Is there any type of speaker wire connector to plug into the back of amps that just accept bare wire

hugz

I've got 2 amps with this sort of speaker output on the back:

marantz-model-1072-198503.jpg

I try to make nice attractive speaker wires, but have no idea to cleanly terminate the wire to plug into the amp. Usually I just strip the speaker wire and twist the copper- effective, but ugly

Many options - search for "speaker wire pins".
Beware of the ones with metal bodies - they're easily shorted out, often with dire consequences. I usually put clear heatshrink over those.

Make sure you support the wires if you use pins. I tried it once, but left the wires to just hang down to the floor. It ended up killing the springs inside the speaker terminals and it wouldn't make good contact anymore.

Well, if you want a little project...
Grab some old-school microphone cable that has braided, tinned copper shielding. Disassemble about a foot of it to get the braid (or order a whole spool online if you want.) Strip your speaker wire about 3/4", and tin. Expand the braid and slip over tinned speaker wire. Solder them together. Heat shrink connection with color-coded tube of "x" length. (We'll come back to that in a second.)

Now, get some 3M VHB tape, the red stuff, at an auto parts store. Make a bracket to stick on to the back of the receiver/amp that spans the width of the push-on connections, and provides support for you to tie wrap the speaker cables so they hang straight down, about 3/4" or so away from the connectors in the horizontal and vertical direction. Now, tie-wrap the speaker cables to the stuck-on bracket, and determine what length will allow you to form a gentle 90 degree bend in the braid from vertical to horizontal. Pull the braid tight, (so it gets skinny), tin just a small bit where the cut will be, and trim braid to length. Your heat shrink length should be just long enough to cover all but about 1/4" of the added braid. The goal is to have the tinning hold the end of the braid together so it doesn't fray (like about 1/8"), and small enough in diameter to get all the way into the connector, but keep that bit short enough that the pinch connector can grab un-tinned braid for a good hold and electrical connection. (Clamping on a tinned wire would give just a few points of contact, instead of max contact.)

Repeat for all 4 (or 8) wire connections, and keep the heat shrink lengths and loops of braid the same length to, umm... enhance tonal clarity and darkness, and expand the visceral soundstage. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Way too much work for me, but it'll look nice enough. I'm sure you can buy oxygen-free, cage-free organically grain-fed versions on the interwebs, too.
If it's not an uber-collectible, I'd retrofit 5-way binding posts in a non-destructive, reversible way. Bag and label the old connectors and store them safely inside the unit with tie-wraps, for the next guy.

Another approach would be to put the speaker wiring on the side you don't look at very often. :)

Chip

I like tinning the leads after a twist. I strip them long, tin and trim back to about 3/8ths or so. Just as good as the posts if not better, certainly no added expense.

I tin too, but usually just the tip to keep individual strands in check.

I strongly dislike these spring connectors. I try to tin the wires going into these as well, but am often too lazy and just complain instead.

I understand 'ease of use' I guess, but it's so odd that this is the standard on many manufacturers' gear. For such a critical connection, these things are sub-par most of the time.

Mike

I've got bins of crimp-on pin connectors in 22 ga. through 12 ga. They aren't gold-plated but they do the job.

Back
Top Bottom