It's AKAI time! With lotsa pics!

jhoyt

Incomprehensible space llama
I got the work done (mostly) on my new Akai combo, AM-2800 and AT-2600.

First, the tuner was wrenched on: I nearly totally rebuilt the power supply, increasing the power filtering caps, and replacing a troublesome diode pair. I also replaced the caps around the output op-amp, which unfortunately is an obscure piece that I can't easily replace with a modern piece. I also added a coax connector on the back.

With the amp, I replaced all the electrolytics in the preamp section, and the input caps in the amp. Interestingly, the preamp used electrolytics all the way down to .1uF! I used Panasonic ECQ series polypropylene film caps for all sizes under 1uF, and Elna Silmic II for above. I also used Panasonic FC caps for power filtering in the preamp and power amp. Unfortunately, I forgot to order a couple cap sizes, so I will have to go back in at some point and change out the 3.3 and 33 uF caps.

When I got the amp, the right channel was blown--evidently it had been overdriven. So the power transistors in both channels were replaced with ON-Semi MJ21193/4, and some cooked resistors were replaced. Then I discovered the pre-drivers were also blown. I replaced them with a transistor pair I had on hand, a pull from a Kenwood parts unit, with very similar specs. Now, both channels have new pre-drivers also, ON-Semi TIP31C/32C.

Bias set very nicely, and I am pumped! This set is VERY nice looking, and is in great shape.

Here's what I learned:
1. Dim-bulb testers are a fuse's best friend.
2. Poly-film caps are big--and don't fit into the space of a tiny 'lytic very easily!
3. Triple-check your schematics, circuit board diagrams, and by all means look at what cap values you are removing. The schematic was going to have me put 47uF caps into the preamp signal path! What a difference a decimal point makes...

Enjoy the pics!

akai_set2.jpg

akai_set1.jpg

am_inside1.jpg

Did you bypass your main filter caps with polys? If so is that a modification or were they already bypassed with something?

Very neat work BWT

Yeah, I added those bypass caps. .47uF.

I forgot to mention, I also redid the phono preamp section with the polys and Silmics.

Beautiful work, and great pics too.

What is the resistor doing in the bypass circuit? And how did you choose values for any parts in the bypass?

The resistor is stock. I'm not sure what it's purpose is, though. Maybe to drain the caps faster after shut-down? To be honest, others have suggested bypass values in the range I used. At my skill level, I know what I'm doing, but not necessarily why. There are certain people whose opinions and expertise I trust, and I figure that if they suggest it, it must be right. :yes:

I just listened to Mark Knopfler sing "So Far From The Clyde" -- wow! What a haunting song, rendered with amazing soul.

Computer / Audigy2 -> Akai AM-2800 -> Polk Monitor 10's

At my skill level, I know what I'm doing, but not necessarily why.

Yep, that's where I'm at. Takes a long time and lots of work to even get there. You sure did some fine work on that Akai pair. Looks great! :thmbsp: I'm recapping/troubleshooting an AA-1175 receiver right now. One thing I hate about it, no markings for cap polarity on the circuit boards. And I like your song choice for testing the gear! :music:

Akai circuit boards: :thumbsdn:

Triple-check all your component values, because even the SM schematic and diagrams were fond of omitting decimal points in component values!

That is impressive work! This is from a card carrying compulsive.

I'm impressed. You might make me go to work on some of my vintage gear.

Sweet! One of my first purchases was an Akai AM-2600 (looks identical to yours, but slightly less wattage) with that same tuner. I had to get my dad to co-sign the loan. That was over 30 years ago....wow.

I loved that amp! Great gear. Nice work!

Back
Top Bottom