issue with AKAI AA-1030 Receiver

Discussion in 'DIY' started by rotco, May 17, 2018.

1. rotco

rotco Member

back to the rx.
    i gave it another cleaning...really deep one... deoxit everything.. especially the selector switch which was felt to me a bit "sticky", and the volume knob which felt to me like "Lack of continuity".
    (btw, when i encounter a really dirty one and sticky, i give it a heat with a hair dryer fan, and after that i deoxit it. it turned to be really effective).
    i let it 24h to dry since i use oily deoxit with lubricant.

from first operation (it was late at night i couldn't really go deep into what you recommend me yet... just turned it on to see if the cleaning helped).

and i feel like the explosion noises got really less worse, only when i got about around +80% of the volume... (before i thing it happens already in 40%).
    but, what i realize now is... that it might just not amplifying!
    try to say... that i turned the volume up to approx. 80%... and the speakers makes only a low volume..
    so.. might it means that there is an issue with the Power Amp level? and the only reason i still got music thru the speakers its because of the Pre amp board? (i used i really cheap headphones also... they were felt like they having the same behavior as the speakers)

if so.. how can i continue from here?
    @mbz - i checked if the bass frequency has a special effect.. and it didn't feel like that. plus, i tried to "play" with mono/loudness switches... also, no special effect.

for the fuses i said they are in parallel. sure i was wrong! just wrote it and i knew i was wrong.. they are just lying one parallel to the other.

for the Scope... i don't really need lots of room on my desk... i'm using a laptop.
    do i really need to do all this precautions? the device itself hasn't have the protective components in it? do i really need to make a DIY protection?
    what's the connection to my sound card?
    the Scope is only connected thru USB.
    (it's only a hobby... i really don't want to but a scope higher then 60 bucks...as long as i can purchase this one with reasonable price)

from the computer (or actually my cellphone) i hoped to insert the audio signal from a basic free "signal generator" app.

p.s
    thru this quick basic operations.. i notice also that the high frequency filter switch isn't reacting at all. (the low frequency filter did it's job..
    i guess it cannot affect now.. and i will deal with it later after the receiver will back to life... hope so
    (maybe it's just an old capacitor in the filter board)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. rotco

rotco Member

Btw
    I finally got the "special" ccapacitor for making myself an Audio Test Probe.
    Maybe i can start with it and wait with the O-Scope.

Is there any thing i should be aware of while using it?
    May i use it wherever i want?
    Or maybe after the amp section while the signal is amplified, i need to prevent using it there? (Or even in the speakers terminals output)

What about the p.s?i can guess it's a circuit without a sound signal... Only electricity?
    Ao i won't be able to find something there.. But..is it still safe to try there?

Sonce probably i wont know each point what is it exactly.. And might want to try "free" any point i see.

(Ofcourse i will track the route thru scheme, but in case i have a mistake)

Thanks

3. mbz

mbz AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use a software package that uses my PC soundcard, my cro's/tektronixs need a restore. The sound card needs to be
    protected from excessive voltage otherwise it can be damaged. A series capacitor should be connected to block dc voltage, maybe 10nf or smalled?
    A voltage divider should be considered if you are measuring large audio signal, ie, at the speaker posts. Typically a 1/10th divider is used, ie a 1 ohm
    resistor in series with a 9 ohm resistor, measure voltages across the 1 ohm resistor. You only need the divider if you are measuring at the spkr posts.
    The blocking cap is a must have.