Is Tidal in trouble?

Discussion in 'Streaming Services' started by Condorsat, Dec 14, 2017.

1. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Always with the opening urban music selections was a minor annoyance for me, too. Was, I say. Cancelled Tidal today when I found that all my favorite albums and playlists - everything in My Music - had been replaced with all urban, all the time. I'd spent many hours setting it up. I'm done. Right now, it is Pandora Free, FM radio and PC files for me until I decide if and when to rent music again. Add brief dropouts at times, and longer interruptions occasionally to the cons list.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

Yeah, I'd gotten really sick of opening the app to that nonsense myself. I hate to be negative, but, it's a serious marketing and image problem to do that. If they're pushing "high quality" to audiophiles (which is suspect, since some of their files are audibly watermarked), hitting those audiophiles full in the face with "urban" isn't going to win them any friends. (The real shame is that many of these AXPONA exhibitors are probably unaware of the watermarking, and will use the tracks in their demos this weekend...)

musichal likes this.
  3. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

As an audiophile I have had a difficult time taking any of the ones I have tried very seriously either. The cheesy interfaces, at times sq issues, and just finding something I want to listen to thats new is way harder than it should be imo. 40 million tracks, without a robust search engine and discovery algorithm is pretty useless to me. If this is the future of music listening they still have some ways to go for me to toss my music and go with streaming.

I think that most people really don't care about the issues I have with streaming and just want to turn on some noise with some kind of beat so because of that I am not holding my breath that things will get better soon.

AlTinkster92 and musichal like this.
  4. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Tidal has been 'dying' for years and yet I have used it every day.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 7.37.59 AM.png

5. gguillot

gguillot AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use it with Roon and don’t have to see the web interface. With that said, I am just waiting for Roon to start interfacing with other music services - MQA does nothing for me, so Tidal holds no other value, especially since full 16/44 recordings are becoming more commonplace on other streaming services.

6. GChief

GChief AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am in the who cares what genre they are pushing when I open the app crowd. I have no problem finding what I am looking for or cruising new music on the services I have tried (iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, Tidal). I find navigation in all of them easy enough, I do prefer some features over others, Spotify lets you shuffle your songs without "making" a list, Tidal makes you add tracks and you can shuffle those, very minor annoyance. Streaming is not going anywhere, it will continue to improve and will be the norm. The services may or may not be called the same thing next year but its here to stay and IMO new physical media will be a boutique market.

That being said my streaming is background music at most for us, when I am "listening" its poppy scratchy vinyl. :cool:

Rockyhill and RamblinE like this.

7. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

As long as Tidal continues to offer a military discount ... not going anywhere. I stream lossy .. so I have numerous other choices.

As far as apps ... I'm not that type of user. I use a laptop/usb Dac to home 2.1 ch stereo. I select an album to stream in
    the same manner I choose an LP to play. Select album and sit down to hear it. My streaming (lossy) sound a damn site better than I ever thought it would some years ago .. still not done with upgrades.

The way I decide what album to stream is usually done with books. o_O Yes, books. Example: picked up Jazz: The Essential Guide to Artists & Albums off eBay for $4.36 (including S&H). I listen to recommended Artists & Albums I have not heard before. Not to decide what physical media to buy (although that happens sometimes) but just to listen.

I still buy some physical media ... mostly Vinyl (crate digging is fun). I'm not abandoning or selling my physical media but it's no longer my main focus.

8. GChief

Same here brother

armyslowrdr likes this.
  9. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Been looking for the place on the Tidal player to inquire about the military discount? Can't seem to find it.....

10. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

11. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks Olson, will do! :)

GChief likes this.

12. GChief

I sent a redacted DD214. Took about 10 minutes to get the email back.

13. vintage 5.0

vintage 5.0 vintage 5.0 Subscriber

Well I did google music for a long time. I switched to Tidal and I am very happy. I like being able to have such a large selection so easy to get to. I am not into rap but it is not hard to push one button and go to the stuff I like. My son who is 25 said it is aimed at young folks, not old guys like me who do not know how to work computers. LOL I have to say he is pretty much right. I do not know a lot but enough to get around. I do think for now Tidal has such a large library of music it is also for me easy to use. I am not sure for me I will ever listen to CDs again. I also am not sure why I need to download music when it is all at my fingertips to listen to. I do collect some vinyl but do I really need all the files stored on my computer taking up space. In reality, all of our audio gear and music is just ours for now. Tidal is not perfect but for me, it works really well.

GChief and E.Auer like this.
  14. Danddd

Danddd AK Subscriber Subscriber

I like that Tidal and Qobuz can be integrated into Audirvana. With Tidal I ignore the rap/urban music or what's popular today, that's why it's up front. Tidal added the ECM label, so a ton of jazz just became available. I did notice using Tidal, that albums I save as favorites become little played after a while. So that $20/month is well spent instead of buying CDs. I've pretty much moved all in on Tidal and barely listen to my LPs anymore..

Midwest Ear and E.Auer like this.
  15. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Active Member

I pay extra for Qobuz mostly to not support MQA in any way but ended up gettiing the bonus of a better Jazz catalog. Win win!

16. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

I applaud Tidal for having a military discount. Many active and former military individuals and families don't have a lot to spend on music.

That is a Win-Win.

Eric

ldatlof, Condorsat and GChief like this.

17. GChief

No problem paying for it but I will take advantage of it :banana:

ldatlof, Condorsat and E.Auer like this.