Is there a value in this auction gear?

Jumping the bid intimidates some of the shallow pockets that are willing to hang around and nibble bid, while also letting the deep pockets know that winning this lot is going to hurt them.

Of course, it means nothing to the well heeled flipper, who only is concerned about bringing the lot in under budget. This type of auction will have all three types of bidders, plus a couple Mac fa

Depends on what else is for sale at the auction--if there are a ton of guns or antique furniture/household items, the main bidding population is going to be antique dealers and gun collectors who don't give a rat's ass about some old dusty audio gear--so you might be the only one there for that Mc gear. I have been to auctions like that--everyone was killing themselves to get the china, silver, and queen anne tables, and I walked away with some nice gear for next to nothing, since I was the only one interested. You may very well be one of only a few there for the Mc gear.

... if the Auctioneer or estate company took those pics they are either incomptent and or place no value on the gear because they would have cleaned them up and took better pics...

Either that or they're crazy like a fox. ;) Some of the lousiest presentations with amateurish descriptions to match have garnered garnered some of the highest money imaginable- both with old cars and vintage audio.

Not to hijack this guy's thread, but I don't understand this at all. What if the other guy only has $1500 liquid? What do you gain by throwing out a high bid? What do you lose other than a few minutes by letting the bids proceed?

Bid jumping can sometimes knock everyone else out that is thinking about getting in. It works best if you have an idea that there are multiple bidders going after the same thing you are. If there are, then the bidding may not stop when the one guy with $1500 drops out. Someone else w/ $2700 may keep going. This is all speculative of course but the idea is that the $2700 guy considers that you started at $2000. The next bid increment is $2500 so he has one bid and nowhere to go beyond it so he doesn't bid at all.

All the bidding shenanigans in the world won't amount to a hill of beans as to what the high man is willing to pay.

McIntosh buyers are everywhere nowadays - whether they be flippers, collectors or even plain old audiophiles (heaven forbid!). :D Being tube McIntosh, the suitors increase exponentially.

Given the OP's personal connection with the equipment, I wish him all the luck in the world but frankly I don't see $2K as realistic by a longshot...but what do I know? :confused: I wish him luck all the same.

Last edited:
The thing about auctions and Mac gear is that McIntosh is a fairly well-known name for a lot of folks, especially the kind of people who go to estate auctions. If this sale has been advertised and the stereo was mentioned by name, there's a good chance there will be serious competition there with deep pockets. I know if I were at this auction and this started at $2k for the set, and you said "3k" right after, I might just go to $4k. Honestly, I might not even mean to jump that high, it might just be a reflex. But I don't think this will go that low regardless--I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit $5-6k. It might not, of course--that's the fun of these auctions.

Live auction bidders often over bid ( bidding war ) just to be the one to win. It's an ego thing. Happens all the time. EBay has a lot of evidence of this. You can see results by looking at some of the auctions that have ended, McIntosh isn't the only one that is effected.

those are not the words I want to hear...shoot. I will just play it by ear then. I need to also take into consideration how this would limit my selection of speakers. After following this forum for a long time, I had pretty much come to the conclusion I would be getting an SX 1250 and run some KLH's. WIth this gear, I would likely have to step up to something nicer like Khorns or Legacy, and that squeezes my budget. Maybe I need to calm down a bit. How much better could the sound from this system be than from the sx 1250? (Easy please if that was a dumb question)

Many would consider that Mac system to be holy grail stuff meaning your could happily sell the rest. If you can stretch and the price is right, go for it. Cosmetics are everything for Macphiles. If nice, do it. SX-1250 is very well made but dull sounding with most speakers except with the flawed HPM-100's. IME and IMO. The two do not compare in any way.

Back
Top Bottom