Is this too much power???

So that would make it act like a 5 guage wire?? That would be another $75 Do you think I would notice an improvement over the one I just made. It seems like I just got two more notches on the volume dial.

this equals 8awg but two twisted cables are better than one 8awg.

i have used car battery cables but i didn`t like them.

the best termination is no termination but bare wire and very tight screwing with a tool.

if the cable is too thick to fit in the hole the second best is spades and the worst is banana plugs.

cables do make a difference but it is small.

i am using nordost superflatline biwire and they are very good.

the difference is small but somebody maybe want to pay for it.

I'm just catching up with this thread and felt the need to point out something that I believe most of the discussion ignored: Augy is using a DBX dynamic range expander.

That's something which could easily be glossed over, but makes a huge difference to this discussion of "how much power do I need." Increasing dynamic range puts many times greater demands on an amplifier.

I'm curious, Augy, if you've experimented with different DBX expander settings. What do you normally have this device set to? Have you tried backing off on the amount of expansion? Have you tried running without this unit?

I suspect minor changes would make a huge difference at the volume levels you seem to enjoy.

I'm just catching up with this thread and felt the need to point out something that I believe most of the discussion ignored: Augy is using a DBX dynamic range expander.

That's something which could easily be glossed over, but makes a huge difference to this discussion of "how much power do I need." Increasing dynamic range puts many times greater demands on an amplifier.

I'm curious, Augy, if you've experimented with different DBX expander settings. What do you normally have this device set to? Have you tried backing off on the amount of expansion? Have you tried running without this unit?

I suspect minor changes would make a huge difference at the volume levels you seem to enjoy.

80sKid,

Hey, welcome to the Infinity Forum. Do you have any Infinities? if so which ones?

You make a very good point indeed. Looking forward to some discussion on it.

I have an old Gennexxa EQ with an IMS Expander (same thing as DBX?) button on it. Hit it once and thought is was awful. I don't use the EQ, just put it in to play with once in a while.

Hello,

I've always been a big Infinity fan. Starting with the days of drooling over the IRS in the old "Tech HiFi" catalog (remember them!?!).

And I've been a huge fan of the Kappa series since first hearing them at one of the Stereophile shows in NYC in the late 80's/early 90's.

Currently the only Infinities that I own are a full surround setup compromised of all Intelude IL10s (combined with a sub of another brand).

These speakers offer tremendous value for money. Although they are a little chesty sounding, I have tamed that by putting extra batting inside the enclosure.

No matter how difficult a load the Kappa 9s may be, I find it nearly impossible to believe that a pair vertically biamped with a 200w/ch behemoth (like the Nak PA7) doesn't provide sufficient volume.

That's why I think perhaps the dynamic range expansion is at fault here. Either that, or Augy's listening room is massive (or he has a death wish for his ears).

Augy Here, Sorry for the delay lots happening on the personal front round here. I usually keep the settings modest on the expander the impact restoration a little more pronounced. It does take a bit out of the amp ( and the speakers ) but it brings sounds out that I could only get from turning up volume before without the expander. It sounds much better with the expander than without.

Hey guys....No need to talk about me like I'm not even in the room. I didn't say the volume wasn't sufficiant ..... Its plenty loud enough But I do get a little crazy sometimes and you are probably right the reason the amps begin to clip probably does lie in the expander but more likely the amount of impact restoration. At moderate levels though this setup sounds just beautiful. I wish you could hear how rich and fluid it sounds. When I play it loud it sounds great too but everybody round here goes nuts so I know its definatly loud enough. Its just that the kappa 9's can take more power than the naks can give. and I would rather it the other way round. I am not unhappy by any means.
Hello,

I've always been a big Infinity fan. Starting with the days of drooling over the IRS in the old "Tech HiFi" catalog (remember them!?!).

And I've been a huge fan of the Kappa series since first hearing them at one of the Stereophile shows in NYC in the late 80's/early 90's.

Currently the only Infinities that I own are a full surround setup compromised of all Intelude IL10s (combined with a sub of another brand).

These speakers offer tremendous value for money. Although they are a little chesty sounding, I have tamed that by putting extra batting inside the enclosure.

No matter how difficult a load the Kappa 9s may be, I find it nearly impossible to believe that a pair vertically biamped with a 200w/ch behemoth (like the Nak PA7) doesn't provide sufficient volume.

That's why I think perhaps the dynamic range expansion is at fault here. Either that, or Augy's listening room is massive (or he has a death wish for his ears).

Back
Top Bottom