Isolation Transformer

styler

esteemed peers,
can anyone recommend an isolation transformer? i have an old house that has really crappy wiring. per wiring, i have one hot lead and one neutral with a ton of hum and feedback. powerline conditioners and dedicated circuits will not eliminate this. as a result an "isolation transformer" was recommended by an esteemed source. can anyone recommend a product/brand/manufacturer of such a device?
thanks
tyler
:scratch2:

Wouldn't it be safer to re-wire the entire house?It probably has alumimum wiring which is a fire hazard sometimes

Alan

Last edited:
Try these folks. If they are still around they make good gear.

Powervar
28457 N. Ballard Drive, Suite C
Lake Forest, IL 60046
800-369-7179

My info is a bit old, so you may need to 'google' them to get current contact numbers, etc.

I did a search and here is their website: http://www.powervar.com/

Make sure you are quick to skip the intro as it is far too long.

They have moved to someplace else just up the road, but still in IL. High quality products that I've used successfully in many applications in industry. Might be overkill for the home, but are relatively inexpensive compared to the stuff that 'Stereophile' is pushing and at least as well made.

gracias senor

looked at their website, which one should i buy.... any thoughts? 6 components.
muchas gracias :thmbsp:

Believe their ratings in VA (volt (P)-amps(I), where P=IE, according to Ohm) are for continuous duty. So you can probably get one that is 50% higher rating than you total idling current and be safe. The occasional peaks you'll get from blasting yourself for an hour will probably be fine. You can also select the one you think works best for your installation and then send PowerVar your system info and selection and ask what they think. They'll most likely help you make the proper selection. They don't want you to have the wrong one any more than you do.

low buck method

You can isolate on the cheap by taking two identical AC transformers hooked back to back. 117v in, to say, 12v out. This feeds the 12v winding of the second unit and you'll get your 117v back, nicely isolated. Any secondary voltage is alright, so long as both units match. How cheap depends on if you have or can get the size transformer you need used or surplus.

The transformers' rating should exceed what you'll need or the voltage will drop significantly.

But I have to wonder if the hum's coming in that way or if you have some other problem.

It may be you need to create your own system ground, or maybe flip a power plug or two around. To do this, you may have to temporarily defeat the polarized AC plug via an adapter, extension cord or other method. Most audio gear is just two-wire anyway with no direct connection to house wiring ground. Perhaps the house circuit has the hot and neutral wires switched?

Lots of other causes for hum in the system besides the AC. Maybe try to narrow it down by eliminating or swapping stuff. Is it there no matter what, on FM as well as CD or turntable? Or maybe just the turntable's headshell or cables have become loose. If it does seem to come from the AC lines, try to power the system or just single pieces of it from an extension cord plugged into another outlet/circuit to see if that changes anything.

Good luck!

-Ed

Back
Top Bottom