It's a start...

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by kretinus, Jan 15, 2018.

1. kretinus

kretinus squanto was a fool Subscriber

[​IMG]

H/T:

Yamaha RX-V645, JBL 8330s on mains, Klipsch Quintet for rear surrounds and center.

Music:

Peavy PV8USB mixer
    Behringer CX2310 Crossover
    QSC USA 370 (110wpc)
    QSC USA 850 (240wpc)
    Rockville SPGN124
    Rockville SBG1158

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018 at 1:13 PM
  2. Nixxuz

Nixxuz Active Member

How are those Rockville subs? I was thinking of getting one because of the price, but I'm not sure how musical they are.

botrytis likes this.
  3. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Nice pieces!

Rome

4. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

If that is just a start, I am curious what a final product would look like. Impressive set up!

7whales7 likes this.
  5. Marine0811

Marine0811 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I’ll bet it sounds good. Nice job!

6. kretinus

I think anyone who sits in my theater chairs won't want to believe their $100 cheap imports. They're crossed at around 60 Hz where the JBLs start to sputter and the combination works well for me at least.

The cabs are cheap particle board but very well braced, the drivers come in at over 10 pounds each with 2.5" voice coils, huge magnets and vented poles, pretty sure the drivers are making it all happen.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  7. kretinus

That's a question that requires we go to the dark corners of my mind and we're just not ready for that ")

stevepaige and 7whales7 like this.
  8. Nightwisher

Nightwisher Farer In The Goldilocks Zone Subscriber

9. Nixxuz

Nixxuz Active Member

I was looking at one of the 18" powered units, but I'm not sure on the fan sound. Still torn between DIY, a couple Dayton 15"s, or the Rockville. I don't really need LOUD bass. I just want musical and the ability to go deep if needed. I'm just too cheap to pony up for an SVS or Rythmik.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  10. guiller

guiller Toscaninichus Australis

Nice rig!

11. mark warren

mark warren Always Learning! Subscriber

Enjoy Brother! :rockon:

12. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

13. elegua03

elegua03 Member

nice men love

14. kretinus

My rack came today, so everything got moved into the laundry room, with storage shelves already conveniently located. The Adevnts are going to have to stay on main duty for the H/T until I can figure how why the sub out on the Ymaha refuses to recognize my amps and subs, or it may be it just doesn;t work period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ds2000, avionic and Nightwisher like this.
  15. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Looking good Troy.

16. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber

helluva start

17. kretinus

A new grill for one of the subs is on the way, got a bit dented in shipping, so I pulled it and the driver for sone pictures.
    [​IMG]

Black felt and yellow labs don't mix...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Nixxuz

Nixxuz Active Member

Not a bad looking sub. I may grab at least one of the 18" passives for the cheap price. 2 of them for $265 isn't a bad deal either right now.

19. kretinus

the subs, at least the passive ones seem to get fairly good reviews for what they are. Make sure you buy them from Amazon though, as in shipped by Amazon, Audio Savings/Rockville have a nice little return scheme going. They ship for free, exchange or store credit for defective and they pay return shipping, if you just don't like them, you have to pay return shipping, plus they hit you for their original shipping and handling fee, and a restocking fee, so you'd end up with a refund of half your money or less.

With Amazon you;re just honest, not as advertised, they pay return shipping.

20. kretinus

Finally found the replacement for the Rockville on Reverb, picked up a QSC USA 850 on it's way from Minneapolis. And since I had a ton of credits on Amazon from my birthday, I decided to add to my collection of cheapo Chinese pro gear with a pair of Rockville SPG88s, advertised as a black plastic enclosure with an 8" driver and a 1 3/8" titanium compression driver/wave guide which I received today. The reviews were all good, albeit noting a lack of bass, on the other hand it's a small ported 8" designed to be used with a sub, and it pairs well enough with my Rockville subs, crossed at about 100Hz. Compared to the JBL, the highs are crisper and more discernible, mids are well imaged bass rolls off fast, couldn't see these being used stand alone except for voice and maybe acoustic guitars, and they get a bit harsh at their upper volume limits, very pleasant at normal levels though, not as smooth as the JBLs though. I think I'll see if I can stick one of the JBL woofers in it for giggles and see what I hear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I removed the collar to get a better look at the driver, the wave guide is molded into the cabinet, but takes a standard 1 3/8" mount driver, so it will be easy to upgrade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018