It's Here......

And now I wait. Picked up some clear epoxy.

First, using a flat head screw driver, I cleaned up some of the old glue. It looks like someone tried to reglue the joints before.

First I decided to experiment with bringing the corner seams together evenly. One clamp couldn't pull them together enough. And neither could a corner clamp.

So I picked up a 24" 1100lb clamp when I picked up the expoxy. It did the trick. The seams/joints came together perfectly. But because I was going to be using a 4400 psi expoxy, I didn't want there to be any slippage, so I'm using two clamps.

The trigger clamp isn't strong enough to pull the joints together on it's own, but it is strong enough help hold.

I removed the clamps and mixed the expoxy. Using the flat head screw driver, I held the joint open a little more and used toothpicks to get the epoxy as deep into the joint as possible. After filling up the joint, I reclamped the corner of the cabinet, again using two clamps to hold the edges in alignment. I then used a paper towel to quickly clean up the expoxy that seeped out while squeezing the wood together.

20170312_092230.jpg 20170312_092218.jpg

Well, here's the L12 cabinet with the joints lined up and glued clamped with a clear 4400 psi expoxy. I also left the clamps on for approx 24hrs.

Not sure if I want to use wood filler. Or whether I want to strip and sand it before oiling the wood.

Maybe I'll just use some tung oil and see how it looks. I can always do the filler and sanding at a future date.

20170313_064932-1.jpg 20170313_065023-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom