Is this capacitor checker decent?

ChrisAZ

I’m new to this subject so bear with me. I ordered some NOS Russian PIO, Teflon and silver/mica capacitors for some speaker crossover experiments and I’d like to be able to test the uf rating and ESR.

Last edited:
I've had pretty bad luck with this class of instrument. You might benefit from stepping up to something like the DE-5000 from DER EE (also on eBay). It has more of the functionality of a lab type LCR bridge, including D (dissipation factor) and Q (quality factor) measurements, alternate test frequencies, etc. You won't know the value of these things right away, but it's not difficult to find good tutorial information online.

The more you spend on a Z meter the better accuracy you get. Some of the older test equipment works well after some refurbishment is done.

Thanks for the recommendations I’ve been reading through a lot of threads on the subject and was hoping (possibly unrealistically) to find something cheap that would get me by. If I’m going to spend more than $50 I’ll probably wait and save up a little for something in the $100-150 range. I love the look of those old ones with the magic eye tubes! What do you think is the best bang for your buck vintage unit? Will the vintage units measure ESR or something that can be easily converted to ESR?

Screw ESR! There are only a couple people that should be concerned with it- switching power supply designers and the dilettante. ESR is appealing because it's measured in ohms and people understand ohms. Dissipation factor is way more useful because it's proportioned to reactance for you. That said, if you have value and loss in any system of units, plus frequency, you can convert to value and ESR. AFAIK, no classic bridge reads out directly in ESR. They read out value and dissipation factor. Only when you get into instruments with a brain (uP) do they do the conversion. There's a utility on my site that will do it for you too. Though I collect and love classic bridges, they aren't for everybody. They usually need some service and getting results isn't usually a rapid process. You have to like the routine of balancing them with two knobs, and making sure you read the range switch right. Sometimes, if you don't have any starting value for the component, they can be maddening to bring in close enough for the deep null. What many classic bridges can do is make tests at full operating voltage, something especially valuable if you work on tube circuits. IMO, the most useful professional grade classic bridge for audio service work is the still-expensive GR-1617A. It has a built in DC supply so you can measure leakage up to 600 V. It's great for reforming too. It can be hard to work on and they usually need work. The GR1650s are good, though getting over-priced for a mechanical bridge. For general purpose bench work I find the GR1657 very handy. Solid state and can make many readings in-circuit. There are dozens of bridges that were made by various companies. Read Henry P. Hall's History of Impedance Measurement here- https://www.ietlabs.com/pdf/GenRad_History/A_History_of_Z_Measurement.pdf It doesn't cover everything ever made, but comes darn close! There were also service-grade bridges made by Heathkit and others. They can be decent but usually need replacement of almost all the parts to be as good as they once were. Lot's more info at http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=3ffa6ad977a62a9431fdcfeed2de5f08

I have good results with this device , one of the most useful cheap tools I've got in the last years. It will tell you if a capacitor is good or bad. And measures large capacitors too.
I've found that at small pF values, it can differ from other testers, so when in doubt, with small capacitors, I measure them in 2 different devices, and compare with a brand new capacitor.

51OPgQgejvL._SX450_.jpg

And I see your link seems to be an "upgrade" from this devices, so my vote is positive, I'd go for it and try it.

There is a whole thread at AK about "cheap component tester", with different models and opinions.

I've got this one instead of the ones with the case, because for the price of the case, I've got a second tester as a backup (different model, with signal generator and larger display)

Screw ESR! There are only a couple people that should be concerned with it- switching power supply designers and the dilettante.

And repair technicians.

The first ESR standalone meter I got was a Bob Parker uP controlled ESR meter featured in Electronics Australia. Then a Mk2 was designed a few years later. Those instruments have paid for themselves 10,000 times over with fault finding in SMPS and general switching supplies. I lost count of the number of faulty LCD monitors where the first tool to use after the screwdriver was the ESR meter.

Literally hundreds of hours saved.

The beauty of those units are you can have them in your toolbox ready to go and they can handle in circuit and charged caps (to about 50V).

http://www.bobparker.net.au/esr_meter/esrmeter.htm

Here is a link to the kit here, and a very cool little constructional video. As you can see it is a sophisticated design.

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/k2574-esr-meter-kit/

And SMPS repair technicians.
There, fixed that for you! ESR meters are good for exactly the purposes given. I'll even say that they're 100% better than nothing in any service application. It just drives me nuts that the emphasis has shifted away from dissipation factor, something perfectly suited to low frequency power supplies and such, used for the last 75 years or so because it made engineering sense, to a 100 kHz ESR measurement, which is not terribly relevant at low frequencies. Bah humbug, kids today & get off my lawn!

I have an Atlas capacitance/esr meter I bought on amazon that I have been very happy with.

Those cheap meters are fine for starting out. I never regretted buying mine. They are great for matching transistor HFE's and identifying pinout. My one is OK with cap values, and very good for measuring resistors

Back
Top Bottom