Is This A Scam? "...selling these [JBL Speakers] for an retired friend..."

ic-racer

I happened to come across pictures of these JBL 4350s all across the USA. Being sold for an [sic] retired friend.

If this was a scam, you would think they could change the copy. I just searched for the phrase "I am selling these for an retired friend" and got over 50 hits to links or ads for the same speakers with the same copy and same pictures.

The curious thing is if it is a scam, there may have been a REAL ad somewhere. So I wonder if one is actually a real ad?

Or are robot sites merely capturing a real ad and giving an address near the person searching?
Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 3.12.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 3.10.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 3.09.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 3.09.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 3.08.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 3.07.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 3.07.33 PM.png

I happened to come across pictures of these JBL 4350s all across the USA. Being sold for an [sic] retired friend.

If this was a scam, you would think they could change the copy. I just searched for the phrase "I am selling these for an retired friend" and got over 50 hits to links or ads for the same speakers with the same copy and same pictures.

The curious thing is if it is a scam, there may have been a REAL ad somewhere. So I wonder if one is actually a real ad?

Or are robot sites merely capturing a real ad and giving an address near the person searching?
View attachment 1348855 View attachment 1348856 View attachment 1348857 View attachment 1348858 View attachment 1348859 View attachment 1348860 View attachment 1348861

create a fake email account and email him...

I've had to do so in the past on other gear, found an SX-1980 for $200 bucks once in the box... I waited to email.... I ended up saying screw it and sent and email.. The guy responded in minutes saying it sold in a matter of an hour being posted...

usually the rule of thumb is, if its to good to be true..... but you never know. Id not be shocked if they tired to flip them for 10K for a few years, and just need them gone. JBL or any brand... big speakers are just hard to sale/move..

Good luck with it tho, if you snag them we expect pictures as that one epic set!

Kind Regards,
John

Yeah, I mean I've seen someone post in multiple places in the same state trying to drum up more buyers, on CL. And I've seen someone post the same item in every category on my local CL. But this....looks hinky. You have nothing to lose by sending an email but if you can't go see and hear them in person, certainly don't send them any money.

you can take one of the images and do a reverse google images search. It should bring up the real Ad, if there ever was one. This does look very scammy

Smart enough to post detailed ad on internet + too lazy to check actual value = scam

They're a long way off or everyone wants them so he convinces you to PP him the cash. Using F&F so it's not refundable.

giphy.gif

These are not the speakers you are looking for.

Oh I see. Well then I'd email him and say, "I live close by, on my way." and see what they do then.

Usually with this kind of scam they will blow you off or find reasons they can't show them to you. You are not the victim they are looking for. And they don't actually have the speakers so there is no way they're going to say yes and set up a time to meet.

I just did a search for "I am selling these for an retired friend". At the top of the search results is this thread. I dunno why that made me laugh out loud.

That's happened to me before, usually when searching for some rare piece of gear that's being talked about nowhere else on the web but here.

It's like searching the house to see if anyone is there, and all you find is yourself in the mirror!

why-are-you-like-this-me-irl-28060053.png

I'd try to find ways to harass them, out them some how, like what we're doing here. This stuff will show up in searches(?)

Reminds me of a CL add 2014 Honda Goldwing for $900.00 20k miles fully decked out. That add was in many states around the country. Scam? I’m betting yes, but you will never know unless you try.:dunno:

Back
Top Bottom