Is there a song that makes you emotional?

Clair de Lune. It was my Mom's favorite song. After she passed away I had them play it as we were carrying her out of the church.

"Freebird" Back story, our Schnauzer had to be put to sleep, and it would happen about 4:00pm while I was at work. I kept staring at the clock knowing that around 4:00,
our pet would be gone forever. At 4:00pm "Freebird" came on over Sirius XM. "If I Leave Here Tomorrow, Would You Still Remember Me?" Gets me every time.

Eva Cassidy~Autumn Leaves from
Nightbird album.

My Immortal~Evanescence

Steven Wilson~Routine

Oops that's three, Sorry.

'She Talks To Angels' - The Black Crowes
Maybe doesn't make me emotional so much as it tends to fill me with a deep sense of regret for the wasting of both youth and opportunity, Damn I guess that does make me emotional. :(

Two come to mind because they make me think of my brother who past in 2006.
Sailing / Cristopher Cross
Reminds me of tacking the sailboat out of Marina Del Rey with him.
Wish You Were Here/ Pink Floyd
The day of his funeral I was barely holding it together and got in my car to go to the services. I turned the key and Wish You Were Here started on the radio.

OK. This is not going to sound right, but Mack the Knife always makes me think of my wife. I told you it wouldn't sound right. Its OK though. Really. She knows.

When we first started dating it seemed like everyone we knew was getting married. Guess what every wedding band had in their repertoire. I can't tell you how may times I've danced to that song, but even though I'm a lousy dancer I'm always ready for one more. With her.

Next month my long suffering wife and I will celebrate our 40th. We've never had a serious argument that I've been a party to. And though she has been known to make the occasional comment when yet another lp (or several) crosses our threshold, it has always been good natured ribbing. I think. May you all be as fortunate.

Cheers, Chris

The Wonder of You / Elvis or Ray Peterson
Let it be me / Everly Brothers
Let her cry - Hootie
That's how strong my love is / Otis Redding
Smoke gets in your eyes / Platters
Nutshell / Alice in Chains
Down in a hole / Alice in Chains
Black / Pearl Jam
An American Trilogy / Elvis
You gave me a mountain / Elvis
Home - Staind
Zero Chance / Soundgarden

There are sooooo many.
On the melancholy side, if not down right morbid side.
I would pick these (and others).
If could find good instrumentals of them I would like them played at my funeral.
However, I think it would send the people in the room to wailing, which would not be my intention.

Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah
Pearl Jam - Black
Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence

My last post on this was to sad, so it is time change the beat, as I have heard say.
On a much lighter note (no pun intended).
Fun stuff to hear and watch.

2CELLOS - Thunderstruck (Video on Youtube)
2CELLOS - Highway To Hell (Video on Youtube)
Jimi Hendrix - The Star Spangled

Beatles:Hey Jude. It was the last song my father ever heard before the car accident that he was killed in. Dad and his buddy were coming home from a party coming up to a corner on the highway when Hey Jude came on the radio. Dad said I like this song Reg, turn it up. As Reg's hand was on the dial the car hit black ice and Dad said hang on Reg. The car rolled over and Dad died instantly Reg lost 3 fingers on his left hand because when he hung on he put them on the ribs of the top (60 Impala ragtop). I didn't find out any of this until almost 10 years after the fact. The accident was Jan 31/1968. I still can't hear that song without misting up a little.

Back
Top Bottom