Is there any way to adjust output meter sensitivity on a yamaha ca-610 amp?

nightcat23

I recently grabbed one of these out of storage from a friend. Everything still works (lights included). Really enjoying the sound from it too, and it definitely sounds way better than my CR-420 receiver. Not sure why this is but that's not really the purpose of my post. These amps have output meters, but I don't think these are the same as vu meters but anyhow, I know the 610 II model has a switch to adjust the meter range, but sadly not on the 610 model that I have. I use my amp with very efficient klipsch speakers, so the output meters barely move until it is ear splitting loud. This makes sense of course because the more efficient the speakers the less power they need. Anyways, I know it would kinda remove any sort of accuracy in the meters, but is there a way to adjust the sensitivity? I figure it must be a trim pot or something, but I don't know for sure. Is this something that is possible?

Thanks

This will probably get answered but the Yamaha forum has a trolling tech looking to help out and an answer would probably be found sooner there than here. If no one shows up, you can report the post (lower left of the post) and ask a mod to move it. I'd expect @avionic to be along shortly even though this is not in the Yamaha forum. I looked and didn't see any adjustment but he knows the gear.

I recently grabbed one of these out of storage from a friend. Everything still works (lights included). Really enjoying the sound from it too, and it definitely sounds way better than my CR-420 receiver. Not sure why this is but that's not really the purpose of my post. These amps have output meters, but I don't think these are the same as vu meters but anyhow, I know the 610 II model has a switch to adjust the meter range, but sadly not on the 610 model that I have. I use my amp with very efficient klipsch speakers, so the output meters barely move until it is ear splitting loud. This makes sense of course because the more efficient the speakers the less power they need. Anyways, I know it would kinda remove any sort of accuracy in the meters, but is there a way to adjust the sensitivity? I figure it must be a trim pot or something, but I don't know for sure. Is this something that is possible?

Thanks

These are peak output meters, not VU meters. You may have a calibration for your output power metering. VU meters indicate average volume levels. They must meet specific ballistic and calibration criteria to be called VU meters, and not found on consumer grade equipment nor on most prosumer equipment. They are not cheap to build. They're found on high end professional recording and broadcast equipment for audio level indications in the analog world.

These are peak output meters, not VU meters. You may have a calibration for your output power metering. VU meters indicate average volume levels. They must meet specific ballistic and calibration criteria to be called VU meters, and not found on consumer grade equipment nor on most prosumer equipment. They are not cheap to build. They're found on high end professional recording and broadcast equipment for audio level indications in the analog world.

thanks for specifying what the difference is, as I really wasn't actually sure. I'm not expecting to create some super accurate industry grade level meter here, but just a visualization.

Switch to less sensitive loudspeakers ;)

As the OP posits, outboard meters (ideally, with adjustable sensitivity) is probably the easiest solution.
Velleman makes a cute kit -- cannot vouch for it, though, other than having seen it advertised.

https://www.parts-express.com/velleman-k4305-stereo-2-x-10-led-vu-meter-kit--320-220

320-220_HR_0.jpg

320-220_ALT_0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom