Is there an easy and effective way to clean interior glass in your car?

This task used to be doable. Now it seems impossible. When using Windex, Glass Plus, and even Invisible Glass (Stoner), the glass never gets completely clean. I end up repeating the cleaning process 3 or 4 times and am still not satisfied with the results.

Sometime a few years back, I read that plastics used in car interiors continually off-gas chemicals that create a film on the inside of the glass. And that this film is the reason that interior car glass is so hard to clean.

Either the plastics used in car interiors have gotten cheaper, and off-gas more, or the cleaning products have become less effective. Or both. I have noticed that standard Windex seems less capable around the house than it was in the past.

What product, or DIY cleaning solution, works for interior car glass?

Last edited:
This task used to be doable. Now it seems impossible. When using Windex, Glass Plus, and even Invisible Glass (Stoner), the glass never gets completely clean. I end up repeating the cleaning process 3 or 4 times and am still not completely satisfied with the results.

Sometime, a few years back, I read that plastics used in car interiors continually off-gas chemicals that create a film on the inside of the glass. And that this film is the reason that interior car glass is so hard to clean.

Either the plastics used in car interiors have gotten cheaper, and off-gas more, or the cleaning products have become less effective. Or both. I have noticed that standard Windex seems less capable around the house than it was in the past.

What product, or DIY cleaning solution, works for interior car glass?
You are absolutely on the mark, more plastic equals more outgassing equals a thicker film on the windshield, even more so the farther south you live.

Try this:
Three cups distilled water
One cup white vinegar
One cup isopropyl alcohol
2 drops of Dawn dishwashing detergent

Use brand new microfiber towels for the cleaning/drying process

Tip: when washing your mf towels, wash seperately, with NO fabric softener (that`s what makes them streak)

I, too, have noticed this. Gee.....one more reason to love the petroleum/plastics industry. Took away our glass jars for salad dressing, mayonnaise, and pretty much everything only 35 years ago, and gave us something that pretty much never breaks down, and causes cancer.

All because little Timmy might drop a glass container and cut his widdle finger.

Anyway, rant over. I use old newspaper and Stoner's invisible glass, but yeah, it's a chore. No easy route.

I vape so my car windows get a film on them rather quickly. I use a 3 step process, all using microfiber towels. 1- wash with soapy (dawn) water. 2-clean water to get the soap off. 3- dry with another towel.

It's a little more time consuming, but well worth the effort.

Clean microfiber and Stoner's works for me. Never found Windex to be useful on glass. Its fine on a lot of things, but I've never gotten glass to not be streaky when using it. Glass Plus works a lot better.

If you're using any sort of vinyl or leather treatment, consider that as a source of problems too. My Mark VII was owned by an Armor-All aficionado and the interior glass was cloudy in that thing for a while after I got it. I don't use it, more a fan of the 303 Aerospace applied maybe twice a year. It doesn't seem to make a mess.

Interestingly, I have very good luck with Armor-All Glass Cleaner and newspapers...it even recommends using newspapers on the label...now if someone can tell me how to get into all the little corners and to get at the inside of the back window, that would be lovely :rolleyes: This geezer doesn't bend as well as he apparently used to...

Auto Glym Glass Polish works exceedingly well. The first time I used it on one of my old cars, it looked like the glass wasn't there. But it is a polish, and goes on exactly like polish you use on the paintwork. You apply it, it sort of dries, and you have to rub it off with a clean towel or duster. And woe betide you if you get it on the window rubbers, then you'll need to remove that. It's more of an occasional thing rather than something you do every week. I'll have to try some of the ideas above for more day to day use.

Lee.

Last edited:
Lots of good suggestions :thumbsup:

I think I have microfiber towels, will have to check. But have not used them for this (or any) specific purpose as of yet. Will definitely make that change.

hm, might have to try that reach tool. The lower corners up against the dash are always a PITA.

Another Armor-All glass cleaner here.

Takes some getting used to as their almost dry to start with but they do a good job.

hm, might have to try that reach tool. The lower corners up against the dash are always a PITA.

I use a micro fiber towel stuck on the end of a plastic hand squeegee sponge combo. Spray aerosol invisible glass on the towel not the window. Wrap the towel over the sponge not the squeegee is the way I do it.

Back
Top Bottom