Is there something 'they' really like?

All you needed was a bunch of tubes for the other effect.
I only see SS in your photo but that's neither here nor there — Nice house by the way; can I visit and stay for a few years? As you know, the 'Stats like power, and I was using their own Trans Nova 200, a more perfect match I cannot imagine. Several years later I got a pair of Altec 1570B's, 160W of DHT — but alas I no longer had the speakers. But they were great with Martin Logans....

TI remember, in 1964, I was 10 and "Downtown" by Petunia Clark came on and my uncle looked over at me and asked" you like that one?"
Still luv hearing Pet Clark today. I haven't heard "Downtown", "I Know a Place", "Don't Sleep in the Subway", etc. for a while. Need to dial them up on my iPeng app!

This hobby, for many, is a solitary experience.
True, but it still fills my daily emotional need for music.

I remember, in 1964, I was 10 and "Downtown" by Petunia Clark came on and my uncle looked over at me and asked" you like that one?" . I most certainly did.
Glenn Gould, the genius classical pianist, loved "Downtown". He did an enthusiastic musical analysis of how and why it worked its way to #1. Mr Gould's analyis might be on Youtube...

I have spent most of my life pursuing interests that appeal to me and no one else in my circle.The gear is just another solitary experience but the music is appreciated by many.

Glenn Gould, the genius classical pianist, loved "Downtown". He did an enthusiastic musical analysis of how and why it worked its way to #1. Mr Gould's analyis might be on Youtube...
I wonder how many of us here could wing it and come up with a parallel?

This hobby, for many, is a solitary experience.
I have a large decorative decoy and bird carving collection. To my family, it's firewood. :(
So, is there something they really like? No.

To be fair, it is not just audio hobbies that get tossed under the bus in the "normal" circles, but anything really where one steps out and does something different from the masses.
About 10 years ago I built a boat, nothing big, just a 20 footer and I made the mistake that people who stopped by would be interested and I would take them out back to show my progress. Some were, but many were almost intimidated that I would dare take on something like that, and without taking some sort of classes etc. I learned that unless people are interested, don't bother them with it..
BTW, My boat.. Still have it and continues to be a source of pleasure for me even if it still is a slight diversion of audio funds.. :)
Capture.JPG

To be fair, it is not just audio hobbies that get tossed under the bus in the "normal" circles, but anything really where one steps out and does something different from the masses.
About 10 years ago I built a boat, nothing big, just a 20 footer and I made the mistake that people who stopped by would be interested and I would take them out back to show my progress. Some were, but many were almost intimidated that I would dare take on something like that, and without taking some sort of classes etc. I learned that unless people are interested, don't bother them with it..
BTW, My boat.. Still have it and continues to be a source of pleasure for me even if it still is a slight diversion of audio funds.. :)
View attachment 1144818
When are you gonna paint on the eyes? Sheesh, you don't go too far off shore as is do you?:eek:

I really don’t think you need to try and get people into vintage. Why? Just because we think it’s the cats meow doesn’t mean others should. If you want to enjoy your hobby with like minded people, why not join a forum?

The best solution is to find like minded people and do listening sessions with them. It is a chance to introduce to them and yourself, new music. And I can’t imagine a gearhead who doesn’t want to hear other people’s gear! I do that here. I’ve met a guy who designed and manufactured high end amplifiers and preamps, and I have been to his place, and he has been to my place. Interesting how every one comes up with their own unique solution for listening.

Last edited:
Most of what I have noticed is a direct lack of involvement and interests that are no different than anyone else. I have a few friends that have equipment, but they just bought it just to play vinyl and don’t really care how good it sounds. Just so they can trip down memory lane.....

My GF who is fine with playing music from her phone speaker can tell when I use my Yamaha receiver and not the PAS and Maggie. “Did you unhook the tubies”, “Yes”, “well hook them back up”. So I am thinking she really likes tubes.

Back
Top Bottom