Is this a rip off?

nj pheonix

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm leasing a Kia optima (nothing fancy). My second one. Both have been relatively headache free. First i added a maintenance contract that included scheduled (at least most) maintenance. This one they didn't offer, and i didn't volunteer. So a week or so ago i bring in for maintenance (about 28k). They say should get 30k maintenance. Aside from regular lube oil filter, tire rotation, fuel system service (which i find out after the fact is a bottle of techron. And they replace the coolant. (wipers too)
Grand total a hair under 500.
First i'm thinking i don't think i changed coolant on my toyota until around 100k (when i did timing belt and water pump).
Seems a bit steep to me. All told (i waited) less than 2 hours. I can't help but feel i was taken advantage of.
It goes back next summer. I'm pretty sure dealership changed hands after i leased this one. I'm thinking about car shopping someplace else next time.:idea:

yeah, sounds high.

They seriously have "fuel system treatment" that involves a bottle of magic juice as one of the scheduled tasks? I'm not personally a believer in that stuff, but a bottle of Techron is what, 10 bucks?

Most things have 100K coolant now, and honestly have for a bunch of years now Check the owner's manual, the maint schedule is in there. If this uses standard green antifreeze ~30k is about right though.

These are some of the costs for services you describe (plus others) from the Honda dealer. These are in Canadian dollars.
Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 9.04.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 9.04.49 PM.png

I'm sure there were some inspections involved. Still?
Interestingly
I did look at maintenance schedule (after the fact)
They show changing coolant at 60k then every 30k
See honestly I haven't bought antifreeze in years.
Let's say oil change at a dealer with tire rotation (50-75? Bucks)
Techron 20$?
Inspections 50-75$?
Wiper blades from dealer 50$?
So they open a petcock, did antifreeze get absurdly expensive?
It doesn't add up?

Last edited:
That does seem kinda high. Nothing I can see warrants that price.

Was this at a dealer? I try to use the dealer for only big items that might pop up.

Try to cultivate a relationship with a good local shop for your day to day routine maintenance They tend to be more honest and more reasonably priced and tend to take a more personal interest in you and your car. ,,,,and keep your receipts if any warranty issues arise.

Where you at in Jersey? I know a great place in Linden. ...and they give out old car calendars at Christmas!

Last edited:
Not much to do now.
Rest of services until lease runs out at jiffy lube or pep boys.
When I get my next car someplace else it won't be such a win for them

That does seem kinda high. Nothing I can see warrants that price.

Was this at a dealer? I try to use the dealer for only big items that might pop up.

Try to cultivate a relationship with a good local shop for your day to day routine maintenance They tend to be more honest and more reasonably pricedcar and tend to take a more personal interest in your . ,,,,and keep your receipts if any warranty issues arise.

I like the idea but most of the local places I liked turned over.
I even thought the dealer was fair until they turned over:dunno:

At most dealers, those scheduled "Service I" and "Service II", etc. protocols amount to nothing more than legalized ass-rape. Most of the time, you get an oil change, a new cabin air filter (maybe 6 bucks each), a can of injector cleaner (Techron), top off all fluids, and a tire rotation. And a LARGE bill....

Yes, stay away from dealers unless it's for warranty as most will pull that type over gross overcharge. You never have to go to them for maintenance, though keep bills from where you go or if you diy maint for warranty reasons.

To your basic question--yup, you got taken. Dealers don't make much money on new cars, so they make it up in used cars and dealer service. They are also known to use a lease as "leverage" against the consumer. If you don't follow the dealer/manufacturer recommended maintenance schedule, AND have documentation, they'll ding you on residual value at the lease end. Same goes for warranty work--"it's not our fault, you didn't maintain it properly".

Rest of services until lease runs out at jiffy lube or pep boys.

This has been discussed in other threads, but taking your car to one of these "quiky lubes" or "in and out" service centers is a crapshoot (at best). The "techs" that do the actual work are brutally underpaid and under-trained. The managers are just there to field complaints and sell you additional overpriced services that you don't need. My buddy is a mechanic at a fairly large Honda dealership, and 90+% of all of the CVT transmissions that they replace have failed due to improper "service" at one of those places. It is so prevalent that they stock spare trannies on the shelf--rebuild is not even an option--just chuck in a new one. Of course, the improper service voids the warranty, so open your wallet and dig DEEP.

I have never heard a good ending from a car lease.

