Is this "normal" - delay when powering up a 2330B receiver

Snade

humble AK member
I searched for past discussion on this on AK but did not find anything.

When I push in the power button on my Marantz 2330B there is a one second delay, then a click (seems to come from the back), and then the sound can be heard from the speakers (in this case a talk radio station).

Here is a video (turn up the sound to hear the click).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9048746194673584680

Is this a normal start-up for the 2330B ?

Thanks. Snade

Most vintage units do this. My small Marantz (2238) does it. All three of my yammies do it. I'm no techie, but I understand it has something to do with the protection relay.

BTW, great use of video for diagnostics.

the reason it does that its the speaker relay protection so when u power up ur system in case there is a surge it doesnt fry ur speaker outputs

It's normal assuming you have the radio selected. If you have a different input selected and you're hearing voices than it's proably just posessed.

willyrover said:
It's normal assuming you have the radio selected. If you have a different input selected and you're hearing voices than it's proably just posessed.

This made me laugh. Thanks for the responses.

Snade.

Ever turn on (or off) a piece of equipment and hear a loud POP burst from your speakers when you did? Besides being unpleasant, that "pop" may contain enough dc voltage/loud low tones to permanently damage a speaker. That's why most decent older gear has a delay or "protection cycle". That clicking sound you hear is a relay clicking on, to send the output to the speakers after everything is on and the "pop" phase has passed.

Just wished they still made things the way they used to, like that. I fried a woofer a while back when turning on the freebie decoder box they give you here when you get broadband television service. Of course, it had no protection circuit, and since my amp and other gear had been on and in use for a while, I forgot to turn the volume down first the way I usually would. I've had two of those boxes so far, and they've both been defective in one way or another. I'll soon get a third one, but don't expect much from it. Nope, they don't make 'em like they used to! :no: ...but at least we can still find the "used to" vintage ones! :yes: :D

Is there anyway to reduce that POP effect on pieces without a relay? Cleaning the power switch or something...? I've got a 70's Scott reciever that does it in a bad way.

Back
Top Bottom