It's good to see they took their heads out of their...

markshan

Sir Thrift a Lot
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/17/photobucket-image-hosting-plans/

I went looking at an old thread of mine and noticed the photos which had gone away were back! This is big news for my two favorite scroe threads.

This one... http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/im-not-really-a-jazz-guy-but.709511/ and this one... http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/i-was-just-looking-for-a-record-cabinet.429538/

I hated trying to tell these stories without images.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I decided on "AK News" since this move will affect hundreds of threads here, not just mine, I am certain.

Hiya,

Love to know exactly what "ad-supported" storage means for AK. Considering all the issues AK is already having with AD Networks and malvertising.

But it seems like a lower price though. And to be honest anyone thinking this should be "Free" should check that attitude. Nothing is really "Free".

Frannie

Love to know exactly what "ad-supported" storage means for AK
I think what Photobucket meant by ad-supported storage was enabling their service to remain free for users on the backs of their advertisers. The advertising revenues supported the site, much like AK which is primarily "ad-supported" Apparently, Photobucket could no longer afford to operate profitably on strictly ad revenues, so they imposed fees (ridiculous fees IMO) for users of the site. However, this apparently backfired--if people don't pony up the user fees and the number of users drop, so do the number of advertisers and subsequent advertising revenues. Advertisers pay for exposure, so if you are reaching a smaller market, they lose interest in your service as a venue for advertising dollars. I think (there I go thinking again) that the new subscription rates are intended to increase the number of users, while still keeping some revenue flow, and subsequently draw some additional advertisers back into the fold.

I know that AK has bigger fish to fry at the moment, but it would be great if someone could write some sort of script that would capture the FB images and store them on AKs server.

You know there are workarounds everywhere, right? (Notice the dates.)

View attachment 1191591
Yes, but those only fix it on your computer. I want everyone to be able to see the images in my posts. I do plan to redo a few of the better ones and host the pics here. I just thought it would be awesome if some script like that could be run at AKs end to edit and host any posts with Photobucket links.

Yes, but those only fix it on your computer. I want everyone to be able to see the images in my posts. I do plan to redo a few of the better ones and host the pics here. I just thought it would be awesome if some script like that could be run at AKs end to edit and host any posts with Photobucket links.

Ah gotcha. I sort of figured that most everyone had implemented a workaround by now.

I switched to another image host but yes, a lot of threads were affected.

I received an email yesterday saying something like photobucket had restored my images but didn't pay much attention cuz I've moved on. I wasn't happy with them anyway because of the pop ups even tho I was paying for the up grade

Back
Top Bottom