Leasing is a good option for a lot of people--especially if you use your vehicle for work and can write if off. Once you concede that you will have a car payment (of some sort) for the rest of your days, leasing kind of makes sense. You get a new vehicle every 2 or 3 years, it should still be under warranty for that period of time/mileage, and you can keep your payment about the same--you just have to keep paying--forever. Fleet customers have been doing this forever.

This is not a stretch (in terms of a concept)--people pay their cable bill, internet bill, cell-phone bill, insurance(s), utilities every month--forever. Some folks even choose to have a "perpetual mortgage"--refinancing their home every few years and pulling the equity. There is even a recent trend in, basically, long-term rental car services. You pay a flat rate every month to use a vehicle--all insurance and maintenance included in the bill. When you are done, or want to change, you just take it back and exchange it. There was even one service that I saw on the TV news that has a fleet of new and late model used vehicles with this type of service that allows you to swap vehicles (they have price brackets of selections), up to 4 times a year at no additional charge--so if you want a convertible for the summer, an SUV for the winter, or a mini-van for the family vacation, just go swap vehicles (within your bracket). You never actually own anything, but you always have a new or newish vehicle with no strings for $XXX per month.

Not a leased story, last time I took my three year old truck in for a recall. With 35K on the speedo was informed they it needed required maintenance @ $800.
Fuel system cleaning and rear axle and transmission lube fluid change.

WTF!

What's the next time going to be, a muffler bearing going out?

well, diffs and transmissions do have fluid and it does need changing once in a while. I would be surprised if your maint schedule has it at a 30k interval though.

They get paid poorly for warranty work, so the add-on is a way to bring in some extra cash.

What's the next time going to be, a muffler bearing going out?

$50 to change the air in the tires--you know there is "summer air" and "winter air"--right? :D

On another note, years ago, I purchased a brand new car, owned it for several months (<6 months), never wrecked, but had to take it in for annual inspection. In this particular state, your inspection due date and registration due date were tied to the first letter of your last name, by month--so always buy a car right around your birthday, so you can get the full year, instead of having to renew everything (at full annual cost) within a couple months.

Anyways, I drop it off at a local inspection station (not the dealer) and my car fails inspection--"improper headlamp alignment" with a service recommendation to "calibrate headlamp alignment" for $120. Brand new, less than 6 months old and never wrecked, but the headlights weren't aligned properly? Who the f**k checks that anyways (unless they don't work, or one is shining off the ceiling)? Back to the dealer with paperwork in hand--the service manager walked inside with my registration and came back out with a sticker and piece of paper--applied the new sticker (car never left the parking lot).

I noticed they're hawking nitrogen instead of air .(tires)
300 $ on the widow sticker. Seriously?

At most dealers, those scheduled "Service I" and "Service II", etc. protocols amount to nothing more than legalized ass-rape. Most of the time, you get an oil change, a new cabin air filter (maybe 6 bucks each), a can of injector cleaner (Techron), top off all fluids, and a tire rotation. And a LARGE bill....
Yup.
I own Hondas . Bought the 10 oil change package for 175.00 . Only way to go..
Cabin filter for 6 ? They want 35 . Uh, no .

Not long ago I was overcharged on a repair by a Toyota Dealership in Lodi. Did one repair that was not authorized and overcharged labor on the repair that was. The labor overcharge was both too much per hour and too many hours. I was able to find Toyota documentation on what the authorized repair should have taken in hours and the unauthorized repair showed 1 hour of labor (in parentheses was the notation CTR 1.0 next to the charge). Using that information I filed a protest with my credit card company protesting the overage (not the full bill). They requested supporting documentation by mail. Instead of simply writing out what I thought was wrong with the bill on their form letter I sent a full documentation package with the information I found on the web as to how long the repair should take, the fact that the unauthorized repair was not needed as part of the authorized repair, pointed out the line on the receipt that showed their 1 hour labor charge and recomputed the labor charge for that amount of money.

The credit card company took some time to resolve the issue but ultimately awarded me a permanent credit to my account for the full amount I contested. Dropped a $900+ bill down to around $475 or so.

Don't know if this could help you, but on any credit card purchase, if you think the charges are incorrect, you have the right to contest them through the credit card company and they will explain your rights and the process. Documenting the overcharge and how much it is, and proving that is up to you however.

Hope this story is useful for you.

Shelly_D

Back
Top Bottom