IT'S HALLOWEEN AND TIME FOR A TT BUILD

bob06

Addicted Member
I bought a New Technics 1200G that been sitting in it's box for a month. Since I'm starting the build on Halloween I'm going to name the Table Christine. Some tricks but a lot of treats. This will be a stock TT turned into a killer TT. ;) I ordered a bunch of new parts that are slowly starting to arrive to help in the transformation. Some say Overkill. It will get a new mat, new feet, new power supply and a new arm and whatever else i feel like doing to it. :pIMG_0505.JPG IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0515.JPG

Last edited:
OK I opened her up. Now you can see all her guts. Yuck! The PCB to the left of the center is her heart and I will have to surgically remove it and install a pace maker. :crazy: IMG_0523.JPG

A little bit on the anatomy of the G. Feet are cast iron filled with rubber of some sort. Bottom plate is a heavy cast aluminum and the inner skin (shiny black) is a heavy composite of some sort. IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0525.JPG

You must be asking yourself why is he doing this. Like I said before is because I can. I have read a boatload of reviews and Forums on the new G. Some of the complaints where the feet and the tonearm. I can see the feet are cheap and don't look like they will dampen anything. Now the arm. I know nothing about the 1200 series turntables. Never owned one until now. But from what I have read is that the arm is in par with a 1200 MK IV. From what I understand not very good for $4,000 TT. Also some complained about a haze coming from the table do to the internal power supply. So I'm addressing these problems (If they do exist) before I even plug it in. Crazy? Ya you can say that. :dunno:

You must be asking yourself why is he doing this. Like I said before is because I can. I have read a boatload of reviews and Forums on the new G. Some of the complaints where the feet and the tonearm. I can see the feet are cheap and don't look like they will dampen anything. Now the arm. I know nothing about the 1200 series turntables. Never own one until now. But from what I have read is that the arm is in par with a 1200 MK IV. From what I understand not very good for $4,000 TT. Also some complained about a haze coming from the table do to the internal power supply. So I'm addressing these problems if they do exist before I even plug it in. Crazy Ya you can say that. :dunno:
I always tell my friends "if it's worth doing, it's worth *overdoing*. Looking forward to following this thread!

Not trying to talk you out of it, as your mind seem to be pretty much set on it, but... have you tried it out of the box yet? You can always mod it whenever. I wouldn't miss on my chance to do it for $4K...
Nope haven't even plugged it in yet. Just took it out of the box today. It's only money and I worked for 50yrs to get what I have. No kids to leave it to so I'm going to spend every dime I have before I'm buried. :rflmao:

In the title I said it was a build. It's not really a build more of a parts swap. Not much of a challenge on this one. :(

Subscribed. This will be epic, and feelings will likely get hurt. Asses will be kicked, names taken, and love will be made.

Or something.

Good luck, Bob!

You must be asking yourself why is he doing this. Like I said before is because I can. I have read a boatload of reviews and Forums on the new G. Some of the complaints where the feet and the tonearm. I can see the feet are cheap and don't look like they will dampen anything. Now the arm. I know nothing about the 1200 series turntables. Never owned one until now. But from what I have read is that the arm is in par with a 1200 MK IV. From what I understand not very good for $4,000 TT. Also some complained about a haze coming from the table do to the internal power supply. So I'm addressing these problems (If they do exist) before I even plug it in. Crazy? Ya you can say that. :dunno:

May be worth giving it a spin before swapping in the SME. Matched well to the cart, it’s one of the best behaved arms I’ve seen.

May be worth giving it a spin before swapping in the SME. Matched well to the cart, it’s one of the best behaved arms I’ve seen.
WOW! Your the first that had something positive say about the arm. I could do that since the SME is not showing up till Monday now.

Back
Top Bottom