Is this a thing?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by trucha, Oct 26, 2017.

1. trucha

trucha New Member

I have an old vintage receiver and I'd like to hook up both a CD player and my phone and I pods. The receiver only has one aux setting so I have to keep switching between rca cables and the rca to 3.5 jack for the phone. It is a pita so my old CD player just sits there unused. Is there any CD players out there that allow a digital source in and then out to the receiver? Or any other way to do this?

2. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

I will help greatly to list your equipment and models and we can come up with a good way to hook it all up.

3. trucha

trucha New Member

Hitachi 903

4. blue72

blue72 Member

You should be able to use the two tape inputs on the back of the Hitachi. Hook up your RCA cables to the "Play" side and away you go.

5. drew_t

drew_t Well-Known Member

Easiest thing to do is probably get an AV switchbox like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KXVBB3Q/ , ignore the video part, and use mini jack to RCA plug patch cords for phone and pod.. If you look around a lot and/or get lucky, you might be able to find one that is meant just for audio, and maybe will have mini jack connections in addition to the RCAs.
    -----
    EDIT: the post above came in while I was writing this.

6. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

You have three inputs you can use

AUX
    Tape 1 (Play)
    Tape 2 (Play)
    I will also say you could use the Adaptor Input (In) next to Tape 2

7. trucha

trucha New Member

Ok I didn't realize I could use the tape inputs. Is there a way to route through the CD player to take advantage of the dac in there ?

8. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Depends on the CD player - it actually needs to be a newer Universal player to do that - like an Oppo.

9. Mitkraft

Mitkraft AK Subscriber Subscriber

Most CD players do not function as an outboard DAC since they would need to have a digital in which very few do. HOWEVER, in order for you to even utilize one that did, you would have to feed it DIGITAL signal from your phone/ipod. You might already be aware, but just in case you aren't, if you are using a headphone jack out then your ipod/iphone has already converted the signal to analog so no further DAC is needed/desired.

10. trucha

trucha New Member

OK, so this is a thing then. Great! So, which cd players would let me do this? I guess cheaper the better and how do I run the digital signal out from my iphone and ipod? And if I don't run my source through the cd player is this digital out better than running it out of the headphone jack? If so how would I go about hooking that up.

11. trucha

trucha New Member

Would this work....???

Best For CD to USB Copy - Sony CDP-CE500 5-Disc CD Changer

[​IMG]

Sony's CDP-CE500 is an affordable 5-Disc CD changer that does the job. Featuring CD, CD-R CD-RW, and MP3-CD playback utilizing 1-bit DA converters, the sound quality is great for a budget player.

This unit also includes both analog and digital optical outputs, USB port, and can be controlled directly or from the provided remote control. The USB port provides the added flexibility to either play back music files (AAC, MP3, WMA) stored on a USB or other compatible USB storage device.

One additional added perk is that the included USB port can also be used to copy the music from your Music CDs to a USB flash drive.

12. gvl

gvl Well-Known Member

That Sony CDC isn't a thing as despite it having a USB port it cannot function as a DAC. CDPs that can function as DACs tend to be expensive. If your CDP has a digital output better get a decent stand-alone DAC with both SPDIF and USB inputs, you can then connect both your CDP and iPhone to it digitally sending DAC's analog output to the receiver. You won't be able to have both the iPhone and iPod connected at the same time (DACs usually have a single USB input). It should improve sound from your CDP as well.

13. E.Auer

E.Auer Well-Known Member

Keep the CD player plugged in, Get a CCA that you plug in to one of the tape "play" inputs and stream to the CCA over Wi-Fi from your I-devices.

CCA

Eric
    Chromecast Audio

ldatlof likes this.