Is there a song that makes you emotional?

And I Love You So - Perry Como
(Originally, by Don Mclean)

Also, out of the blue, I got emotional when I listened to

The Moody Blues - Talking Out Of Turn.

It was the first song after a long hiatus from listening to vinyl. It's also the song that I decided to go back and setup a pure analog system.

Classics IV - Traces

Shortly after my future wife and I started dating, I moved halfway across the state for a job. I didn't know anyone in town outside of work, and she was unable to visit with any regularity. As she was leaving my apartment after one particular weekend visit, this song came on the radio. I suppose I associate the bittersweet nature of the lyrics with our all-too-brief encounters and the longing to see her again. While it's never produced any tears, that song still gets to me in its own way.

Gordon Lightfoot - Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Real life set to music. That's why this one still gives me the chills. "All that remains are the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters." Enough said.

Amazing grace. At my brother's funeral they were NOT supposed to play it by my mother's request. They played it anyway....I lost it. Still do. That was over 25 years ago.

Taps. I had a recording of a single trumpet played with an echo. Simply haunting.

Star Spangled Banner. Jimmie Hendrix at Wood Stock. I think nailed it.

Having returned home last year when my Dad passed away, this one has become rather emotional for me:
The House That Built Me - Miranda Lambert

Tears of joy, every ****ing time, the expression "hauntingly beautiful" has been coined for stuff like that...

There are a few but my oldest son did his mother and son dance at his wedding to Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd so I always get a little choked up when I hear it.

Ohio,,, Neil Young
Free Four,,, PF
Lost For Words,,, PF
Gotta be a lot of others, depending on the situation, or what triggers a thought...

Heaps of songs but a lot of emotion in certain songs could be something from your childhood or a person who has passed and that particular song seems to bring back a certain memory.

Last edited:
the theme song from "Love Story"
I saw the movie as a young child and cried relentlessly when the women died.

Got a list. It could be longer. The following tunes...just get to me. Music is a personal thing.

"Teddy Bear" (1976) Red Sovine. The song in talk-form, tells about a little crippled boy, whose dad is deceased and he's on the trucker radio wave, wishing how he could some day get a chance to ride in a big rig. The truckers hear his plea, and respond in a big big way.

"Peace In the Valley" (1945/1956) Elvis. Was originally written for the late great Hahalia Jackson, but Elvis brought it back to life in later times. The imagery says it all.

"Old Shep" (1935/1956) Elvis. This was a song sang by Elvis at a county fair, standing on a chair to reach the mike at five years old, and winning 5th prize of $5, and a free ride. The words of this lament bring back memories of past friends who loved me each and every day, and whose lives were far too short!

Q

Last edited:
I know another has already cited one number by Harry Chapin, but I'm citing a second:

"Better Place To Be"

The song:

The Dance by Garth Brooks.....at the NASCAR tribute to Dale Earnhardt.

Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning by Alan Jackson.

Jane by Jefferson Starship. I had a crush on a girl named Jane from another high school around that time and I was too damn shy to do anything about it.

Three songs:
Sunday Will Never be the Same. First heard the day I graduated from High School, awesome song.
I'm a Girl Watcher. In basic at Ft. Jackson, July and August, miserable, hot, guy sneaked off to the PX and bought a portable radio, heard this damn song every ten minutes.
American woman, First heard the day I got out of the Army, real appropriate too considering, nothing like a real American Woman.
(yeah I'm that old)

Might as well play that one:

American Woman disc.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom