Is there a song that makes you emotional?

Anger is an emotion, right? How about revulsion?
I'll work up two lists, chronological and alphabetical. Although I'm tempted just to start with the guy who "...Hoid it tru duh grapevine". Another sailor in close quarters played that damn thing 24 hours a day.

In the spirit of the thread, though, I've always been a sucker for Danny Boy, and Waltzing Matilda...including Waits' version. Especially Waits' version.
And "I Shall Be Released", with Richard Manuel in mind.

Last edited:
Dennis Yost and The Classic IV doing Spooky:)

You had to go and mention that ... named our first dog Spooky as we were driving home with him and the song Spooky came on the radio. He was a black cocker spaniel/poodle mix, and as a puppy had the devil in his eyes, so it seemed like an appropriate name. Turned out to be a wonderful dog, but had to put him down at 12 years old. Took several years before I could even listen to the song again.

I can only listen to Billie Holiday for short stints.
Her life, reflected in her music just bums me out.
I love her, but listening to her lyrics bums me out too much.

"Lite As a Feather" by Caron Wheeler, former frontwoman of the UK-based R&B band Soul II Soul. Tears don't necessarily flow, but my tear ducts definitely moisten.

Colin Hay ~Goodnight Romeo~ my dad passed when I discovered this beautiful acoustic ballad.

Glen Lewis ~Don't you forget it~ was in Afghanistan and my daughter was just born (association).

Stevie Wonder ~I Believe~ wife and I's song prior to the movie High Fidelity.

This song with the video makes me tear up a little bit. The Girl and the Sea by The Presets.

Back
Top Bottom