Is this correct? Akai GXC-46D Cassette Deck

corpblues

AK Member
3EDEE157-6028-40C0-A78E-71B9796526E3.jpeg picked this up from goodwill. Everything work well except for only static on left channel. Did the usual cleaning and deoxit but did not resolve the issue. Was a job to get the top cover off the deck but did.

Only thing I noticed that seems odd is where the leads from the tape head go into the first board. Should two of the wires be connected as this picture shows? Expected or did someone screw up a soldering job?

Greetings from RojoLand!

It's a bit hard to tell, but it looks like those heavy-looking white wires are the shields (ground) of the head leads, and they should go to the ground plane as it appears they do. The thin red wire coming from each lead is the "hot" wire from the head, and they appear to go to separate connections. All seems proper. You could fire up the unit, put it in Play, and gently touch each red wire with your finger or a small screwdriver. Each should cause loud hum/buzz. If so, the playback amps are likely fine. If you still get only static on the left channel, the left playback amp will require troubleshooting; get hold of the schematic and be on lookout for bad components (transistors, ICs, electrolytic caps, resistors).

If you get hum on both channels but no playback audio, check for open connection from the left channel of the head to the board input. Your buzz test will identify which of the two leads is left channel. Here's hoping the head itself isn't the fault.

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

Thanks J.E.

Doing that test it does appear there is an issue with one channel on the amp card. I am going to put for sale for parts/repair, I don't have the ability to fix it. For someone with the skills to fix it, this is a great unit as everything else works. There is one resistor on that side of the amp board that makes a very loud sound when touched.

Greetings from RojoLand!

That seems the best way to go. This is a 40-plus-year-old two-head machine. Just grabbed the manual at HiFi Engine. The amplifier may have the dreaded 2SC458 transistors which are known to go bad. (The schemo shows "2SC1312 or 2SC458".) There's also a mechanical play-record switch that can be a trouble point. Good thing is the GX head. Looking at the rig, it's got a close resemblance to my old Realistic SCT-8 cassette deck — wonder if Akai made those? Hmmm.

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

D9163531-D655-4CF8-9482-AD3C11BA2611.jpeg 8B32FDE8-B2AB-4A62-88BB-41179F0FEF05.jpeg It is a pretty cool looking top loader. Sure wished it worked but I’m putting it on the auction block.

View attachment 1274722 picked this up from goodwill. Everything work well except for only static on left channel. Did the usual cleaning and deoxit but did not resolve the issue. Was a job to get the top cover off the deck but did.

Only thing I noticed that seems odd is where the leads from the tape head go into the first board. Should two of the wires be connected as this picture shows? Expected or did someone screw up a soldering job?

There is an excellent chance of there being 2SC458 transistors in a GXC-46D. Every Akai tape recorder I've owned has had them - cassette, open reel and 8 track. I recently did some work to a GXC-40D and there were four 2SC458 transistors inside.

They can be identifed by their blackened legs which should not be black.

Also the record/play switch should have contact cleaner introduced inside of it then exercised 100 times.

Back
Top Bottom