Is this my RTR or the tape or both?

Discussion in 'Tape' started by jeep jones, Feb 13, 2018.

1. jeep jones

jeep jones Active Member

Strange issue. A friend of mine asked me to pull off some audio from a reel that was made in the 60’s. When I play the tape, I can hear the correct track audio playing in the right direction, but I also hear the reverse track, of course, playing in reverse. Both tracks are at the same volume levels, just playing over the top of each other.

I am playing this on a Pioneer RT-707. It plays all of my other tapes fine, both directions.

What is the issue here?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. I LIKE MUSIC

I LIKE MUSIC Super Member

That is likely because the tape was recorded as half track mono tape.

In the picture below, note the position of the head gaps (the working parts of the tape head) marked in red.

One of the head gaps in the tape head of your deck is playing back part of the reverse direction track of the tape that you are playing.

upload_2018-2-13_16-17-47.png

3. jeep jones

jeep jones Active Member

Hey, thanks for the quick response. Can anything be done with my existing equipment or do I have to find a 1/2 track unit?

4. I LIKE MUSIC

I LIKE MUSIC Super Member

You can just copy the correct track in each direction. It is a monophonic signal, there is no right and left channel, just one channel in each direction.

I am not sure how you are making the copy, but if you do not have a method to split the signal to both the right and left channels of the destination device and it is important to your friend to have the audio on both the right and left channels, you could use one of these plugged into the correct direction channel. This will allow you to send 2 channels of audio to the device that you are using to make the copy. Of course both channels will be the same.

upload_2018-2-13_16-30-57.png

This type of Y cable is available in what ever gender combination that you might need.

5. jeep jones

jeep jones Active Member

I think I have the correct cable. Will give that a try. Thanks!

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.