Issues streaming from phone

Mark_Riley

Hello AK, been happily lurking here until now. I have a streaming question. I am relatively new to vintage audio. I have a MR78, C34v, and Mc2125 that I recently acquired from another AK member. My issue is that when I connect my samsung s8+ phone to an input on the C34v (not phono) there is about a 60% reduction in both volume and sound quality. Using spotify premium, and a 3.5mm to 2RCA for the connection. Have tried 2 other phones, and used all of the C34v inputs, all with the same results. Tried the samsung and same hookup cables on 2 more modern receivers and had no issues at all with volume/quality. I was hoping someone here would see this and offer some/any advice!
Don't know if a DAC is a solution. I would love to be able to stream wireless if possible, providing sound wasn't too compromised. Thanks.

Sounds like you need a streaming device.

In my family room system, mx112 and mc250, I had the same issue and the sound quality was meh with a phone - 3.5 to rca. I went the streaming route also and purchased the Node 2i. Solved both issues, sound quality and loudness. Got another for the basement system. It streams through WiFi. It also frees up your cell phone too and you can control everything with an app depending on which streamer you go with.

**Actually after reading your post over, it’s hard to say if there is a difference of inputs, vintage vs modern preamps.

Last edited:
Hello AK, been happily lurking here until now. I have a streaming question. I am relatively new to vintage audio. I have a MR78, C34v, and Mc2125 that I recently acquired from another AK member. My issue is that when I connect my samsung s8+ phone to an input on the C34v (not phono) there is about a 60% reduction in both volume and sound quality. Using spotify premium, and a 3.5mm to 2RCA for the connection. Have tried 2 other phones, and used all of the C34v inputs, all with the same results. Tried the samsung and same hookup cables on 2 more modern receivers and had no issues at all with volume/quality. I was hoping someone here would see this and offer some/any advice!
Don't know if a DAC is a solution. I would love to be able to stream wireless if possible, providing sound wasn't too compromised. Thanks.
Is there a setting for “fixed volume” output in your Spotify settings? The app may think you are using the phone volume control for headphones.

Thank you all for the input thus far. That 2i does look like a nice unit. Spotify does have a 'normalize volume' you can toggle off/on (toggling has no effect), but I didn't see fixed volume.

+1

I'm using a Sonos Connect with my McIntosh MAC7200 stereo receiver and couldn't be happier!

Solid connection every time & extremely reliable control app from Sonos.

I have one in my family room system. It's a 2 zone system and I have speakers throughout the house and on my patio. So convenient to change music from my phone from a remote area.

Thanks again for the information. Upon looking into the Connect, some are saying there is a loss of quality, or questioning the quality of the DAC inside. Is this just internet posturing on their part. I like what the unit offers, just wish I could get it in black, instead of white.

Thanks again for the information. Upon looking into the Connect, some are saying there is a loss of quality, or questioning the quality of the DAC inside. Is this just internet posturing on their part. I like what the unit offers, just wish I could get it in black, instead of white.
I have a Sonos Connect. As a starter streamer it is pretty darn good. I upgraded to a Bluesound Node 2 and better external Dac. In my main system I heard increases in SQ at each of those additions.

I now have the Sonos in another setup, mainly family room/dining area. Its simple interface and good UI. You can probably find used Sonos here or on auction sites. Bluesound recently came out with a new version so the 2 may be had reasonable used too.

I bought the Node 2i because of the price point and also the amount of positive reviews I’ve read. Spotify is flawless on it and you can use the Spotify app through the Node as well as the bluOS app. I don’t get any drop outs and the sound quality is great. Lots to read out there! Good luck

There might be, but I don't hear it. If you think about any streaming device, you're wirelessly sending music to a device, then through the system and into your stereo. There has to be some loss happening somewhere. If you want perfect quality, your phone isn't the best way to get it in the first place. For convenience, it's the best way to go that I've found so far.

Thank you. It is the honest and knowledgeable advice this site offers that makes it so addictive. I am leaning towards picking up the Node. Its black and everything on my rack is black, so there is that. I still wish I could figure out what it is about my C34V that it wont properly accept the phone connection like a more modern receiver will (I tried 2, a Yamaha and Onkyo). There is a part of me that needs to know! The preamp has been completely refurbished and tested. /shrug

what it is about my C34V that it wont properly accept the phone connection

Are you running your phone at it's 'maximum' volume when plugged into the 34?

There are a couple of reasons you need to do this. The output will still be less than other sources but it may sound better if you didn't have it at full before.

Yes, phone volume maxed. I am going to try 2 other options this weekend. I have a chromecast audio on its way. I am also going to try to connect my phone to the preamp using an USB-C to RCA instead of the 3.5mm to RCA. Will report on results.

I connected mine via digital output coax to the built-in DAC of my MAC7200 and it sounds great.

I compared the coax to the optical and couldn't hear any difference. I never tried the analog output.

If your pre-amp/receiver has a built-in DAC, connected it that way. If it doesn't, there are some really good DACs in a small footprint that are not too expensive.

It's definitely worth looking into considering how extremely reliable & easy-to-use the Sonos Connect & it's phone app are.

Update. Got the Chromecast Audio hooked up. Connected to C34V using the same 3.5 to RCA. This accomplished a couple things for me. Allowed wireless streaming and corrected the volume issues. The plan is to now pick a DAC - the earlier suggestions are on my list - as well as the inexpensive Modi 3. I can use a 3.5 to TOSLINK to connect the Chromecast Audio to the new DAC, thus bypassing the Chromecast's internal DAC. Should have this all sorted within the week, thanks again for all your help. I was definitely spinning my wheels before. Will let you know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom