Is this a smart idea?

THOR

Fearless Prophet
Hey, remember those 20' IC's I was using before the digital/optical solution to my ground hum problem? Well I was thinking they are pretty decent IC's, Rat Shack Gold ones, you know better than the old red/white plastic ended ones. And I was thinking that I should buy some decent gold RCA plugs and then cut each IC into 3 pieces, say two 7' ones and a 6' or two 8's and a 4' (you get the idea) and put new RCA plugs on the ends that need them and VIOLA! I got some decent, usable length IC's!! Actually I believe my local rat shack still has a couple of 20' Gold ones left on clearance for $9.99 I should buy em' all up and do the same to em' and I will have oodles of IC's, mebbe enough so that I will never have to buy another one as long as I live!!

Is this a good idea?? I think it smacks of brilliance!!! I'm a genius!! A genius I say!!! :D

A decent idea. But who are you going to get to solder new connectors on for ya? ;)

Ideas are cheap,
Actions are what counts

Lefty

I have a soldering iron Mr. Smartypants remember I built my own PC arcade joystick which required about 200 tiny solders by my own shaky hands:

Here's a closeup of the hacked joystick board, the wires had to be soldered onto tiny little points as small as the head of a pin, and they couldn't touch each other. It was really hard for a first time solderer:

Now that I've shown off my soldering ability I will say that I will be using the "compression" type screw on RCA plugs ;)

Just cuz I can solder don't mean I likes to do it :tongue:

Integrated Circuits

Thor,

Better check if those cables are compatible with screw on connectors before wasting your money. Then if they are I'd advise still not wasting your money. Screw on connectors are for dummies, not serious audiophiles. They are a cheap solution to doing a connector job properly which is to solder it on. Screw ons are asking for unreliable contact produced noise, and falling off, etc.

Just my two cents worth.

And please stop calling those things IC's. IC's are Intergrated Circuits, and until recently everyone knew that!

Rob

Hey Genius - I think GF was talking about cutting up that fancy-dancy joy stick device you so brilliantlly put together.

Moon ;)

hello all,

instead of masacarring a perfectly good interconnect, might i suggest an equally cheap (well almost) diy interconnect . pretty easy too, no fancy braiding stuff required.

i daresay they will be equal (or more likely much much better sounding) than the radioshack interconnects. i have heard better, but NOT at this price range.

just remember to use thin guage wire. if you do try these out, post back with your observations on how they sound with your monster amps.

cheers

Well Rob I am not a serious audiophile (I thought everyone knew that by now ;) ) but the solder on ones are cheaper and I DO own an iron so I will do it if it's better that way.

Moon if you ever install a MAME emulator and then install some ROMS you could play some vintage arcade games like Pac-Man and Defender and Asteroids. Try doing it on your keyboard or with a PC gamepad and you will see why I built the silly thing ;) Actually I built it to play my favorite game of all time Elevator Action! :)

Zobsky as a non believer of all thing cables and wires, I think my Rat Shack IC's sound as good as any other piece of wire so I will not be doing any DIY IC's ;) But I would like to turn these mostly unusable 20' ones into more usable lengths :)

Well Thor,

Just keep in mind that if you shorten your interconnects by ten feet then you will have to sit ten feet farther from the speakers to compensate! ;)

Rob

Back
Top Bottom