It was only 1/4 of the weight

old_tv_nut

See Yourself on Color TV!
Subscriber
Last night I learned something I never asked to know - what it feels like to have an SUV roll onto your foot.
I was crossing with the signal and a driver made a left turn from behind me across my path, and apparently realizing the problem too late, stopped with the left front tire on my right foot.

This happened in Crystal City, VA (near DC). I have two fractures and a big splint boot, which I am taking back home to AZ for surgery, since I came here only for a few days to tour and to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Digital HDTV Grand Alliance.

Sheesh - if you don't like digital, just say so!

Greetings
I once had a NYC taxi run over my foot. It was smaller than a SUV and there was no damage, Good, as it left the scene.
Sorry to hear that your experience was different.

I'm sorry to hear this. Seems like this good have turned out far worse. I'm glad that it didn't. Get well soon!

-Dave

I have a similar experience, but less foot damaging than yours, and maybe more bizzare !

I was helping my B-I-L flush his recently purchased used Honda Accord`s radiator in 2003, and asked him to crank it up after draining and closing off the drain petcock..
Well, it was a manual transmission car, and I`m standing there with my partially paralyzed left foot in front of his Honda`s right front wheel, thinking--ok he(my B-I-L has been driving for UPS for 30 years at that time, both package cars, and dual trailer Semi pulls around the SE. US. for years.

Well he brain farted and cranked the car up without pushing in the clutch, as the car was old enough to have no safety lock out feature.
And he preceded to lurch the Honda`s right front wheel on top of my already bunged up left foot, so I promptly threw myself down backwards on his driveway, to get, at least, my ~160 lbs. of weight of it !!

And after what seemed like a longer then should have taken I hollered out to him(since I was no longer standing in his view !) : Would you mind backing up the car to get it off my foot !!

The foot was ok, (I could still hobble) but his hose clamp on the end of the hose to clamp the replacement male hose fitting had ripped opened my right hand pinky finger as I promptly released the hose`s sprayer screwed to it during the event..

He finally, after what seemed longer than it should have taken, cranked it up & backed up and released me, and then patched up my little pinky enough for me to go drive get some more Gin, to promptly medicate my medical emergency !!

Still have the scar..

Mercy Sakes Alive !!

Well, we've both been reminded it just takes a moment. This kind of thing reminds me of one reason why I gave up flying soon after I got my license. I felt that getting rusty 6 months at a time due to Chicago weather was allowing too much room for human error to creep in.

Never had THAT pleasure, but once, a group of us went to see some motorcycle races, and the car got stuck in mud. I opened the door, got out, grabbed the pillar to push with both hands. Somebody slammed the door shut on both of my hands! I was stuck, and yelled "open the door". Luckily, the gap was large enough that I did not break any fingers, but they were sore for a week.

We were riding a car hood on the backroads after a fresh snow pulled by a 61 Chevy. A buddy was riding the rear quarter/trunk and was holding on by the open window's track. Going around a corner he started to slip off and as he slipped his hand slid down down the inside of the window track till it came to the tapered point at the back of the window catching his wrist so he was being dragged. He was on the side of the car so that centrifical force pulled him away from the car if he would have been on the other side so he was pulled into the car it could have gone a lot worse if his leg would have gone underneath the tire he might have lost that hand. As it was he was pretty sore for a few days.

Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited:
Well, I had surgery Wednesday. Plates and screws for one bone, and a pin and wire for the other, which was partially crushed. No weight bearing on foot while healing. In rehab to learn how to get up and down stairs, etc. etc.

So sorry I missed this one old tv. Praying you heal quickly & totally my friend!

Rome

Back
Top Bottom