Is this bait and switch or just America ??

leftfielder

Hi guys, I have a set of Low Boy IIIs and just took a peak on E-Bay to see what some comps are going for. Well, I found these and we won't talk prices here but this dude wants what seems to be an outrageous sum of cash for the speakers in just ok condition and barely original. The cabinet walnut looks to be ok but as you will see the drivers are not the Jensen (which I have) or the later CTS drivers. That is mentioned not much in way of description and just barely glosses over what is there. Notice no binding posts so no visable x-over board and then the whizzer mid driver looks not to be original as you can see the newer looking cone and the milky white/clear silicone around that mid driver. I think they used black black RTV. I'm sure there is more, this dude has balls the size Texas to ask for that price and of course the added shipping costs is this a fair ad or that famous saying in the title ? I know you should do your home work and buyer beware but this is an outrage. Ohm Ls are gone... Lew

I'm going to post a pic of my right side speaker so you can compare the difference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RECTILINEA...742829?hash=item1a402b81ed:g:MZIAAOSweZJaKEgnIMG_4418[1].jpg IMG_4418[1].jpg

Doesn't looks like "Bait and switch" he seems to be showing exactly what he is selling,
even screwy woofers ...

So - the ebay ones came with Realistic subwoofers as Woofers from the factory ;)

"LOOKS TO BE ALL ORIGINAL EXCEPT FOR THE LARGE WOOFERS MAY HAVE BEEN REPLACED"

Both.

Could be an uninformed seller, or a crooked one.

Vintage audio is not the sellers forte based on current & completed listings. My bet is a friend, a family member or fellow "picker" told him/her these are worth a lot of money and they put an uneducated unresearched price on them.

If he hadn't provided the pic with the Rat Shack woofer the ad would be a problem. As it stands, the only thing I can accuse him of is being "optimistic". It took me months to sell Highboys for which I sourced drivers. I think I ended up taking $100.

To a great extent, the used audio market (especially for speakers) is much like the real estate market--location, location, location. In my neck of the woods, you can't give away a pair of Bozaks or Wharfdales--the market is littered with them, and to a lesser degree DCM, ADS, Advent, EPI, and Klipsch--but if you want Infinity or JBL, you are paying at or beyond Ebay prices for local sale or risking buying from CA or FL and praying to the shipping gods. When I put two of my three pair of Kappa 9's up for "local" sale (pick-up only), I had people from 4 states contacting me and they sold at "premium" prices within a week. Same thing for several pair of JBL 43xx models.

Local price is whatever the market will bear, and I agree that the asking price is "optimistic" at best--but the ad is not intentionally deceiving because of the photo representation. Someone may want them badly enough to pay a premium price knowing what they need to do to restore them. I know that I have willingly "overpaid" for a few pieces that I really wanted, and do not turn up very often--even on the Ebay markeplace. It is what it is...

That site and many others are inundated with grossly inflated asking prices by sellers that are either totally uninformed or greedy ones wanting to take advantage of the vintage audio resurgence.
I am always looking but only buy when the price is right, and there are many excellent sellers also.All others instances such as your "speaker" find, simply bring me a laugh.
Caveat Emptor

Other than the replacement woofer they appear stock. I have 3 pairs and all use clear silicone to mount the drivers.

That site and many others are inundated with grossly inflated asking prices by sellers that are either totally uninformed or greedy ones wanting to take advantage of the vintage audio resurgence.

"That site" is an international marketplace. I have sold some stuff there for astronomical prices, and all of it went far East--where the money is (and I'm not referring to NJ).

I personally don't understand the 'just America' part

Neither do I--this is America--you can ask whatever you want, and you may or may not get it--I believe that is referred to as "capitalism" which is only embraced by free societies.

Anyone thinking it’s an “American” thing has never been outside the greatest nation on earth.

There are many Hell holes all over earth where they won’t bother lying to you. They will just kill you and take your money.

This is a “free” country and people are free to be as stupid as they are and we will defend their right to it!

I personally don't understand the 'just America' part, as if only Americans act in some perceived deceitful way.

I interpreted it as the obvious shortcomings of our socioeconomic system... or the greed that it venerates ... But I understand the spell that some are under to not countenance even the slightest criticism of their regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom