It's good to see they took their heads out of their...

Discussion in 'AK News' started by markshan, May 18, 2018.

1. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/17/photobucket-image-hosting-plans/

I went looking at an old thread of mine and noticed the photos which had gone away were back! This is big news for my two favorite scroe threads.

This one... http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/im-not-really-a-jazz-guy-but.709511/ and this one... http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/i-was-just-looking-for-a-record-cabinet.429538/

I hated trying to tell these stories without images.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I decided on "AK News" since this move will affect hundreds of threads here, not just mine, I am certain.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

@markshan

I could be wrong but I believe your photos on AK are considered 'Third-party hosting' and I believe they will eventually go away again unless you subscribe to one of their new plans, which seem a great deal compared to what they were previously.

Might want to upload them into the treads while you have the chance.

The new price plans will replace the old prices, which are still posted on the site but will be updated as the company rolls out a new website in upcoming weeks. The new plans are:

• Free: Photo sharing and ad-supported storage only. No third-party hosting.
    • Basic: 2 gigabytes of photo storage and ad free hosting for $2.49 a month
    • Intermediate: 20 GBs of photo storage for $3.99 a month
    • Expert: 2 terabytes of photo storage for $8.99 a month
    • Add third-party hosting to the intermediate or expert plans for $2.49 more per month
    The limited time offer plan for $1.99 a month includes 10 GBs of storage and third-party hosting. When the offer ends — and no date has been set as the company is monitoring customer response — users who choose to stay with the company must pick one of the other plans. Annual plans will be discounted.

3. buglegirl

buglegirl In The Direction Of The Singularity Subscriber

Hiya,

Love to know exactly what "ad-supported" storage means for AK. Considering all the issues AK is already having with AD Networks and malvertising.

But it seems like a lower price though. And to be honest anyone thinking this should be "Free" should check that attitude. Nothing is really "Free".

Frannie

Bill Ferris likes this.
  4. olson_jr

Gillian says otherwise.

[​IMG]

5. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

I think what Photobucket meant by ad-supported storage was enabling their service to remain free for users on the backs of their advertisers. The advertising revenues supported the site, much like AK which is primarily "ad-supported" Apparently, Photobucket could no longer afford to operate profitably on strictly ad revenues, so they imposed fees (ridiculous fees IMO) for users of the site. However, this apparently backfired--if people don't pony up the user fees and the number of users drop, so do the number of advertisers and subsequent advertising revenues. Advertisers pay for exposure, so if you are reaching a smaller market, they lose interest in your service as a venue for advertising dollars. I think (there I go thinking again) that the new subscription rates are intended to increase the number of users, while still keeping some revenue flow, and subsequently draw some additional advertisers back into the fold.

6. markshan

I know that AK has bigger fish to fry at the moment, but it would be great if someone could write some sort of script that would capture the FB images and store them on AKs server.

7. olson_jr

Sir Script a Lot!

markshan likes this.
  8. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Photofuckit can go screw themselves. The damage is done.

BillWojo

savatage1973, Snow and Bill Ferris like this.
  9. markshan

I understand the sentiment, but it is new ownership and they seem to be trying to get things right.

10. Archguy

Archguy Official Roiurama Factory Rep Subscriber

You know there are workarounds everywhere, right? (Notice the dates.)

Photobucket-fixes.jpg

11. markshan

Yes, but those only fix it on your computer. I want everyone to be able to see the images in my posts. I do plan to redo a few of the better ones and host the pics here. I just thought it would be awesome if some script like that could be run at AKs end to edit and host any posts with Photobucket links.

12. Archguy

Ah gotcha. I sort of figured that most everyone had implemented a workaround by now.

I switched to another image host but yes, a lot of threads were affected.

markshan likes this.
  13. markshan

Who are you using? I'm wide open to suggestions.

14. Archguy

Used Dropbox for awhile but found them too intrusive, so have switched to https://imgbb.com/

They compress files a tiny bit. Don't know if there's anyone good who doesn't.

Here's an example of what you can expect. Original image is sharper.

15. parman

parman Member # 78,336 Subscriber

I received an email yesterday saying something like photobucket had restored my images but didn't pay much attention cuz I've moved on. I wasn't happy with them anyway because of the pop ups even tho I was paying for the up grade