It’s official- New MC1.25KW

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by joeinid, Nov 9, 2017.

1. CoolHomey501

CoolHomey501 New Member

Hey guys! I've been jammin on my McIntosh systems lately and just heard about the new MC1.25KW mono and had to drop in. I want to get one and want the low-down on how to snag one. I know the guy at a local shop here -- what do you guys think I should offer him? I am a pro negotiator (it's how I made my millions) and I really want to stick it to the sales guy pretty good. I'm like DJT with the deals. What is a good starting point? I'll do the rest.

2. jblnut

jblnut Don't Overthink It Subscriber

How about offering a fair price and not trying to "stick it to the sales guy" ? He needs to stay in business for you and the guy after you (etc) so that he'll be around a while.

jblnut

MarZutra likes this.
  3. gtech

gtech New Member

You do realize that you will need 2 for stereo.

Chubba and joeinid like this.
  4. Hyfi

Hyfi Super Member

LOL, then he can stick it to the salesman twice :)

ron-c likes this.
  5. VintageMac

VintageMac McIntosh Junkie Subscriber

And, that it has not yet been produced and distributed! It has merely been announced.

6. MarZutra

MarZutra Super Member

I've heard a lot about these big McIntosh amps. I'd love to play with them on my speakers for a weekend. They'd crush my HK monos however I'd love to see by how much. They certainly are impressive to say the very least...

7. joeinid

joeinid Well-Known Member

Delivery is running 4-6 weeks on the MC1.25KW amps right now.

8. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Post of the year Mr. Cuban!

Sansushi and kevzep like this.
  9. jimimac

jimimac Active Member

I think they wanted to get away from the black box look with this new model.Also1200 watts is A conservative rating.1. 25K meters are not necessarily.They look awesome to me and I have not listened to them yet.But am looking forward to it.

4-2-7 likes this.
  10. joeinid

Hi jimimac,

I love the new look and updates. Please take extra care :) making my pair. I am dying to get them and can’t wait. Fingers crossed Christmas will come early.

4-2-7 likes this.
  11. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Well-Known Member

Don't the MC1.2KW amps have larger autoformers? I agree with your assessment of the sound. I believe the MC303 is voiced like the newest Mcintosh designs. The older MC1.2KW didn't use thermaltrak transistors, at least I don't see that in the manual. The new amp, the MC1.25KW will use Thermaltrak. As you say the older MC1.2KW has an "ease and flow." If that is combined with the newer clarity and dynamics that came with the Thermaltrak designs, it's going to be a special amplifier. This amplifier should sound as different from the 1.2KW as the MC601s sound from the MC501s. It's a huge design change, again imo.

joeinid likes this.
  12. Velocityboat

Velocityboat Well-Known Member

The bass improvement should prove interesting by the bigger filter capacity. Anyone now how much bigger the caps are? The extra 0.1 dB headroom you might not hear except with hard to drive speakers, but sounds good on paper.

Interesting having glass topped autoformers.

13. joeinid

I love my MC303, do I keep it or sell it once the MC1.25KWs arrive? It probably wouldn’t see much action with the new amps in place. :( I’d hate to sell it knowing it would be near impossible to replace.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 10:02 AM
  14. Velocityboat

Velocityboat Well-Known Member

Are all your speaker systems in the same room? If not can always displace other amps or leave it on set where synergy is best.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM
  15. joeinid

Excess gear is stored off to the right in the L part of the room. Might be time to setup some gear in another room and keep it running.

jimimac likes this.
  16. jimimac

jimimac Active Member

It would be awesome to wake up Christmas morning and find A pair under your Christmas tree.Santa Rules Man...

4-2-7 and joeinid like this.
  17. joeinid

It would be even better if you signed my pair :)

4-2-7 and jimimac like this.
  18. jimimac

jimimac Active Member

The power transformers are rated at 1,400 watts. I hate lifting them .I am not 18 anymore. Sure 40 years ago I did it all day long and it was Fun...

4-2-7 likes this.
  19. jimimac

jimimac Active Member

Thanks that would devaluate them.Charlie Randall signs some of the special edition Amps.

4-2-7 likes this.
  20. jimimac

jimimac Active Member

You should make A factory tour and see how they are built.If you mention my name they may not let you near the property LOL...

4-2-7 and joeinid like this.