might be better-sounding, based on what Mark B has said about that amp. The MX-10000 doesn't have the same power and lags in a few other technical respects, but excels in others and apparently sounds extremely good; even better than the 101M, according to Mark B. Since it is a later design, that may well be true, and considering how similar his and my listening/gear tastes are, I'm inclined to think I'd agree with him. Maybe one day I'll have the opportunity to hear the 10K and find out first-hand.

Still, the 101M is a done deal, and there isn't any MX-10000 in sight (yet), so for now the 101M gets my vote. :D The MX-10000 and the GF-D1 that Yamaholic posted pics of would be the only other Yamaha amps I'd still be interested in getting, after the 101M, and that mostly out of curiosity, not because I think it would be a significant upgrade. If I didn't have any of them, any one of these would be very welcome! :yes:

This afternoon I was at the Hong Kong High-End AV show (the biggest audiophile expo in Asia now, I'm told), and I heard a talk by an amp designer who designed an audiophile amp with 2,000/4000 watts :)yikes:) explaining why he felt such high power was necessary for the best audiophile sound, in terms of physics and acoustics. The reasons make a lot of sense, if your aim is to re-create realistic sound, and is why I have gone that route, with the 101M. He then explained how his amp had added circuits to eliminate transistor bias distortion. His amp was demo'd with the big German Physiks 360-degree speakers. Impressive sound, but the soundstage was not as realistic as what I get at home, even before the 101M has arrived. I don't know about how the 101M handles transistor bias distortion, but with the way it is built and the stats it has (miniscule distortion), I'll bet it isn't much of an issue. I've heard the 101M, and I sure couldn't identify any audible distortion, but that was through relatively efficient speakers, that barely made the beast twitch a whisker.

There are probably a few dozen truly "reference class" amplifiers in the world, that can handle the demands of driving virtually any speaker, and deliver to it whatever the music demands, with an absolute minimum of distortion. The Yamaha 101M is one of them, and probably the MX-10000, as well. The MX-1000 is, no doubt, a very fine amp, as are many Yammie amps (I've always liked my M-2, too!), but I don't think it reaches quite the level of these two "statement"/TOTL beasts.

Last edited:
I second that! Absolutely the BEST! :yes: Of course, I am totally unbiased and cool-headed in this scientific determination, with the fact that I have one coming very soon to live with me here at Casa Arkay (:)banana:) ) having nothing to do with my opinion -absolutely nothing. :no:
:D

Actually, I do think it is the best, except for the MX-10,000, which might be better-sounding, based on what Mark B has said about that amp. The MX-10000 doesn't have the same power and lags in a few other technical respects, but excels in others and apparently sounds extremely good; even better than the 101M, according to Mark B. Since it is a later design, that may well be true, and considering how similar his and my listening/gear tastes are, I'm inclined to think I'd agree with him. Maybe one day I'll have the opportunity to hear the 10K and find out first-hand.

Still, the 101M is a done deal, and there isn't any MX-10000 in sight (yet), so for now the 101M gets my vote. :D The MX-10000 and the GF-D1 that Yamaholic posted pics of would be the only other Yamaha amps I'd still be interested in getting, after the 101M, and that mostly out of curiosity, not because I think it would be a significant upgrade. If I didn't have any of them, any one of these would be very welcome! :yes:

This afternoon I was at the Hong Kong High-End AV show (the biggest audiophile expo in Asia now, I'm told), and I heard a talk by an amp designer who designed an audiophile amp with 2,000/4000 watts :)yikes:) explaining why he felt such high power was necessary for the best audiophile sound, in terms of physics and acoustics. The reasons make a lot of sense, if your aim is to re-create realistic sound, and is why I have gone that route, with the 101M. He then explained how his amp had added circuits to eliminate transistor bias distortion. His amp was demo'd with the big German Physiks 360-degree speakers. Impressive sound, but the soundstage was not as realistic as what I get at home, even before the 101M has arrived. I don't know about how the 101M handles transistor bias distortion, but with the way it is built and the stats it has (miniscule distortion), I'll bet it isn't much of an issue. I've heard the 101M, and I sure couldn't identify any audible distortion, but that was through relatively efficient speakers, that barely made the beast twitch a whisker.

There are probably a few dozen truly "reference class" amplifiers in the world, that can handle the demands of driving virtually any speaker, and deliver to it whatever the music demands, with an absolute minimum of distortion. The Yamaha 101M is one of them, and probably the MX-10000, as well. The MX-1000 is, no doubt, a very fine amp, as are many Yammie amps (I've always liked my M-2, too!), but I don't think it reaches quite the level of these two "statement"/TOTL beasts.

Congrats Arkay. The 101M is way above the consumer grade MX-1000U. IIRC, Mark B did some investigating and figured out the 101M and the PC5002M share similar architecture, like the M-2 and PC2002M. Take a look at the PC5002M manual and check out the square wave reproduction traces. They are near perfect which translates into sharp, forward sound with tight base.

Back
Top Bottom