1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a BluRay that looks OK in a classic system?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by TomB19, Oct 22, 2018.

1. TomB19

TomB19 Member

I'm looking for a disk player that will look OK with my classic system. BluRay would be ideal but just DVD would be OK. If necessary, a CD only device would do.

I have a silver faced system from the 1970s and a black faced system from the 1980s. The black system consists of Natural Sound separates (C-80/T-80/M-80) and a couple of Sony ES pieces.

If I can't find something modern that is suitable, I will probably try to find a classic ES CD player.

While I care about sound quality, this will be a rarely used source (haven't mounted a disk in 10 years) so I'm a bit more concerned about looks than a true audiophile would be. I don't need it to match (including brand) but I don't want it to look ridiculous.

I'd love to read some suggestions. Surely a lot of people must have this same problem?

Thank you in advance!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

with my black system my Oppo BDP-95 looks good. Close enough, I think. (pre is a Luxman TP-117; amps don't match so it looks ugly anyway.) Now if only I could get the remote output of the Luxman to drive the Oppo I'd be GTG. May rotate Luxman CDP back in because I don't have any SACDs. I know, heresy!

Silver, I dunno - Oppo made some silver ones but good luck finding one esp. now that they're out of business. I've had a couple Samsung DVD players go through my hands that do SACD but if you need Blu-Ray I don't know. I actually had a really old Yamaha CD-X2 in the spare bedroom (black) because it was the same narrow width as the Marantz 1070 (silver) and that didn't really bother me as much as something too wide would have. Of course the whole mess is ruined by the Sony XDR-F1HD sitting on top. But the Yammy stopped tracking reliably and it's at the spa right now, I know it's silly to try to keep something that old going, but I got it at half off day at the thrift store and lovingly cleaned all the belt goo out of it and it just makes me happy to keep something that old going. I may never find a true 1st generation CDP so this may be as close as I'll ever get.

I guess also, to narrow down recommendations, what kind of price range are you looking at? BDP-95 still probably goes for $4-500 unless you find a deal whereas aforementioned Samsung I've bought several at thrifts for under $20.

TomB19 likes this.
  3. TomB19

TomB19 Member

Thank you, Nate.

An Oppo is a bit more than I'm prepared to allocate to this task, ATM. It would cost more than I paid for all members ofthe natural sound component stack and it would end up playing 3 disks between now and when I die.

4. TomB19

TomB19 Member

I understand the question is a bit nebulous. Mods, feel free to remove this thread.

It's not fair to throw out such a non-descript question but I thought there might be some threads illustrating what looks good with various pieces of classic equipment. Surely the vintage guys, of which I am one, all have disk sources.

Am I the only one too lazy to play vinyl all the time? :D

5. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Pioneer DV-09 ... they can be had for a song too.

TomB19 likes this.
  6. Duane

Duane AK Member Subscriber

No.

TomB19 likes this.

7. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Lazy?

While I still play vinyl, doing so requires far more time and effort than selecting content from my music server via pad, phone or Apple Watch. I can instantly select anything from the collection (or Tidal service) in seconds with a few keystrokes. And there's nothing to put back. :)

TomB19 likes this.
  8. ducati_EL34

ducati_EL34 Super Member

I don’t think lazy has to be the only reason not to spin Vinyl all the time. Some of the albums I have are just not available on vinyl.

9. TomB19

TomB19 Member

I should have thought to do this when a search turned up nothing obvious but...

I went to the Yamaha forum and browsed the "Calling All Yamahas." thread. The first system I saw with an 80s Natural Sound stack had a Natural Sound DVD player of the same Natural Sound width/color/general aesthetic. When I Googled the model, a copy popped up on a local facebook sale group at a garage sale price so I reached out and it looks like will be picking the item up tomorrow.

The model in question doesn't have the brothel inspired red LEDs but it is a close enough match for me. :D

Most modern disc players look cheesy to me. They look like they belong in the Transformers movie. Oppo looks good and there are a couple of others but most current models seem incongruous with a classic system.

One down... now for a silver model.

10. dcairns

dcairns New Member

How about a Samsung DVD-HD841 The silver face is plastic, not aluminum, but still has the look. Pretty clean look to it, other than all the compatibility logos.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 9:31 AM
    TomB19 likes this.
  11. Hyfi

Hyfi Addicted Member

Rotel??
    [​IMG]

RT Fan and TomB19 like this.

12. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Super Member

Are there any bluerays that have a lot of knobs on them?