1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a fix for pioneer push switches?

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by dlanor, Jun 20, 2010.

1. dlanor

dlanor New Member

I have an otherwise full functioning Pioneer sx-3600 receiver. The push switches do not stay in the "in" position. I have searched the forums w/o finding any info on how to repair or bypass the faulty spring detente. Help Please.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. merrylander

merrylander AK Member

Probably the same Alps brand switches Yamaha uses, only cure I have found to date is parts from an organ donor.

3. kcollins4

kcollins4 Rocking somewhere

I can't give you a specific answer, but there are 110 results for "Pioneer switch" on the auction site. There probably is a new replacement available also, if you do some research on the physical layout of the switch..

4. markthefixer

markthefixer On Hiatus, dealing with Dad's estate full time Subscriber

There is a common bar that links all 4 (am,fm,phono,aux) under/in the metal frame that is spring loaded.

Either the spring has come loose (unlikely) or the bar itself is binding (junk or petrified grease) and some faderlube shot through the whole channel may free it up.

Has this unit been in your possession long, or have you just acquired somebody else's handiwork?

The bar is vulnerable to binding anywhere over it's length, while it has less than 1/4 inch of needed motion. It is also vulnerable to cumulative friction over it's entire length, there may not be a lot of friction from dried grease at one point, but add that up the entire length, and it's enough.

edit:
    This push & hold one of multiple switches part of the mechanism is NOT the same fragile part of the mechanism that is a single push on push off switch. I JUST checked!! It IS most likely a junk/grease problem.

It is possible that one of the switches has stuck partially down as well, so deoxit /lubricate them ALL and check each for full range of motion and operating return springs.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  5. Pickoid

Pickoid Tired

Curse those blasted switches! I have a Yamaha A-960II amp with a bad "main direct" switch. I got a switch from a parts unit and swapped it in. It was good for about 6 cycles of the switch when it broke, too. :tears: Oh well...

6. shimniok

shimniok Super Member

Not sure if these are the same as the accursed push-button switches on the HK680i (and similar) but I did find what looked like new direct replacements awhile back... ?

Please register to disable this ad.

7. dlanor

dlanor New Member

Thanks for the reply but these are the single switches which activate A or B speaker, FM muting etc.

8. shimniok

shimniok Super Member

9. markthefixer

markthefixer On Hiatus, dealing with Dad's estate full time Subscriber

Have you pulled the faceplate to see if it was causing problems? ALL of them is pretty suspicious.

10. dlanor

dlanor New Member

Pulled face plate. No joy.

Apparently the stop inside these push activated switches breaks off inside the switch. Someone suggested just removing the switch return spring(a small coil spring on the pushbutton shaft). Has anyone done this without disassembling the front of the receiver completely? This switch is accessible with just the cover off.