It's HERE! Finally. CR 2020

MannyE

Exterminate!
img_0280.jpg

I quickly slammed a system together (literally less than 30 minutes) just to hear it. So glad it arrived exactly as advertised on ebay. Very well packaged. Sounds excellent. Phono stages are amazing, equaling any of my external preamps. The whole thing just sounds like a high end component. Which considering the price when new, it should. Pots are clean and the tuner brings in the awful Miami radio stations better than anything I've ever heard.

I can only imagine how much better it will get once the restoration is completed. This hasn't had any work done to it at all. So I can imagine there are a lot of out of spec components and I need to do the power switch and two other service bulletins Yamaha put out. Originally I was going to re-veneer it but it matches the speakers so well, I may just repair the scratches on the case (if you look at the left rear you can see them) and call that good.

It will most likely find a permanent home on that shelf where the xbox is sitting once I adjust it. I jammed the center speaker down there so I could easily and quickly hook everything up, but it belongs where the receiver is sitting now.

Beautiful receiver and well worth the effort and expense to restore.
I have no plans to part with mine any time soon.
Enjoy

Do you know if the service bulletins have been complied with ?

Do you know if the service bulletins have been complied with ?

No, but when I send it off to get restored, I am requesting for all of them to be done. I guess that when someone that knows about these things opens it up, they will be able to tell.

Belt drive vs DD... the classic battle. Unfair battle in this case as the plinth on the Sony allows elephants to walk in front of it with nary a quiver.

I had damn near mint one with original box and packing a few years ago and it was a superb sounding unit.Until it started developing problems and finding someone local was not easy so it moved on down the road.

Not yet. I got hit by a car and fractured a knee and dislocated/fractured a shoulder right around the time when I was going to send it off to the resto. I'm only now getting back on my feet, and start going down the list of "things to do." Many of those things that must be done are non-audio/non-hobby business related (and there are a few) so it will be a while before I get to the fun part of the list. However, it's the first item on that list! Probably around September or so I'll be sending it off.

I gotta tell ya, aside from a little trepidation every time I turn it on and off, it sounds great! I'm only using the phono section though. But a full "before" and "after" will be done.

Back
Top Bottom