Is there a list or catalog somewhere of Blue Note open reel releases?

phantomrebel

Serial Tapist
I've been searching for a few Blue Note titles on reel to reel, but I cannot determine whether they were ever released in the format. Is there a tape release list somewhere? If someone has a catalog or website, it would be most appreciated.

There likely were no pre-recorded Blue Note open reel tapes until the 1966 buyout of the label by Liberty Records. Only legit Blue Note open reel tape I've seen even a photo of was a Japanese complilation tape. Otherwise until the 1970's UA era, strictly LP discs.

Last edited:
I have a dozen or so tapes from Blue Note/Liberty. Some from the early-60's labelled only Blue Note as far as I can tell. But most also have Liberty markings. The Lee Morgan, Ornette Coleman, Jimmy Smith releases I have show Blue Note, Division of Liberty Records on the logo. The Japanese ones have big "Liberty Blue Note" labeling on blue background on the cover. Just looking to find a list of all titles that were released in this format, even if under Liberty (or UA) ownership as it makes little difference to me (I'm just after the music). I've especially been interested in finding certain Wayne Shorter and Horace Silver albums on open reel but am afraid they might not exist. I know there are digital master copies available and have many, but not what I am after.

A Liberty tape catalog might just do it, if someone has one please share!

EDIT: On a side note, who wouldn't give their right nut for a day to copy things from this Capital Records master tape vault?:
dave-mceowen_jack-arena-credit-danny-liao.jpg

Taken from this article: https://www.laweekly.com/music/mast...-lost-forever-without-archivists-help-7575450

Last edited:
Still searching for a catalog. Many of the Blue Note/Liberty releases I have were made by Magtec/Stereotape/Bell&Howell so does anyone have one of their Tape-Log catalogs? I just have the cards included in these tapes:

IMG_1052.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG
I should have mailed a card in...a year of catalog subscription was free!

Back
Top Bottom