Is this the nicest "Pro-Sumer" reel-to-reel deck ever ?

MaxxVolume

Lunatic Member
This gent has invested a fair amount of money into his system, which includes a brand-new United Home Audio R2R deck. Looks pretty spectacular, no ?

I've heard an earlier version, and yes, they are fantastic. However, and here is the rub, they are only as good as what they are fed so if you have or plan a library of master tapes at $450 a pop, then this is the deck for you. If not, then an unmodified Tascam BR-20 or other decent prosumer (e.g. Technics RS series) deck should be just fine. This guy is clearly mad at money and wants whatever is sold to him (the Wilsons prove my point :naughty:). Honestly, I would never display a model of any of my homes (or have a friend that did) so that turned me off from the get go. But more power to him...I bet his dealers love him, and they need the support. I actually like guys like this, but have so much more fun hanging out in listening rooms where anything goes.

Last edited:
I've heard an earlier version, and yes, they are fantastic. However, and here is the rub, they are only as good as what they are fed so if you have or plan a library of master tapes at $450 a pop, then this is the deck for you. If not, then an unmodified Tascam BR-20 or other decent prosumer (e.g. Technics RS series) deck should be just fine. This guy is clearly mad at money and wants whatever is sold to him (the Wilsons prove my point :naughty:). Honestly, I would never display a model of any of my homes (or have a friend that did) so that turned me off from the get go. But more power to him...I bet his dealers love him, and they need the support. I actually like guys like this, but have so much more fun hanging out in listening rooms where anything goes.

I know what you mean....IMHO, anyone who spends hundreds (thousands ?) of dollars on those little elevators that keep your speaker cables from touching the floor fall into that rarified category.... :)

If it has to have quality software to play, Make it yourself. That thing has to record with all them buttons so get out there and live record. Then you don't have to have those 450 a pop jobs.

This gent has invested a fair amount of money into his system, which includes a brand-new United Home Audio R2R deck. Looks pretty spectacular, no ?

It's a hot rodded Tascam BR 20 machine. It's very nice, a worthy competitor to the Otari MX 5050 B II. I won't say nicest prosumer deck ever, but it's in the Top 5 of such machines and a contender. And unmodified plenty fine.

Back
Top Bottom