It's Here!!!!!!

radioactive

tube gear fanatic
Subscriber
:banana: :banana: :yippy: yes today is the day ive been waiting forward to for almost 2yrs since aqquiring my first mcintosh mc30 and then the second.this then led to the dreaming and fantasizing about a mx110 to go with the lonely mc30's after reading the glowing reviews of it.after mentioning it many time in many posts an offer came my way that anybody in their right mind would have a hard time turning down.as usall though being cash strapped from buying to much other gear :D i had to come up with some quick cash so it was then decided that to get this mx110 i was going to have to sacrafice something and that something turned out to be my beloved fairchild 275 a hard descion?somewhat but i still had the 260's so all was not lost and by the looks of things so far im glad i got it.i just got it hooked up and enjoying the fm before i call it a night but i can tell you this either my philips 673 needs an alignment or the tuner in the 110 is just that much better because there is one low powered fm station here that i can only pick up in mono on the philips that im picking up in full quieting fm stereo on the mx110.more listening and tests in the near future but i think for the rest of the night im just going to stare at it for awhile and let it sink in that i finally got one .cheers eveyone and have a good night.regards,
chris

Last edited:
Whew!!!! I feel like I had an empatheic birth. You went through such a long gestation period. Congrats! Hope you did get some sleep and did not roll over on top of the Mc. It is a very unigue and wonderful piece and proves that once in a while everything comes together just right in a design and a truly great classic is born. I've said for years this unit was 1 of the best designs Mc ever created.

As for the sensitivity of the 110 and the 673, with mine the 673 as would be expected does beat the 110 tuner. I pick up stations with it in acceptable stereo that my 110 picks up but in mono and still too noisy to really enjoy. The 77 does better than the 110 in this regard also but the 110 in absolute terms sounds better.

Next on your list - a nice pair of MC3500s?

Again congrats and may all your days with the children be wonderfully musical.

thanks brian,
more testing is in order but i do believe the philips will need to be taken in for an alignment as i for sure thought that some of the stations i should be picking up no problem i was having problems with.i wasnt sure at first because my other tuners picked up the stations the same as the philips but getting the mac hooked up and going up and down the dial now confirms my suspicion about the philips so off it will go for an alignment as soon as i get settled in with the mx110.the side by side comparision of the two is now going to have to wait.

Next on your list - a nice pair of MC3500s?
what are you tring to do to me?those are just a little overkill for me dont you think?all that power could be dangerous for the little ol heresy's. i will tell you whats next but im sure you can guess. a MI-3.yep im hooked on the mc gear and i dont think theres any turning back .i just hope the quest and the wait for a mi-3 doesnt take as long as it did for the mx110.
chris

mike ,no i did not see those but thanks for the link.im not going to be able to get one for awhile as im going to have to save up but if everything works out and i stay away from ebay i figure by my birthday(aug)i should have enough saved up to get one.in the meantime ill just watch the market to get an idea on the prices.
chris

Well then an excuse to go for a set of K'horns and see if you can crack the foundation. MI-3 is I the 1 pice of Mc I never kept for more than about a month. If looking, then the MPI-4 is really the way to go. Yeah, sounds like the Philips has a problem. Oh, did you call in sick today?

Congratulations Chris!

Congratulations Chris! It's nice to hear the passion in your voice! Hope you enjoy your new MX110... :thmbsp:

MI-3 is I the 1 pice of Mc I never kept for more than about a month. If looking, then the MPI-4 is really the way to go. Yeah, sounds like the Philips has a problem. Oh, did you call in sick today?

brian i realise that the MPI 4 is probally the way to go but i'd like to keep the system all period correct meaning using the tubed MI 3.as for the philips it'll be sidelined and only used for the am.as for calling in sick i thought about it but ive already had a day off in the last week for being sick with a cold and would have felt guilty had i done that.

rick,
the packing was superb :thmbsp: for doing a great job.now i just cant wait to get the mx110 into the case and keep the dust out.

Congratulations Chris! It's nice to hear the passion in your voice! Hope you enjoy your new MX110...

thanks mwp .i've only had it for one day now and although ive been only using the tuner im very impressed withit at its ability to pick up a station about 75miles away in stereo.this weekend ill hook up some other sources but until then its the fm.
chris

Back
Top Bottom